E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT

NY / NJ / CT
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
NY NJ CT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #141
B_Cyrus
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Yarmouk, Syria Valentine: Kushy
Posts: 9,438
My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaros View Post
That's the problem. I have never seen any positive feedback posted about any shop. People happen to create threads asking about an advise like where to get their cars fixed. Then we start telling them which shop is good. Had there been threads posted about a good shop, people wouldn't have to ask for it or make a mistake going to a shop that sucks. Now with this thread OP posted, people get the idea where to not go but they still have no idea where to go. Negative feedbacks for a shop(or anything) are unfair when there s no respect for the positive ones. This is what's going on with this thread.
If you took the time to use the search bar, you will find good reviews on Impressive Auto. Many people have said good things about the shop. This thread is negative feedback, and is well within the rules of this forum.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #142
bmwsmurf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 142
My Ride: 330ci
Having owned BMW(s) for longer than I care to mention, I would like to say that this thread is indicative of the problem with soliciting advice for BMW shops in general. I have visited a number of the recommended independent BMW shops in the NY and Boston areas at one time or another.. (including some dealers). People have very different standards for what constitutes a good shop. This is similar to the problem you can have looking for a good hotel and reading advice on tripadvisor.

I personally am quite particular about my car. I don't like it when shops scratch the underbody with their lifts. I don't like it when wheel nuts are torqued back at maximum power with impact wrenches. I don't like it when mechanics get my interior dirty, especially on the felt on the A pillars and whatnot. Being in New England, I appreciate it when the mechanic will use antiseize (yes, I know ONE BMW mechanic that will do this regularly because of all the salt and rust in this area). I don't like it when interior panels are not quite put together back right (what does this tell me about the quality of the work BEHIND the panels?) And so on and so forth. I like it when I have someone to talk to for more than 10 seconds about the car without feeling they are too busy to talk to you because they have 50 other BMWs to attend to. This happens alot of shops that start out good but get overwhelmed with popularity. Alot of people don't care about these things and will recommend a shop because the owner is friendly or the shop has a nice waiting area.

Body shops are even tougher. At this point I am always gutted when I see the end results. Pits, dust, orange peeling, swirl marks, and even paint scratches seem to be inevitable. I always have to make more than 1 trip. Usually it's at least 3. And I only go to the best shops that work on high end cars. I recommended one of my friends to one of these shops, it came out with one of the worst paint jobs I'd ever seen. I was embarrassed and pointed this out to my friend, who didn't care and was happy with the results.

Over the years I have increasingly gone diy because I just don't have a shop within close proximity that I feel 100% comfortable with. Working on your own car gives you an appreciation of why shops rarely can meet higher standards. It's just not feasible unless you spend alot of time on every job. And I dread each and every time that I need some body work done because it's always a hassle.

P.S. I still remember the one time I was at a BMW only shop in Queens. This reputable shop accidentally made a huge scratch on my fender with their screwdriver. I saw them do it and they didn't mention anything until I pointed it out. At which point the best the could do was to offer $50 off any service I would use with them.

P.P.S. I've never been at Impressive, this is just general commentary on the general state of things.
__________________
Visit the 3 series heritage site: link

Last edited by bmwsmurf; 05-18-2012 at 03:44 AM.
bmwsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #143
Pedi
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saratoga / San Jose
Posts: 622
My Ride: 330ci
Thank You OP. i admire you taking the time to inform us fanatics about your situation. please update us.

i have been in similar situation in the past, thats why i DIY everything now. F mechanics
__________________
Pedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #144
phamine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,230
My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
I've also been in a similar situation with the same shop. You are not alone.
__________________
phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #145
KickTheCAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UCLA, CA
Posts: 135
My Ride: United States
Sheesh, these people and their complaining. I mean come on, OP paid good money for OEM parts, OP's car ends up leaving the shop with more problems than it came in, and Oh look, bash OP because he's complaining about issues that can only logically come from the only shop OP sent the car to.

For crying out loud, it's like some of you guys are missing their balls (girls are unreasonable).

Hypocrites should just shut their mouth and stop typing. How is it bad that OP is able to post up a negative review on an indy shop? Isn't that the point of a review? To judge? To give details on how their interactions went? Come on guys, use your brains...do people now a days lack this much common sense?

