E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
jdunn1034

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Send a message via AIM to jdunn1034
power steering cap gasket

Last week I was replacing my headlight bulbs and I noticed that the power steering reservoir was covered in a grease like substance. I looked into it and I found that there is supposed to be a gasket under the cap which mine did not have. I checked out realoem.com and found the part number for the gasket. it looks like it should be a flat gasket but when i ordered the part, a rubber o-ring showed up with the correct part number. I tried putting it on but the cap would not seat right with it on. Did I get the wrong part or am I retarded and not putting it on right? anyone run into this?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
ZR1Trev

My Ride: '03 325i
If you look real close at your cap you will probably find that it already has an o-ring installed. It doesn't look like an o-ring because it is deformed and hard. It took me a while to see it because it looks like a part of the cap. Just pry it off and install the new o-ring.

Last edited by ZR1Trev; 04-06-2010 at 07:15 PM.
ZR1Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
you need to pry off the old gasket first to put on the new one

sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Adam330i

My Ride: 03 M3
HA HA I tried to do the same thing one time! I had put down trying to fix it and actually had to come back and look at it again only to realize that there was a gasket attached to the cap. I still feel like such an idiot that I missed that lol!
Adam330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
When you try to replace the O-ring, it seems natural the cap already has one on it to be replaced?
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
jdunn1034

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Send a message via AIM to jdunn1034
thanks guys, at least I know I am not the only one who didn't see the old o-ring. It didn't look at all like there was one but I didn't look too hard.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
First time I replaced this ring, I also thought I didn't have it. Took me ten minutes of futile attempts to put a new ring on to realize the old one was still there.
But the leak may not necessarily be through the seal. It may be a "normal" leak through the cap hole. This hole is required to keep the pressure constant when the oil heats up and expands. But some oil may leak through, particlularly during spirited driving.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
hahalife

My Ride: Hellrot 323i
Part number for this? I'll need it too.
hahalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
NoVaDreier

My Ride: 2001 325i
Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Cap O-Ring: 32411128333
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Sabreman

My Ride: '04 330xi auto
I just did the same repair last week, my old gasket was almost 6 years old and shot. My dealer had the o-ring in stock and charged $4.16. It so far has stopped the mess on the top part of the reservoir, you should notice some improvement. While you're at it, you should look at the fluid, if it's a dirty black or brown, you might want to flush with fresh ATF. Search the threads for "turkey baster" and you will see how it can be done from the reservoir without going underneath and draining the entire PS system. Careful not to overfill. Some people replace the entire reservoir in order to get a new filter, but seems no clear consensus on whether that extra step is really needed, unless I suppose the silver filter is really fouled or your reservoir is cracked. It's about a $30 part I think. I did not change out my reservoir.
Sabreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
mickey513

My Ride: e46
e46fanatics to the rescue:

After years of owning the car, my lazy ass decided it was time to change the PS fluid. A trip to Walmart for a $2 turkey blaster and $5 qt. of Castrol Import ATF fluid (meets Dexron III specs), couldn't find Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or any Dexron III or newer fluid there *strange* except the Castrol Import ATF fluid.

Anyway, off to change the fluid per the DIY by Kris L. Drained and refilled twice but for some reason could not find the gasket on the PS cap. So I slid the new gasket on w/o taking off the old one but the the cap just would not close properly.

Came on here, did a search and surely enough, there was a gasket that was very hard and looked like a part of the cap. A flat head screw driver and in less then a minute, the old one was off and new one was on.
mickey513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
hammerheart

My Ride: 02 330XI
finally found where the old gasket was... the old gasket has been squeezed into triangular cross-section shape already and very hard to notice
hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
Mc 007

My Ride: 325ci Performance
very good info,next work change the o-ring
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
In stock and ready to ship. $2.06
Click Here

BMWPartssource.com