E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
I just meant there is no shortage of capable drivers at the moment. Lots of ppl left with no drive.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #22
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Exactly. Open to the public just like Monaco!

Anyway, I won't be racing on it, but I'm just excited to be able to drive on it!
You know they remove the kerbing right?

It's just a street with no history unlike Monaco streets.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

you can go drive 'the track' right now! let me know your lap time
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
I just meant there is no shortage of capable drivers at the moment. Lots of ppl left with no drive.
With the addition of another returning F1 champ, the grid sure is going to be choked with guys who know how to win. I make it Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Schumie, Button & Kimi as F1 champs - that'd be a pretty good top 6 grid at the first race!

Am I the only one who thinks that Webber and Massa jsut don't have what it takes? I know Webber was close in 2010 as was Massa when Hamilton won the title on the last corner in Brazil, but these years aside, are they really exceptional F1 drivers? (I'd include Button and Kimi in this non-exceptional grouping too, BTW)

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
You know they remove the kerbing right?

It's just a street with no history unlike Monaco streets.
I'm driving the course before the race...I know I can't drive while it's still set up for the race.

Just being able to drive on the same course, even at the speed limit will let me appreciate the race that much more. That's all I'm saying. I've followed F1 longer than anyone here, I'm pretty sure. Finally, I get to drive on a course...and it's only 20 mins. away. I can't not cruise the circuit, and I bet if you were nearby, you'd do the same.

Maybe someone with a gopro wants to join me!

Oh, and there's plenty of history on those streets...NJ was one of the first colonies, and before that, native Americans, probably Wooly Mammoths at some point--just not exciting history!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
Goughie

Caterham first to launch 2012 car after pics leak online

Story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/16727904.stm

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #27
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

Button is an exceptional driver. He has become better with age, where as some people have slipped, Massa and Webber are 2 of them.

But it really does matter what car you are in. Barrichello almost won the championship with Brawn, then he sat with Williams for their worst season ever. I don't think his abilities changed much in that time period.

So its tough to say with certainty.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #28
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
I'm driving the course before the race...I know I can't drive while it's still set up for the race.

Just being able to drive on the same course, even at the speed limit will let me appreciate the race that much more. That's all I'm saying. I've followed F1 longer than anyone here, I'm pretty sure. Finally, I get to drive on a course...and it's only 20 mins. away. I can't not cruise the circuit, and I bet if you were nearby, you'd do the same.

Maybe someone with a gopro wants to join me!

Oh, and there's plenty of history on those streets...NJ was one of the first colonies, and before that, native Americans, probably Wooly Mammoths at some point--just not exciting history!
Fair enough. If you pick me up from NYC, I'll bring my gopro and Iphone 4S mount.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that Webber and Massa jsut don't have what it takes? I know Webber was close in 2010 as was Massa when Hamilton won the title on the last corner in Brazil, but these years aside, are they really exceptional F1 drivers? (I'd include Button and Kimi in this non-exceptional grouping too, BTW)
I don't know how to feel about this either. Massa definately looks worse since the accident at the Hungaroring. I think he used to be exceptional, especially the year he almost won the title. But since then, not much. I don't know if it is a head game or what. But he was a fighter and now he usually is playing defense against Sauber or Williams.

Webber has moments of brilliance, but not consistently brilliant. I don't consider him exceptional

Alonso is (IMO) a worse driver today than he was at Renault or McLaren. I don't see any fire out of him.

I keep calling Button "average". But then he pulls a drive like he did in Canada last year (or Brazil '09) where he looks like a mad man. I think he has it in him, and I think he uses it more often than he gets credit for. I prefer Button on an aggressive charge (like he did at Monano last year with 3 stops) rather than a "conserve the tires" approach. I think Button was more aggressive in 2011 than in previous years, and I hope the trend continues.

But so much in F1 is the car and luck. Button's first win was luck. Hulkenburg's pole position was luck. Vettel is the only current driver than I can recall having a merit-based win in an inferior car (Torro Rossa at Monza in the rain). How far up would Vettel be today in a Sauber? 5th at best? Driver's can only do so much. It's hard to gage.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #30
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

dmax. go drive it right now.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #31
Goughie

Quote:
Button is an exceptional driver. He has become better with age, where as some people have slipped, Massa and Webber are 2 of them.

But it really does matter what car you are in. Barrichello almost won the championship with Brawn, then he sat with Williams for their worst season ever. I don't think his abilities changed much in that time period.

I do agree that the car makes a big difference and that Button has improved hugely. I'm not sure that he's as consistent as he needs to be to be really great, however. Whilst conceding that he was really erratic last season, you always feel that Lewis could get more out of a car more often than Jensen can. Perhaps now the issues of his father and GF have been put to bed he'll come back with more focus this year?

