E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #541
NukeMiller

My Ride: 2005 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
Can someone confirm that if you have a car from march 2003 or newer then the EU tunes are not possible? Asides from an aftermarket tune
Not totally true...If you have MS45 (SULEV) then you are screwed! Like me Only thing I can do is update my DME to MS45.1....if you have MS43 then you are good to go
NukeMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #542
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
Has anyone gotten an error 200.13 when trying auto connect or after manually selecting your car in DIS?
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #543
shwagon

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I got about 75% done with the flash and this error came up

Now the car will not run. (cranks but does not start). The temp guage is stuck on hot and the fuel guage is stuck on full. DIS is not seeing the DME but it sees other modules. I have tried a Battery reset with no success.

Any ideas or am I fVucked?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #544
Guest021715
Account closed.

Were you hooked up to a battery tender, and if so, was the voltage constant? Around 14v is required for the flash.

If you have PA Soft 1.4, try the "DME-EWS Adaptations" function. (Assuming the module shows up).
Without this function, my car would've never started.

Last edited by Guest021715; 02-26-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361940433
Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #545
shwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Were you hooked up to a battery tender, and if so, was the voltage constant? Around 14v is required for the flash.

If you have PA Soft 1.4, try the "DME-EWS Adaptations" function. (Assuming the module shows up).
I was hooked up with the one from amazon and had it on 15 amps.
I have the PA Soft, ill try somthing in the AM
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #546
shwagon

Quote:

I tried PA Soft but it wasn't reading the dme. It would let me go in and select the EWS adaptations but would fail due to no communication with DME.

I have also tried reflashing but keep getting all kinds of errors...'

Any other advise?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #547
Guest021715
Account closed.

Few options:

- You don't have "fast baudrate" enabled, do you? If so disable that.
- Also, uncheck UIF write after data, UIF write after program, UIF write in comfort mode
- If this doesn't work, try flashing another DME version (not EU2)
Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #548
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
There is a slight chance that your DME is ****ed, but maybe not.

First before doing anything, go to device manager and check the settings for your interface. Make sure that latency is set to 1ms. Anything higher often causes communication errors.
Open Tool32, and select 11MDS43.PRG as the file. Do the SG_IDENT job and see if it picks up anyhting. If it does, then you can probably recover the DME (even if the returned data is pretty much garbage).

Basically what you'll want to do is start up WinKFP, enter the ZB number you want, enter your VIN, and get it to the point right before you'd hit program. Then put the car in accessory mode and immediately hit flash. It *should* proceed.

If your car is an automatic, try unplugging the EGS -- it has been known to interfere with the flash on some cars.

Oh and next time you do the flash, close IFHService. You do not want anything that uses EDIABAS to be open while flashing the car (except for WinKFP itself of course)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-02-2013 at 01:57 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #549
Guest021715
Account closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
There is a slight chance that your DME is ****ed, but maybe not.

First before doing anything, go to device manager and check the settings for your interface. Make sure that latency is set to 1ms. Anything higher often causes communication errors.
Open Tool32, and select 11MDS43.PRG as the file. Do the SG_IDENT job and see if it picks up anyhting. If it does, then you can probably recover the DME (even if the returned data is pretty much garbage).

Basically what you'll want to do is start up WinKFP, enter the ZB number you want, enter your VIN, and get it to the point right before you'd hit program. Then put the car in accessory mode and immediately hit flash. It *should* proceed.

If your car is an automatic, try unplugging the EGS -- it has been known to interfere with the flash on some cars.

Oh and next time you do the flash, close IFHService. You do not want anything that uses EDIABAS to be open while flashing the car (except for WinKFP itself of course)
Saved information for my next flash. Don't remember if I was setup for 1ms when doing EU2.

Any updates shwagon?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #550
shwagon

Quote:
Saved information for my next flash. Don't remember if I was setup for 1ms when doing EU2.

Any updates shwagon?
Yea, good info.

In trying to figure out what went wrong I completely deleted all the BMW tools and reinstalled. I then had a lot of issues getting the C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GDATEN files working correctly. Hopefully I can get to it today and try again.

My one question is after un-checking the UIF write boxes, it never seems to ask for a VIN, does this sound right?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #551
shwagon

Ok, we're in business!

I think my problem was I was running INPA the same time as programming when it crashed.

