E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
scottzx7rr

My Ride: 2004 325i
2004 325i Starting Issues

First off Hello and nice to meet every one. I am new here and been looking for answers on your site for my issue as you guys are a great source of info.

I have a 2004 325i with 188k miles. I bought the car a couple of months ago after my Range Rover's 4.4L M62 timing chain broke and damaged the block (new motor is roughly 2-6k, uggggg) and bought this car to use to travel for my kids sporting events.

But last week my car was slow to start the first start up of the day. Took about 15 seconds longer to start but I was a bit low on gas and sitting at an angle in the driveway. So I wrote it off to not letting the fuel pump time to get fuel pressure built up. Ran fine the rest of the day (roughly 3 other startups that were normal and car ran great.

Next day went to start it up and wouldn't start. Car will only start up if I am pumping my throttle and turning over for over a minute. Threw a P0335 and P0727 codes. Came here and YouTube, seen posts about the Crank Potion Sensor and also fuse in the box in the drive side box in the cowl. Checked the fuse(s) first. I can't hear the fuel pump running but I couldn't ever hear it previously either (normally let the car energize a few seconds before turning over to start) but there was a little bit of pressure when I depress the pin in the check port for the fuel rail. Not what I would assume is anywhere close to 50psi. But not sure as I don't have a gauge to confirm that. I did check the pressure after I got the vehicle started and it does push fuel out of it when running so that tells me the fuel pump is running somewhat but going to test manually after finding a site with test specs for the electrical settings for the pump.

I went ahead this weekend and replaced the CPS since I figured it wouldn't hurt to replace since it appeared to be OEM. Now I have more error codes to include an unknown code P1338, Camshaft Postion Sensor, Trans, and a couple others I didn't write down.

Also since this started I am getting failed attempts when resetting my DTC's using my code reader that I have used to reset codes on the car since I bought it. I am afraid I might have an issue with the computer or wiring but wanted to see if anyone could point me where to go next after checking the fuel pump. I seen some posts where people were saying that the fuel pump failing can cause these issues but wanted to confirm that and/or see what you guys thought?

I had a break today and went ahead and pulled the seat. One key I feel the fuel pump activating and fuel flowing. So I would say that it should rule out the fuel pump.

Last edited by scottzx7rr; 08-16-2016 at 02:12 PM.
scottzx7rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. The fuel rail is located under the plastic cover on the top of the engine. Item #2 in the following link is the cap for the test valve.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0900

The pressure has to be at least 45psi.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
scottzx7rr

So I don't have any pressure until after the car starts. Then it is roughly 50psi. I am gonna replace the fuel filter/pressure regulator assembly since I can't tell if it is original or not. But I was able to reset the DTC's and the only ones present at this time are the P0335 and P0727. My question is would the fuel pump/filter being clogged/weak cause the car to act this way?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Not everyone has the codes memorized, what are P0335 and P0727? A weak pump or clogged filter can make for lean codes, the cam position sensor would affect fuel supply.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
2004 325i Starting Issues

Try this website for codes: http://www.equus.com/DTC

The P0335 is a crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction.

The P0727 is no signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

I think the crankshaft position sensor is kaput.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 08-19-2016 at 07:17 AM.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
scottzx7rr

Sorry guys. The P0335 is the Crank Position Sensor. And the P0727 is the Engine Speed Input Circuit. Both seem to go back to the CPS. But I replaced it with an OEM part.