E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 Ci convertible
Project M54 Engine: Starter Motor

Starter Motor

Links to other parts of the project
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=899347

If you have a starter motor that's not working, this may help with diagnosing what the problem is. It may allow you to replace a component rather than buying an entire starter. The starter is made by Bosch, so I expect that it's a generic item that is in lots of cars, and getting hold of an individual component at your local auto electrician would not be difficult.

A couple of things before I start.
When I opened up this starter, it was obvious that the internal workings are semi open to the elements. To avoid premature failure, pulling the thing apart, cleaning it, re-greasing, etc would be a good idea in my opinion. There were lots of small bearings and gears that were pretty clogged up with gunk.
Also, I've never done it on my car, but from what I've heard, removing the starter is a PITA. It's under the intake manifold in a position that's difficult to get to. I've seen threads posted on how to remove it. However, once it's out, it's a pretty simple job to pull it apart and work out what's wrong with it.

Please excuse that state of this starter in the photos. The guys who I bought the engine from used brute force rather than unbolting the starter when separating the engine and transmission. The contacts on the solenoid have been broken apart.

Here are a couple of photos that show where the starter motor is mounted.

When out of the car this is what it looks like from the front and rear.

How it works (see photo below): When you turn the key, power goes to the solenoid. A solenoid is basically an electro magnet. When power is applied, the iron plunger gets sucked into the solenoid body (It's spring loaded to keep it out when there's no power applied)

When the plunger gets sucked in, it does two things.
1.It forces the gear on the motor forward to engage the flywheel
2. It makes a contact in the back of the solenoid, which allows power to flow to the motor and make it turn.
Basically if the gears are not forward and engaged with the flywheel, no power can be sent to the motor for it to turn.

Pulling it apart

Firstly remove the solenoid and plunger. There's a spring between the solenoid and plunger. Disconnect the contact that allows current to flow from the solenoid to the starter.

Once the solenoid has been removed, you can test each part to see if one is not working (if required)

The way I did it was I got some jump start leads and connected them to the battery of my car. I then connected the ends to what I wanted to test to see if it worked.

Testing solenoid: put the spring and plunger in the solenoid, and then connect the jump leads as per the photo. When power is applied, then plunger should instantly jump into the solenoid body.

Testing the motor: Connect the flappy lead that comes off the motor body to the positive lead. Now touch the negative lead to the aluminium housing at the front of the motor. The motor should jump to life. Don't worry, it's not dangerous. It actually doesn't spin that quickly.

To pull apart the motor section, here are some photos and instructions that will help. Initially remove the two long bolts as shown in the photo above.

Also, these photos were taken after I pulled it apart and cleaned it up. There was loads of filth inside.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 1.jpg
Views:	1934
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	433852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 2.jpg
Views:	1921
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	433853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 3.jpg
Views:	1996
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	433854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 4.jpg
Views:	1885
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	433855  

Name:	Starter Motor 6.jpg
Views:	1868
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	433856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 7.jpg
Views:	1816
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	433857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 8.jpg
Views:	1834
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	433858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 9.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	433859  

Name:	Starter Motor 10.jpg
Views:	1833
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	433860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 11.jpg
Views:	1835
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	433861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 12.jpg
Views:	1853
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	433862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 13.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	433863  

Name:	Starter Motor 14.jpg
Views:	1837
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	433864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 15.jpg
Views:	1828
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	433865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 16.jpg
Views:	1853
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	433866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 17.jpg
Views:	1856
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	433867  

Name:	Starter Motor 18.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	433868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 19.jpg
Views:	1851
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	433869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 20.jpg
Views:	1972
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	433870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Motor 21.jpg
Views:	2183
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	433871  

Name:	Starter Motor 22.jpg
Views:	1970
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	433872  

Last edited by jjrichar; 02-14-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: error
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
forzam

My Ride: 04 325Ci
Nice writeup!
forzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
great writeup
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
sambona

My Ride: 2002 e46 m3
How do you know if i need to do this? reason i ask is sometimes when i start the car, the motor will turn over once, pause for a second, and then starts.
sambona is offline   Reply With Quote