E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
aaronpacsunday

My Ride: BMW 328ci
Recent Cosmetic Mods for New Member

New member to the fanatics forum but have always spent hours on my ass just looking at some of the beautiful machines on here and reading up whenever id need to figure something out with my bimmer.

So im 18 and bought my first bimmer in september.

its a silver 328ci with 128k on the clock, now 132. i thought it was a pretty solid deal. paid 4200 for it.

probably gonna be letting her go in the summer for a 330 but shes been a dream as she was my realistic highschool dream car.

Check out the cosmetic mods ive done so far and tell me what you think. havent done much but sure looks a lot better than before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Pass.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	435220   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Front View.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	435221   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Passenger View.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	435222   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW New Wheels Frontal.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	435223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	210952_10150633299983384_579898383_11073723_1852498999_o.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	435224   Click image for larger version

Name:	328835_10150633303248384_579898383_11073745_766793749_o.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	435225   Click image for larger version

Name:	298265_10150440703803384_579898383_10355434_769205009_n.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	435226  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
If you're looking for an opinion here it is:

1) You ruined the wheels, now they look like they have 2 years worth of brake dust on them.
2) With the red calipers, you're only showing off your tiny brakes. Silver/black would've looked much better.
3) Bulbs look like they came off a riicer, annoy the shiit out of other drivers. Not to mention that high kelvin is probably illegal and also limits your own visibility, what are they 8000k?

I like the smoked corners, those look good, but you couldn't get the sidemarkers to match?
That is my honest feedback.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
actually black wheels look pretty good on silver car.
maybe cuz the style.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
You have done many things that would just make a really beautiful car a *****. But your money, your car, your choices.
Sorry, but painting those beautiful wheels back, orange calipers and blues HIDs are not my cup of tea.
I like one thing about your car, that is you got rid of amber turn signals.
And did you do any maintenance at all? I see your side skirt with the clip out in the 5th picture.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
aaronpacsunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post

1) You ruined the wheels, now they look like they have 2 years worth of brake dust on them.
2) With the red calipers, you're only showing off your tiny brakes. Silver/black would've looked much better.
3) Bulbs look like they came off a riicer, annoy the shiit out of other drivers. Not to mention that high kelvin is probably illegal and also limits your own visibility, what are they 8000k?

I like the smoked corners, those look good, but you couldn't get the sidemarkers to match?
i was hoping not to go too blue, they are 6000k but it might just be the picture because they arent really that blue. i did the red because i did want them to stand out, not really thinking about the size but true.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
actually black wheels look pretty good on silver car.
maybe cuz the style.
Go ahead plastidip your wheels.. I'll wait.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpacsunday View Post
i was hoping not to go too blue, they are 6000k but it might just be the picture because they arent really that blue. i did the red because i did want them to stand out, not really thinking about the size but true.
6000k is fine. 4300k is best in terms of light output.

Either your camera is fugged up or the bulb was advertised wrong.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
aaronpacsunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
You have done many things that would just make a really beautiful car a *****. But your money, your car, your choices.
Sorry, but painting those beautiful wheels back, orange calipers and blues HIDs are not my cup of tea.
I like one thing about your car, that is you got rid of amber turn signals.
And did you do any maintenance at all? I see your side skirt with the clip out in the 5th picture.
the clip must have fallen out sometime this month as it wasn't that way when i bought it. but im just doing thing piece by piece. im a college kid you know
Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Go ahead plastidip your wheels.. I'll wait.
nah, I am too lazy to do that. I just want mine function normally.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
trj

Quote:
the clip must have fallen out sometime this month as it wasn't that way when i bought it. but im just doing thing piece by piece. im a college kid you know
I totally understand about the clip, I lost my fender liner and haven't put one yet. But don't go blowing up the money in mods, maintenance is the key to enjoy this machine. Black wheels will not prevent the failing water pump.

I am a full time graduate student as well. I do mods too, but I try to keep it OEM and keep it subtle. In fact, I just did complete lighting overhaul with OEM bi xenons and interior LEDs. And I am doing ICV, DISA, CCV and intake boots once the weather gets better in a couple of days.

You don't want to be labelled as a ***** kid in your school, with black wheels and orange calipers you are only inviting street racers and the cops.
With the right setup our cars look great, but you have to do it right. As ac_2007 mentioned, the smoked turn signals and amber side markers is not something you want to have. Go all smoked or keep it amber.