No one is perfect. The purpose of OP's thread is to show how far from perfect Impressive was and you guys bash him? People should be happy that OP took the time to detail his visit and respond to everyone's comments about his ordeal. I mean look at John's response...didn't even give OP a chance to retaliate and he already says that that was his final comment. Really? Who treats their customers like that. GOOD businesses should be mindful of their public appearance. GOOD businesses know that each customer can leave a review ANYWHERE on the internet. GOOD businesses realizes that every single negative review will set off a red flag towards potential customers. Therefore, Impressive shouldn't even be on anyone's list of Indy places to bring their cars to. Jeez, how old are you guys, I'm probably decades younger than most of you and I'm calling you guys out for being stupid.

Oh yeah, and OP should feel bad for updating the E46 community with valuable information regarding their license. Oh yeah, F-k him right? Seriously...grow the hell up.
__________________
6000k Angel Eyes, Morimoto Mini retrofitted, Active Autowerke Exhaust, Cooling system refresh, ST V1 coilovers, Electric fan swap, 95,000 miles

Last edited by KickTheCAN; 05-19-2012 at 06:55 AM.
KickTheCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #146
ct323i
Registered User
 
ct323i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Westchester
Posts: 3,579
My Ride: pushing 235k miles!!
Send a message via AIM to ct323i
__________________


"ct323i: breaking new suspension equipment since 2007"
ct323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #147
Dominancex
Registered User
 
Dominancex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 4,886
My Ride: FA5T 4DR
Send a message via AIM to Dominancex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct323i View Post
__________________
-Hasselhoff

Dominancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #148
dsu*
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 8
My Ride: public transport =)
wow, that sucks...
dsu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #149
ct323i
Registered User
 
ct323i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Westchester
Posts: 3,579
My Ride: pushing 235k miles!!
Send a message via AIM to ct323i
John and the guys at Impressive are always the first ones to help you out if you're in a bind. They've helped me out on many occasions with my car and I know they stand behind their work 100%. They're good guys, their prices are very reasonable and they are the last ones I can see trying to screw a customer. My car has been to them at least a dozen times for various issues and they always do excellent work and get it fixed quickly. This customer's car sounds like a very complicated situation that had many parts involved and a difficult situation for any shop to handle. Bottom line is Impressive will always take care of you, but starting a thread like this is not going to make anyone want to help you out.
__________________


"ct323i: breaking new suspension equipment since 2007"

Last edited by ct323i; 05-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.
ct323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #150
Barbaros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,515
My Ride: 02 TIAG M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct323i View Post
John and the guys at Impressive are always the first ones to help you out if you're in a bind. They've helped me out on many occasions with my car and I know they stand behind their work 100%. They're good guys, their prices are very reasonable and they are the last ones I can see trying to screw a customer. My car has been to them at least a dozen times for various issues and they always do excellent work and get it fixed quickly. This customer's car sounds like a very complicated situation that had many parts involved and a difficult situation for any shop to handle. Bottom line is Impressive will always take care of you, but starting a thread like this is not going to make anyone want to help you out.
Shhh. This thread is ONLY " Impressive Sucks Big Time" thread. Only negative feedback is allowed. Well, haters gonna hate.
__________________
Barbaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #151
pett2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Big NYC
Posts: 174
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazom View Post
Yes thats true. But state all the facts. Don't make something look biased.

The bottom line is

Did the shop try to fix anything that was wrong?

You take the ugly eyelid and figure it out.

#thatisall
I think......(My 2 cents) it's supposed to be "Fix things",,, not "Try to fix"! I mean isn't that the reason your in biz in the first place......?
I would be.........very pissed off too if my mech kept saying tryin to fix!
If you say to me, "I know what the problem is".....I pay you, then it's not fixed..............and you say tried!

As my fav comedian say's.......... "there's going to be a mis-understanding & some furniture moving around"!

One Man's Opinion.....

"Ugly eye lid"...............did he just say "Black eye"
pett2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #152
lennon31987
Registered User
 
lennon31987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: My Island
Posts: 1,437
My Ride: imolarot II M
Send a message via AIM to lennon31987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedi View Post
Thank You OP. i admire you taking the time to inform us fanatics about your situation. please update us.

i have been in similar situation in the past, thats why i DIY everything now. F mechanics
Will do, thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickTheCAN View Post
Sheesh, these people and their complaining. I mean come on, OP paid good money for OEM parts, OP's car ends up leaving the shop with more problems than it came in, and Oh look, bash OP because he's complaining about issues that can only logically come from the only shop OP sent the car to.

For crying out loud, it's like some of you guys are missing their balls (girls are unreasonable).

