E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
GolfingElk

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Coupe
Exclamation SMG Weird Shifts - Part II

Well, 3 months after replacing the gear position sensor fixed my SMG issues, I have some new ones.

Up-shifting at high RPM (usually over 4000) and hard acceleration causes the gear light to flash the gear number I've selected, but not actually shift until I let off the gas. This happens 1 -> 2, 2 -> 3, and 3 -> 4 (I haven't really been able to test 5 -> 6) and it happens every time. While the gear number flashes, if I have my foot on the gas I just coast. When I let off the gas it shifts. I am even able to get to shift reasonably fast, but only if I let off the gas while it shifts. Aggressive 4 -> 2 downshifts work fine. I have not seen any warning lights come on the dash. Car drives fine as long as I don't drive it hard.

It seems like the symptoms of a broken compression spring, maybe? I asked the shop I took it to for the GPS replacement to look at the springs while they had the transmission down for that job, but of course they didn't listen to me.

Any recommendations or prior experience anyone has with this kind of issue, please let me know. I'm trying a salmon relay swap and battery reset just for the hell of it, but I doubt that will fix anything.

Sadly, after denying it for so long, I can finally say... I wish I had just bought a manual
GolfingElk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:17 AM   #2
iansevilla

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Here is my ex SMG.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1426313820.136273.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	592794
iansevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
GolfingElk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansevilla View Post
Here is my ex SMG.Attachment 592794
How much did that cost and did you take it somewhere to have it done?
Old 03-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
iansevilla

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
I took it to EuroAuto Spot in Miramar, San Diego. Around $4k... No more Cog light and SES.. :-)
iansevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
nikzbord

My Ride: E46 M3
Sounds like a clutch issue.
nikzbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 02
It is compression springs. And also check your smg fluid. You should have done the compression springs while it was at the shop. Now they are going to charge you again just to replace $30 worth of springs. Also did the shop use a GT1 tool or inpa to bleed the system after replacing the GPS?
Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
GolfingElk

Another thing that leads me to believe it's the springs is that it happened right after I switched to S6 mode for a brief, spirited drive. It seems as though maybe that was what ended up finally breaking the spring, as the car had shifted fine up until that point.

And yes, I wish the shop would have checked the springs like I asked, maybe if I took it back to them and the springs were the problem I could get a discount on labor (not likely). I'm not sure if they bled the system either, I don't know exactly everything they did when they ran the re-adaptation. I would hope they did, the shop had a BMW certified technician working on it, and I thought that was part of the process.

I have a couple of further questions that maybe somebody could answer for me:

Is there a good way to test for a broken spring vs. another problem? I'm just a little hesitant to tell someone to go ahead and do this without some sort of further diagnostics. No warning lights have come on yet, so I'm not sure if there are any fault codes. I've heard that if you let the car search for the gear long enough without lifting the cog light will come on, but I've avoided this because it sounds like then it locks you out of that gear until the car is shut off.

Do you need to run the whole re-adaptation process after this job? I've seen multiple threads discussing this issue and some mention it while others don't.

Either way I will try to get this taken care of sometime in the next few weeks and report back. I'm not super worried about getting it in right away,since I can still drive the car fine as long as I lift on hard shifts, but it definitely makes the car feel kinda crippled.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
GolfingElk

UPDATE (finally)

Wow I didn't realize it had been over 2 months since I first had this problem. I just kind of dealt with it for a while, and drove around somewhat gingerly to avoid any issues.

Finally though, I bought the compression spring that I thought might be the culprit, and brought it in to get replaced (shout out to forum user prostock3 who did all the actual work for me, if anyone in SE Michigan needs work done on their car, send him a message, he has done great work on my car several times now).

Sure enough, that spring that everyone seems to have issues with (behind the blind plug) was very clearly busted (see pic). He popped in the new spring, re-calibrated the SMG and it drives like new again! Amazing. If you have symptoms like mine, definitely check this out before replacing the entire transmission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-08 18.57.42.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	602958  

Last edited by GolfingElk; 06-08-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
GolfingElk

Here's a bunch of links that I assembled while researching this issue, including a DIY, in case anyone wants to research more.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=433044

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=396594

http://bit.ly/1IzrIvZ

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=23&fg=15 ---> this has the part numbers. I think the spring that's seems to break on most people's is #6

Last edited by GolfingElk; 06-08-2015 at 06:25 PM.