And since you are selling in the summer, send those wheels to me if the paint is irreversible.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
aaronpacsunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I totally understand about the clip, I lost my fender liner and haven't put one yet. But don't go blowing up the money in mods, maintenance is the key to enjoy this machine. Black wheels will not prevent the failing water pump.

I am a full time graduate student as well. I do mods too, but I try to keep it OEM and keep it subtle. In fact, I just did complete lighting overhaul with OEM bi xenons and interior LEDs. And I am doing ICV, DISA, CCV and intake boots once the weather gets better in a couple of days.

You don't want to be labelled as a ***** kid in your school, with black wheels and orange calipers you are only inviting street racers and the cops.
With the right setup our cars look great, but you have to do it right. As ac_2007 mentioned, the smoked turn signals and amber side markers is not something you want to have. Go all smoked or keep it amber.

And since you are selling in the summer, send those wheels to me if the paint is irreversible.
my next car is gonna be a little more mature. when i got it i was just so ready to make it stand out. maintenance wise everything seems pretty sound. was told i should replace my control arms soon. i plan on going all smoked, tail lights are already smoked, just havent had the time i had earlier in the year to put into the car. hoping for another warm day to invest in cleaning her up. the wheels will probably go to the new owner but if not ill pm you.

what do you think i could realistically sell her for. i would like to get at least 6. and i know i have heard so many bad things about them but i would like to get into an ssg e46. i recently saw one for sale. what do you think
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
trj

Quote:
my next car is gonna be a little more mature. when i got it i was just so ready to make it stand out. maintenance wise everything seems pretty sound. was told i should replace my control arms soon. i plan on going all smoked, tail lights are already smoked, just havent had the time i had earlier in the year to put into the car. hoping for another warm day to invest in cleaning her up. the wheels will probably go to the new owner but if not ill pm you.

what do you think i could realistically sell her for. i would like to get at least 6. and i know i have heard so many bad things about them but i would like to get into an ssg e46. i recently saw one for sale. what do you think
Well depends on local market and the buyer. You are aiming a little high at 6k, but its possible. I bought my 01 for the 6500 a couple of months ago. But mine was stock, only came with LED tails. Even the windows are not tinted.
With the mods you are decreasing the car's value if you plan to sell it.
I'd say around 5K is what you should be looking at depending on the condition of your car.

I am not sure if SSG and SMG are the same, but I have not driven any so can't comment. If SSG and SMG are the same then I have heard people having issues with it and pretty expensive to fix. If you plan to get another e46 then why don't you just put more money into yours and make it better. m52 motors respond better to performance mods than m54 engines. I like my auto because I drive a lot in the city and in peak hours. If I was doing more of highway, I would definitely get a 6 speed.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
Lusticles

I think the car looks fine. The only thing I really don't like are the bright blue headlamps. Black wheels look fine, a lot of people have them. They go with the theme. I don't mind red calipers either really.

Its your car. If you like it, perfect. Be proud of what you own, don't let the people here get you down about it.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
aaronpacsunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
I think the car looks fine. The only thing I really don't like are the bright blue headlamps. Black wheels look fine, a lot of people have them. They go with the theme. I don't mind red calipers either really.

Its your car. If you like it, perfect. Be proud of what you own, don't let the people here get you down about it.
thanks man
Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:

^^^^

Old 02-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #16
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Looks good but the wheels and those blue xenon bulbs killed it.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
AJV

My Ride: 164 Quadrifoglio
A clean waxed BMW with clears that has been tastefully lowered will stand out from run of the mill cars. If you are only 18, your friends are probably driving POS old cars unless their parents are spoiling them. If you want to further stand out in the generally classy way (for most BMW drivers), possibly tint the windows, add a subtle lip spoiler, possibly M-tech bumpers and clear corners. It's still your car though and your opinion is the only one that matters, so do what you like.
AJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
If you decide to sell your car shot me a PM. My cousin is interested in a coupe as clean as yours around the same amount you paid for it.
I like what you have done with the car but 6000k look blue. I had them in my 02 Spec V doesn't look good at all.
Overall, looks a lot better than stock...

Definitely shoot me a pm when you decide to sell your car though
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
plippert

My Ride: 2000 328i
I like the black wheels. I also have a silver 328i and thought about painting them as well. I also like your clear turn singles. Where did you get them or how did you do it. I do not like the blue headlamps though. But opinions are like belly buttons everyone has them and the stink.
plippert is offline   Reply With Quote