Hypocrites should just shut their mouth and stop typing. How is it bad that OP is able to post up a negative review on an indy shop? Isn't that the point of a review? To judge? To give details on how their interactions went? Come on guys, use your brains...do people now a days lack this much common sense?

No one is perfect. The purpose of OP's thread is to show how far from perfect Impressive was and you guys bash him? People should be happy that OP took the time to detail his visit and respond to everyone's comments about his ordeal. I mean look at John's response...didn't even give OP a chance to retaliate and he already says that that was his final comment. Really? Who treats their customers like that. GOOD businesses should be mindful of their public appearance. GOOD businesses know that each customer can leave a review ANYWHERE on the internet. GOOD businesses realizes that every single negative review will set off a red flag towards potential customers. Therefore, Impressive shouldn't even be on anyone's list of Indy places to bring their cars to. Jeez, how old are you guys, I'm probably decades younger than most of you and I'm calling you guys out for being stupid.

Oh yeah, and OP should feel bad for updating the E46 community with valuable information regarding their license. Oh yeah, F-k him right? Seriously...grow the hell up.
Kids today man.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct323i View Post
John and the guys at Impressive are always the first ones to help you out if you're in a bind. They've helped me out on many occasions with my car and I know they stand behind their work 100%. They're good guys, their prices are very reasonable and they are the last ones I can see trying to screw a customer. My car has been to them at least a dozen times for various issues and they always do excellent work and get it fixed quickly. This customer's car sounds like a very complicated situation that had many parts involved and a difficult situation for any shop to handle. Bottom line is Impressive will always take care of you, but starting a thread like this is not going to make anyone want to help you out.
glad you have had positive experiences, i would not wish the headache i have gone thru and am still going thru on ANYONE! But then again, I am sure you did not do an open heary surgery as I did, anybody can paint a bumper, install angel eyes and a cold air intake. The same can not be said for doing an engine repair on an s54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaros View Post
Shhh. This thread is ONLY " Impressive Sucks Big Time" thread. Only negative feedback is allowed. Well, haters gonna hate.
I would be a hatter if I went into your threads and tried to take a crap, keep posting crap here pal, it only bumps this up to the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pett2000 View Post
I think......(My 2 cents) it's supposed to be "Fix things",,, not "Try to fix"! I mean isn't that the reason your in biz in the first place......?
I would be.........very pissed off too if my mech kept saying tryin to fix!
If you say to me, "I know what the problem is".....I pay you, then it's not fixed..............and you say tried!

As my fav comedian say's.......... "there's going to be a mis-understanding & some furniture moving around"!

One Man's Opinion.....

"Ugly eye lid"...............did he just say "Black eye"
Yea this is a joke at this point, even throughout the responses from them and the fanboys. "they offered pointers as to where to go next to resolve issues", its laughable statement, they were unable to solve the issues themselves and didnt even clean anything out after the initial failure. There was plenty of metal and oil remaining, they never did the job correctly.
__________________
Last of the best-

ILLm3 hates me cause im GGGOOODLOOKIIINN





seeking detailing perfection?
lennon31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #153
LittleBear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brklyn. Got a Problem wit dat?
Posts: 644
My Ride: 2001 330i
And now for something totally different....

Hello BMW Experts!

Quite a little thread here.
Of course it's a pity that Lennon didn't get satisfaction. So, if I may, a few points:
I work in a "service" industry, also. Truth is, you can't make everyone happy & some people are never happy. I work in an emergency room, and some (lots) of people argue with the doctors. They think they know their bodies better. And some are right, but not many! I've been rebuilding BMW (& other) engines since 1974. Even pieces of steel can be variable.
Know your "doctor" (mechanic). Some like to give lots of pain killers, and others don't. They have their reasons, and if asked correctly, they will usually tell you why. It could be for your own good. Some have a bad bedside manor, but do great work (or vice-versa). Do your own homework, which will probably take more time than the actual job (I also watched the mechanics do most of my HI-PO clutch job...because I'm real picky about my cars!).
Realize that some professions and businesses, for what ever reason, are more prone to spam & negativism than others. It could be the clientele they choose to service as much as anything.
Respect the business you choose for the work. This reflects back on you. If you can't, why did you choose them? And if you don't respect them, how can you work well with them? Example: Do you need to economize somewhere, or do you want all possible tests done & all parts replaced? Make this clear.
Don't beat a dead horse. It often indicates an alternative motive. Remember, if you're not at your desk, you are not a "king of the universe". Most things in life have a give-&-take factor.
And if you make a negative comment, be prepared to back it up. If you quote a BBB report, know why. Is it because of one (1) negative report by "guess who"? If you know that they lost their license to work & why, tell us why, then tell the police.