As for Barrichello, he was convincingly blown away by Button in the 2009 season. That said, it was a hell of an achievement to take the BAR/Honda and turn it around into the Brawn and wipe the floor with the field in year 1 of existence - the assessment of the rulebook changes and the subsequent engineering leap was remarkable.

Last edited by Goughie; 01-25-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:

I bet if you were nearby, you'd do the same.
I would do it too. Go at 3am and you could probably hit apexes. It might be worth a wreckless driving ticket.

Last edited by 325seeeye; 01-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #33
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Fair enough. If you pick me up from NYC, I'll bring my gopro and Iphone 4S mount.
Quote:
dmax. go drive it right now.
Ron, when you coming up? If you're here now, and you're serious...I am too!

Simsima...I'm on it...sort of! Go pro would be nice to have on board so you guys can share the excitement of seeing an e46 pretending to be an F1 car at 35 mph! LOL

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #34
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

In for the vid this should be good.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #35
yamashek

My Ride: PYM3 6MTCoupe
ouch.
that front nose looks horrible!

But, I am very excited for the new season! I really hope we won't see the 2008 Kimi, more like the Kimi back in Mclaren days.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #36
ZHud3

My Ride: black 323Ci
Quote:
With the addition of another returning F1 champ, the grid sure is going to be choked with guys who know how to win. I make it Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Schumie, Button & Kimi as F1 champs - that'd be a pretty good top 6 grid at the first race!

i think webber has a chance. vettel is the only one in his way imo. massa on the other hand ehh . just like you said except for one season he hasn't really been that impressive. how many times did he actually qualify in the top five? i think there was a race in 2011 season where he didn't even make q3. (was it canada?) Im excited to see what williams, FI, torro rosso, and sauber do this season. maybe one of them can challenge the power-house teams.

2000 323Ci
1992 325is Sold ):
1984 325e

Last edited by ZHud3; 01-25-2012 at 05:01 PM.
ZHud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #37
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
Alonso is (IMO) a worse driver today than he was at Renault or McLaren. I don't see any fire out of him.
Review last year's races. Fred drove the wheels off the red crapwagon. Compare his performance to Massa's. The only thing Alonso has lost is a competitive car. Maranello stopped development on the 2011 chassis midway through last season, and Alonso still managed some brilliant finishes.

Ferrari started work on their 2012 car early, so look for that jumpstart to pay off in Australia. The 2012 car should be a force majeure.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #38
bimmerbum46

My Ride: sweet pair of Vans
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbum46
2012 will be Alonso's resurgence IMO
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #39
ZHud3

My Ride: black 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Review last year's races. Fred drove the wheels off the red crapwagon. Compare his performance to Massa's. The only thing Alonso has lost is a competitive car. Maranello stopped development on the 2011 chassis midway through last season, and Alonso still managed some brilliant finishes.

Ferrari started work on their 2012 car early, so look for that jumpstart to pay off in Australia. The 2012 car should be a force majeure.

2000 323Ci
1992 325is Sold ):
1984 325e
ZHud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #40
Black107

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:

Kimi isn't going to do anything.

I hate Webber, I feel like he's a waste of that Red Bull seat.

Massa hasn't been the same since he got hit in the head.

Quote:

IMO, Rubens has become slower and more mistake prone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
I don't know how to feel about this either. Massa definately looks worse since the accident at the Hungaroring. I think he used to be exceptional, especially the year he almost won the title. But since then, not much. I don't know if it is a head game or what. But he was a fighter and now he usually is playing defense against Sauber or Williams.

Webber has moments of brilliance, but not consistently brilliant. I don't consider him exceptional

I keep calling Button "average". But then he pulls a drive like he did in Canada last year (or Brazil '09) where he looks like a mad man. I think he has it in him, and I think he uses it more often than he gets credit for. I prefer Button on an aggressive charge (like he did at Monano last year with 3 stops) rather than a "conserve the tires" approach. I think Button was more aggressive in 2011 than in previous years, and I hope the trend continues.

But so much in F1 is the car and luck. Button's first win was luck. Hulkenburg's pole position was luck. Vettel is the only current driver than I can recall having a merit-based win in an inferior car (Torro Rossa at Monza in the rain). How far up would Vettel be today in a Sauber? 5th at best? Driver's can only do so much. It's hard to gage.
Again, I feel like Massa isn't the same driver he was before the accident.

Button has had some great drives in the McLaren, but it's hard to forget all those shitty years at Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post

Agreed. Alonso is one of the best (if not the best) at getting every last tenth out of a car. He rarely makes mistakes, and always brings the car home.

Should be an interesting season. I hope Lewis melts down again and gets canned.