E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #81
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Looks good. Drive it around much, yet? How does the car feel with the 700 springs?

What offset are your wheels? I haven't mounted my Apex wheels yet, they are 18x9.5 ET22.
I've driven the car around a bit and it feels really good. The rear is a little harsh yes, but that's no problem. I'm surprised at how well it feels actually. Unfortunately, the stock front springs are ridiculously soft. The offset on my wheels are ET35. The rears will fit your car well, but the fronts will need a lot of camber to tuck them in there if the car is lowered at all. Even my fronts stick out about 1/4" right now.
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #82
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Nice! Looking forward to seeing how the season goes for you! I'm also trying to decide on what spring rates I want. I hear mixed emotions from everyone... so it makes it hard, lol.

Thanks for the tips, I'll probably just run the APex when I feel like being super aggressive...
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #83
MasterC17

Worked on the ducting a bit today and basically got one side done. The ducting to the SMG Pump came out ok (the hose is realistically too big) and I'm just ducting slightly farther out along the stock brake ducting path. To mount the duct itself I just used the factory hole for the fog lights and drilled a small hole in the duct and screwed it in. Worked like a charm! It even holds strong!

P.S. Is the hose too close to the alternator?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #84
Tarmac_E46_M3

Looks good. I need to do that too!

I don't think the hose is too close, unless the tube starts to melt but I would think with the airflow, you should be ok.

What size hoses are those? And where did you get them from? I should start doing little things like this that won't kill my wallet!
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #85
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Looks good. I need to do that too!

I don't think the hose is too close, unless the tube starts to melt but I would think with the airflow, you should be ok.

What size hoses are those? And where did you get them from? I should start doing little things like this that won't kill my wallet!
They are 3" Hoses that I got from Summit Racing. The brand is Allstar. The ducts are the same brand. I figure anything I can do to help the SMG pump is a good thing. The harmonic balancers also have a tendancy to split on these cars when they get hot and they are old (which mine is!). For now I'm just ducting to the brakes via the stock route but I will be installing the BW Brake Ducting Kit soon. This whole process also included removing the washer fluid bottle which saved me about 10lbs with fluid.

And here's the final product:

Oops, off center, I'll go fix that!

To harmonic balancer:

To SMG Pump:

Stock brake ducting route:

Last edited by MasterC17; 03-22-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #86
Tarmac_E46_M3

Nice, looks very functional, I like it!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #87
MasterC17

Installed the Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, and Voltmeter gauges today, as I had them in the 330. However, I want to put the Oil Pressure and Coolant Temperature warning lights in the line of site as opposed to below the radio. I was thinking about just drilling two small holes and sticking LED's through the top of the dash right above the cluster. Any potential issues with this? If I lose oil pressure or the car is overheating I want to know!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #88
MasterC17

Installed front pads and rotors last night. Still trying to figure out my OBDII communication error.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #89
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
Maybe get an accusump system as backup. If/when you encounter a loss of oil pressure the oil accumulator will release enough oil to possibly save your valuables and enough time to pull off the track. Just food for thought.

P.S. Your build is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 AM   #90
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjasonbmw View Post
Maybe get an accusump system as backup. If/when you encounter a loss of oil pressure the oil accumulator will release enough oil to possibly save your valuables and enough time to pull off the track. Just food for thought.

P.S. Your build is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.
I'm putting a big warning LED in front of me so if I do lose oil pressure I should know right away. Can't afford an accusump system at the moment.

Saturday I did a brake fluid flush, rear rotors and pads, the VANOS filter, Bimmerworld Solid Brake Guide, and a few other miscellaneous things. I'll get pictures before my first track day with the car this Friday at NHMS.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #91
MasterC17

And here is the car prepped for track day. Did the rear pads and rotors, Eibach Pro-Kit, GC RSM's, and a passenger harness, among a few other little things. Will report back with results.

P.S. Ordered some Euro headers.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #92
nyredeye21

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
why can't i see the pictures!!!!!!!
nyredeye21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #93
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyredeye21 View Post
why can't i see the pictures!!!!!!!
Should be working now.

Here's the video from the track day, car ran great with no lights or oil/coolant overheating. Only small issue I had was brakes overheating once.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #94
MasterC17

Next track event is Watkins Glen May 2nd and 3rd. Haven't done anything since NH. Waiting for the Euro headers which are shipping from Germany far as I can tell. Probably going to do a muffler and battery to get down to 2900lbs and looking into a set of coilovers.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #95
MasterC17

So I didn't really do anything signifigant to the car before Watkins Glen, but the event went very well. The car is fast on the straights - corners are a different story. Anyway, best recorded time was a 2:22 and a session I thought I was going to take it easy and didn't record ended up with me battling it out with a Ferrari 360 Coupe and 430 Scuderia (I won!). Unofficial lap times from that were in the 2:19-2:20 range. I REALLY need to improve the suspension, power-wise the car is great. In terms of reliability I've had no issues, coolant and oil stay in normal operating temp, so I'm happy there as well. I will see if I can get a video up sometime soon. Stay tuned!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #96
MasterC17

I know I've been ignoring this project for a few weeks now, but I've been tied up with an E34 535i LeMons Project (roll cage finished a few days ago) and I just sold my 330Ci ZHP on Saturday. So, I have freed up some time and money and there will be updates soon. Stay tuned.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #97
MasterC17

Ordered AST 4100's, GC Race Plates, GC RSM's, Hyperco 650/800 Springs, GC Front Sway Bar, GC Rear Race Control Arms, and a Gruppe M Replica Muffler (20lbs). Received AST's and Camber Plates, waiting on the rest. Also some pics of the LeMons E34!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #98
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
at everything.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #99
zk369

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Pics are broken...
Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #100
MasterC17

Just received the last package from my BW order. Installed the GruppeM Exhaust and it sounds . Installing suspension components this week. Also working on aero - front splitter, rear wing, rear diffuser, possibly side skirt extensions... Next event is July 2 at Lime Rock.

Pics are back up now