'Nuff said?

Murf
__________________
"The Indian smiles, he thinks that the cowboy is his friend. The cowboy smiles, he is glad the Indian is fooled. Now he can exploit him"

Last edited by LittleBear; 07-02-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #154
LittleBear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brklyn. Got a Problem wit dat?
Posts: 644
My Ride: 2001 330i
They also have quite a few 'fans' here who haven't found a better place. Ditto on Yelp.
But that reinforces one of my points: know a little of the clientele. Impressive chooses, for whatever reasons, to service & support many people from the E46Fanatics forum. I hate to insult you all, but some here are not the most introspective & reserved with their opinions! That is a little different from a place that has nothing less than a Maserati in it's garage.
(When I first went to Impressive, they asked if I wanted Angel Eyes...Please no!)
Murf
__________________
"The Indian smiles, he thinks that the cowboy is his friend. The cowboy smiles, he is glad the Indian is fooled. Now he can exploit him"

Last edited by LittleBear; 07-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #155
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hempstead, NY
Posts: 1,889
My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Hello BMW Experts!

Quite a little thread here.
Of course it's a pity that Lennon didn't get satisfaction. So, if I may, a few points:
I work in a "service" industry, also. Truth is, you can't make everyone happy & some people are never happy. I work in an emergency room, and some (lots) of people argue with the doctors. They think they know their bodies better. And some are right, but not many! I've been rebuilding BMW (& other) engines since 1974. Even pieces of steel can be variable.
Know your "doctor" (mechanic). Some like to give lots of pain killers, and others don't. They have their reasons, and if asked correctly, they will usually tell you why. It could be for your own good. Some have a bad bedside manor, but do great work (or vice-versa). Do your own homework, which will probably take more time than the actual job (I also watched the mechanics do most of my HI-PO clutch job...because I'm real picky about my cars!).
Realize that some professions and businesses, for what ever reason, are more prone to spam & negativism than others. It could be the clientele they choose to service as much as anything.
Respect the business you choose for the work. This reflects back on you. If you can't, why did you choose them? And if you don't respect them, how can you work well with them? Example: Do you need to economize somewhere, or do you want all possible tests done & all parts replaced? Make this clear.
Don't beat a dead horse. It often indicates an alternative motive. Remember, if you're not at your desk, you are not a "king of the universe". Most things in life have a give-&-take factor.
And if you make a negative comment, be prepared to back it up. If you quote a BBB report, know why. Is it because of one (1) negative report by "guess who"? If you know that they lost their license to work & why, tell us why, then tell the police.

'Nuff said?

Murf
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #156
LittleBear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brklyn. Got a Problem wit dat?
Posts: 644
My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
__________________
"The Indian smiles, he thinks that the cowboy is his friend. The cowboy smiles, he is glad the Indian is fooled. Now he can exploit him"
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #157
NJfistpumpin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Middletown NJ
Posts: 257
My Ride: 2003 OG M3
Shop around, buyers beware, it's simple. But thank you OP for warning us about your experience. I appreciate this input ESP because I'm going to be doing an s54 swap next year. Hope everything works out in the future for the OP and also for the contrastive criticism being givin to those at Impressive. Hopefully this can help you move forward in buisness and become a better shop.
__________________
Oxford green / cinnamon / Vert
NJfistpumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #158
lennon31987
Registered User
 
lennon31987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: My Island
Posts: 1,437
My Ride: imolarot II M
Send a message via AIM to lennon31987
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJfistpumpin View Post
Shop around, buyers beware, it's simple. But thank you OP for warning us about your experience. I appreciate this input ESP because I'm going to be doing an s54 swap next year. Hope everything works out in the future for the OP and also for the contrastive criticism being givin to those at Impressive. Hopefully this can help you move forward in buisness and become a better shop.
Appreciate the kind words.
__________________
Last of the best-

ILLm3 hates me cause im GGGOOODLOOKIIINN





seeking detailing perfection?
lennon31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #159
Rx7to330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 36
My Ride: 330CI Vert
A brand new bottle of Cologne Auqa de Gio was taken out of my glovebox while in there shop. I have nothing further to say other than I was highly dissapointed. One more thing actually, the quality of work was decent, however, I can not go back, with a thought of not being able to trust someone with the contents of my car. This was very recent btw.
Rx7to330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #160
Custom3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,379
My Ride: HellRot 330CI
that's why I learned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I need to learn how to do all of my own work lol
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use