E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
sps

My Ride: 318i se
Question E46 2001 BMW 318i INTERMITTENT EML !!

The car is a 2001 E46 318i, 4 cylinder, 2litre gas powered car.It has done 126,000 miles.

The car will be driving along at slow speed,then the EML light will come on and there is no response on pressing the gas pedal.

The only way to overcome the problem is by switching the car off and then on.Like a reboot I suppose.

This is intermittent.

It has had 2 new cam sensors replaced in the past and the crank sensor as well.

It has 6 new recent genuine spark plugs.

There are no fault codes stored on the ecu.

What could be causing this?

Last edited by sps; 01-28-2012 at 07:12 AM.
sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
newbmfan

My Ride: 318i
have you sorted out your problem lad ?
newbmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
sps

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmfan View Post
have you sorted out your problem lad ?
not yet because had no replies.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
newbmfan

Ok I'll try help. Is it a drive by wire pedal or cable. It could be either the electronic pedal or in the case of the cable system the throttle position sensor. If you had some sort of data logger system you could monitor them while the fault is present
Old 02-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
sps

Quote:
Ok I'll try help. Is it a drive by wire pedal or cable. It could be either the electronic pedal or in the case of the cable system the throttle position sensor. If you had some sort of data logger system you could monitor them while the fault is present
thanks for your help.
so i think mine is drive by wire setup.
so how do i get out the pedal sensor?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
newbmfan

No bother. The problem with drive by wire pedals are the potentiometer is internal so If they go it's a new pedal. So that's why I suggested using a data logger because I don't know how much a pedal is and ye don't want to start throwing parts at it
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
sps

can a pedal sensor fail intermittently like in my car.?- 1 do not have access to a data logger.
i would have thought it would either fail completely or work -not the half way house sceanario like im my case where switching the ignition off and restarting the car always solves the fault .

Last edited by sps; 02-22-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
newbmfan

Well I work for a ford dealership in Dublin and certainly what I've seen is with mondeos using this system is exactly what your getting. The pedal has three potentiometers inside and all three have to match, so if one goes down it will leave you with no throttle. Now it could also be in the throttle body. If you can carry the data logger with you hook it up when the fault occurs and watch the pedal and t/b and see if the signals change. I'm a bit surprised that there are no dtcs being stored even though the light is coming on. If you want you can send me your vin and I can check on tis to see if anything similar has been recorded by BMW
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
sps

i should have mentioned i do not have access to data logger in my previous post.
do u require full vin or just last 7 digits?,

could you not check if i give you the exact model which is bmw318ise ,E46,N42 engine,1996cc,(N42B20),MANUFACTURE DATE DEC 2001.?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
newbmfan

My apologies you did say you didn't have a data logger, its rare enough for non main dealers to have that sort of equipment. Anyway the last seven digits will do. I'll have a search about on tis and see what I can come up with or at least guide you on what test you can do
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
sps

Quote:
My apologies you did say you didn't have a data logger, its rare enough for non main dealers to have that sort of equipment. Anyway the last seven digits will do. I'll have a search about on tis and see what I can come up with or at least guide you on what test you can do
no, i initially had made an error in my last post that i had a data logger but i edited it after your post.

the last seven digits are KJ77342.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
newbmfan

Cool I'll get on it in a bit and I'll get back to you. If I don't find anything I have a friend who works for BMW so I can pick his brain. Talk to ye soon
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
newbmfan

hey man, good news......i think. i had a look about with your symptoms and its come back with an issue with the valvetronic module causing the problem. basically if it reads that the sytem is working out of its values for a predetermined time it shuts the management system down. the fix for this is to reprogramme the DME with the latest software on DIS CD 29.0 or higher.hope this helps, let me know how you get on