I then reinstalled all the BMW std tools and messed around with the gdatan files.

I pugged it up, flashed the tune, had to reset ews-DME alignment and it started right up.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #552
Guest021715
Account closed.

Awesome, good to hear.

For the record, I never had to input a VIN, just the tune number.
VIN function I believe is when you want the software to auto-determine the latest flash for your DME. Terra can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #553
Akonion

My Ride: Mercedes C230
I am downloading the software from a link posted on BimmerForums. Would the same adapter used by the PASoft software work with this software suite?

2006 E46 330Ci or R171 SLK <---- MUST ACQUIRE
Akonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #554
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMiller View Post
Not totally true...If you have MS45 (SULEV) then you are screwed! Like me Only thing I can do is update my DME to MS45.1....if you have MS43 then you are good to go
All 03/2003+ non-xi E46s in the US have MS45.1 DMEs, not just SULEVs. All SULEVs also have MS45.1 (even those built earlier)

Quote:
Awesome, good to hear.

For the record, I never had to input a VIN, just the tune number.
VIN function I believe is when you want the software to auto-determine the latest flash for your DME. Terra can correct me if I'm wrong.
UIF writes require VIN. If UIF writes are disabled, then it won't ask for VIN. When doing an upgrade if you don't enter a VIN, it will simply take it from the previous UIF entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonion View Post
I am downloading the software from a link posted on BimmerForums. Would the same adapter used by the PASoft software work with this software suite?
PASoft adapter won't work. Get a VAG 409.1 cable or a D-CAN interface. Galletto interface might work also (which also has the advantage of being able to dump the DME) -- I have not tested that interface w/ EDIABAS however.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #555
Akonion

Quote:
PASoft adapter won't work. Get a VAG 409.1 cable or a D-CAN interface. Galletto interface might work also (which also has the advantage of being able to dump the DME) -- I have not tested that interface w/ EDIABAS however.
Awesome! Before I pull the trigger on it, is this the proper item?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...701021859.html

Is the the Galletto interface of which you are referring to?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-...755162050.html

If you were to buy one, which one would you get and why?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #556
TerraPhantm

First one will work. Second one might (should) work with the programs mentioned here, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I have both, but mostly because I've been doing a fair bit of DME research (along with a bunch of other guys at M3Forum). If you have no interest in learning how to tune your DME, then there's little reason to buy a Galletto (though if you have an M3, I'd recommend it since we've been making a ton of progress.)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-05-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #557
Akonion

Quote:
First one will work. Second one might (should) work with the programs mentioned here, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I have both, but mostly because I've been doing a fair bit of DME research (along with a bunch of other guys at M3Forum). If you have no interest in learning how to tune your DME, then there's little reason to buy a Galletto (though if you have an M3, I'd recommend it since we've been making a ton of progress.)
Well, looking at the benefits of switching to a Euro tuned DME seems worthwhile. I would be incredibly nervous about it though... :S

I will order the first cable for now, if I reach a point when I want to switch over to a Euro DME then I can order one. I am opting more for this one because of its length http://dx.com/p/usb-kkl-vag-com-409-...m-length-37635

One more final question, do the euro tunes usually get better gas mileage along with all the other benefits?

Last edited by Akonion; 03-05-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added DX link
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #558
shwagon

I have flashed my 04/2001 (m54/ms43) 325i 5-speed wagon with what I thought was the appropriate file (I chose 7564762) for EU2. I did this to eliminate the bank two O2 sensors after a header install. Its that time of year to have my inspection done but I still have two not ready codes for secondary air and heater (I assume this the bank one O2 sensors). My car will not pass unless it has one or less not ready codes. I have driven a couple hundred miles (city and highway) in attempt to set them.

On a side note the "check engine light" does not come on when I turn the key to the on position. This doesn't bother me and I have double checked to make sure there are no pending codes in the DME, I just wanted to give all the information.

Could I have possibly put in the wrong program number? Any advise would be great.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #559
E46Snowball

My Ride: 330i
So is there any point to flash an eu2 tune on my car without catless headers. I don't know much about how cats work....
or would it screw things up?
6 speed
E46Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #560
lrz14

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Does anyone have a link or know if it is possible to switch my e46 m3 DME to a csl or if there a flash to obtain more power?
lrz14 is offline   Reply With Quote