E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #241
van

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to van
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayn View Post
Just got my kit from romania! can't wait to get started.
Lucky!!! Mine is stuck somewhere in NY for the past 4 days
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #242
GLOK1132

My Ride: 2002 325i
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but everyone who uses this software has a computer that is NOT 64 bit windows 7. I find that hard to believe. Has anyone found out how to use this on a 64 bit machine. Vmware is no good for me because running two operating systems on one computer is a bad idea (I know from experience). And I don't have windows professional so XP mode isn't an option. Any body know the answer?

P.s. will the eBay cable work with P A Soft program?
GLOK1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #243
forzam

My Ride: 04 325Ci
VMware is not a second operating system on the computer. It is a program that emulates an operating system.
forzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #244
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
just got my kit in the mail, came in with 3 cds, most of the cds came in winrar format i recommend unzipping the files for better performance
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #245
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
i use win7 64bit on my laptop that i was using last summer to use dis/gt1/progman/ncs exprt.

what issur arr u having? i used vmware with very few problems.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #246
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnotesdip View Post
just got my kit in the mail, came in with 3 cds, most of the cds came in winrar format i recommend unzipping the files for better performance
thank you for the lulz
Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #247
GLOK1132

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzam View Post
VMware is not a second operating system on the computer. It is a program that emulates an operating system.
Their must be a trick that I missed, because VMware says I have to install an operating system from an installation disk. That doesn't sound like an emulator, that sounds like a program that separates a space on my hard drive for a second operating system. If I missed something then please feel free to call me an idiot and send me in the right direction. I have moderate to advanced computer skills, so I am not a complete novice. Also I don't actually have the scanning software or a cable, I just need to know how I could make it work to even see if I should spend the money.
GLOK1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #248
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOK1132 View Post
Their must be a trick that I missed, because VMware says I have to install an operating system from an installation disk. That doesn't sound like an emulator, that sounds like a program that separates a space on my hard drive for a second operating system. If I missed something then please feel free to call me an idiot and send me in the right direction. I have moderate to advanced computer skills, so I am not a complete novice. Also I don't actually have the scanning software or a cable, I just need to know how I could make it work to even see if I should spend the money.
Ah, I see why your confused. VMWare doesn't just have a space in there for "windows xp" or "windows 7" or whatever operating system you want it to run. It still needs to install the operating system - but rather then making your computer dual boot as if it were really 2 different operating systems, it creates a VMWare file that has the operating system in it. So you still have to boot your PC like normal, then run VMware, then then whatever operating system you made with VMware.

VMWare then loads that file with windows whatever, and runs it. You can still access your PC as per normal, you just have another window open with VMware running.

I feel I really suck at explaining things - So another way to look at it is look at it like a Nintendo emulator if you've ever run one on your PC. VMware = emulator, XP/7/Vista = ROM. When you load the rom you need to make a savepoint before it will work.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #249
rfbmwfan

My Ride: 1999 323i ZSP
I'm having an issue with DIS saying that the power on pin 15 is low or something. It won't auto detect my car. I'm also having an issue with Progman. I turn the ignition on and it starts to detect the key code or something, and it loads for about 10 mins and says it doesn't detect an e46 model.

I've changed COM ports to 1, and I've disabled my firewall. I'm using the software from the Romanian seller on ebay.
rfbmwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #250
rfbmwfan

I'm having an issue with DIS saying that the power on pin 15 is low or something. It won't auto detect my car. I'm also having an issue with Progman. I turn the ignition on and it starts to detect the key code or something, and it loads for about 10 mins and says it doesn't detect an e46 model.

I've changed COM ports to 1, and I've disabled my firewall. I'm using the software from the Romanian seller on ebay.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #251
forzam

Does INPA work?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #252
rfbmwfan

I haven't tried INPA yet. Do I need to start the ifhsrv32 and the diaghead before opening it like for opening DIS and Progman?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #253
forzam

No, just run INPA. It will load EDIABAS automatically. See if you get two black dots for ignition and battery when you hook it up with your car on.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #254
rfbmwfan

It's showing battery and ignition off :-/

I followed the steps in the videos to a t lol. The only thing I haven't done is edited the windows path.. think that could be my problem? I didn't get any errors on start up or install like the instructions said.. so at this point I have no clue.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #255
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbmwfan View Post
It's showing battery and ignition off :-/

I followed the steps in the videos to a t lol. The only thing I haven't done is edited the windows path.. think that could be my problem? I didn't get any errors on start up or install like the instructions said.. so at this point I have no clue.
INPA shows battery and ignition. The errors on startup are in WinKFP.

Yes, the windows path is a crucial part of the installation. Like I've already said, get remote assistance from the seller if you have trouble with the installation. Most likely it is going to be a simple fix.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #256
forzam

Don't bother with DIS until you get INPA working, as it is much simpler. You do need to make sure your windows path is set. Also, there is a chance that the pins in the cable are not lining up in the socket under the dash. Make sure they are straight.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #257
POLECAT

My Ride: 2001 330ci M-T
i have 64bit win7. a few error codes gave while installin program. the best way. install virtual box and install into xp. everythin is workin good
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #258
rfbmwfan

yeah, when I run the OBDsetup for ediabas, the dos window shows one warning. Under value tag - 19 - warning.. I guess I didn't do something.. I even tried to edit the registry like it says. Oh well.. hopefully the seller will get back to me soon.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #259
rfbmwfan

wait, just fixed that lol. Guess I'll be trying it again tomorrow morning. I'm gonna be pissed if it was that simple haha.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #260
TRIPLE_O

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbmwfan View Post
wait, just fixed that lol. Guess I'll be trying it again tomorrow morning. I'm gonna be pissed if it was that simple haha.
You fixed the warning? how?

3 Series Owners Manuals
http://www.bmwsections.com/docs/3series/

For Sale (Exterior Lights)

..sincerely Jenny
TRIPLE_O is offline   Reply With Quote