E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
tom04330xi

My Ride: 2004 330XI
SES light with rough idle

About a month ago while driving I noticed a distinct sulfur smell. It smelled as if it was coming from the heater vent and lasted for just a moment. The car seemed to be running fine otherwise. About two weeks later the SES light came on and then went off the next day. Now after another couple weeks the SES light stays on all the time. I scanned it and got the following codes.

PO313 misfire detected with low fuel
PO304 cylinder 4 misfire detected
PO171 sytem too lean bank 1
PO174 system too lean bank 2
PO303 cylinder 3 misfire detected
PO302 cylinder 2 misfire detected

I cleared the codes and it ran perfectly for about a day or so. The light came back on when I pulled out in traffic and accelerated quickly. It instantly started running rough again. The car is a 2004 330XI with 110,000 on the clock. I have a small valve cover leak that may be creating a vacuum leak, not sure. I did notice that the right exhaust pipe blows out at about twice the pressure as the left, not sure if they are seperate pipes coming back from the engine or what. I was thinking clogged CAT or vacuum leak (brakes are brand new but seem to be struggling to stop the car). Any ideas?
tom04330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Check for tears in the boots between the intake and throttle body.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
tom04330xi

Well, it finally died. It was trying to stall at every stop light and sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders all the way home. Now when I start it, I hear a wierd spark knock noise from the top right side of the engine. I also hear a fairly loud air hissing noise. Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
You either have not enough fuel or too much unmetered air. Like Kubica said, check the intake boots for tears. Also check the MAF for proper function. To test that, unplug it and try to start it again. Don't run it for too long this way. Also, if there aren't tears and such clean out the intake track and replace the air filter. Check the DISA for proper operation and clean the throttle body and idle control valve.

Other things to check is the fuel pump and filter. Pop the back seat up and see if you can hear the pump running. Replace the fuel filter no matter what if you haven't already and have more than 60k on the clock. Next thing to check is the spark plugs, make sure they aren't fouled and if they are replace them. Check your spark plug boots for cracks, tears, or other abnormal defects. Replace if bad.

Last thing to get to is the injectors, make sure they are clean. If not, try to find some way to clean them or just buy new ones. Check the wiring and connections to all the injectors.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
tom04330xi

I found a hole in what I think is the lower intake boot. It's in the big tube running from the maf sensor that's two piece. It's in the small part that y's off the lower tube right at the engine. I just hope it didn't hurt the engine driving it with so much unmetered air going in. Does anyone have a pic of the lower intake boot for comparison? Also, where's the best place to buy a new one?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Type in the last 7 digits of your VIN# at realoem.com and search for part numbers. Buy them from pelicanparts.com or bmwpartssource.com.

After you replace it, clear the codes and change the oil.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
You should read this post carefully

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6&highlight=50
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
tom, did you solve the issue?
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
tom04330xi

Yeah, the lower intake boot was torn and the DISA valve was broken. The center rotating section was broken off at the base and thus not closing properly. Runs great now, thanks to everyone for the help.