E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 CiC, 330i
Project M54 Engine: Oil Pan and Pump

Oil Pan and Pump

Links to other parts of the project
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=899347

Access to the oil pan is difficult. I don't have a car to show how to do it, but there are DIY's that can show you the details. It involves supporting the engine, and removing the front suspension subframe. This sits directly below the oil pan, so its removal is essential to get access to the oil pan.

Please excuse some of the photos here being upside down. The engine is on a stand. In a car, it's obviously going to be the other way around.

Why would you need to do it? My only thoughts are that the pan is leaking, and the gasket needs replacing. The oil pump is very simple, and from what I can see is designed to never fail, and never require maintenance. You may have the need to work on the crankshaft, which will require the removal of the pan and pump.

The pan has a load of bolts that hold it on. Most of the bolts go into the block. Two of these are accessed inside the transmission bell housing (they still screw into the block). In addition, there are a couple of torx bolts that join the transmission to the oil pan. These also need to be removed. They can all be accessed from below the car.

Once the bolts are removed, it needs a bit of a thump at the front left tab to dislodge it. It's stuck to the block with sealant.

The pan gasket is metal with the inner portion being rubber. When installing, put some non hardening sealant on the block where the block joins the two covers at the front and rear (4 places in total). Then install all the bolts, and torque evenly.

The oil level sensor can easily be removed and replaced without removing the subframe. Just remove the three nuts, and pull it out. Make sure you drain the oil before doing this. Expect more oil to come out when you remove the sensor. My Bentley manual doesn't have a torque for the installation, but it is a M6 nut, and it felt like it had about 10Nm on it.

Once the oil pan is removed, the oil pump and standpipe are exposed. You can see from the photos that the pump is up the front of the engine, but the oil is drawn from the rear of the engine at the sump. The end of the standpipe that sits in the sump has a metal sieve in it. Anything larger than about 1mm in diameter would not be drawn into the pump.

Removal is simple. Two nuts at the sieve end, and one at the pump need to be removed. Pull the pipe at the sieve end away from the bracket, and the pull it out at the pump.

If you need to access the crankshaft, there is a cover that needs to be removed. It only covers the end without the oil pump. Installation of the cover is the reverse. Again my Bentley manual doesn't have any torques for this, but the small bolt felt like it had about 10Nm on it, and the large bolts felt like they had 20Nm.

At the front is the oil pump. The first step is to remove the sprocket and chain. Remove the nut on the front of the sprocket, and then carefully slide the sprocket off with the chain. The chain can then be disconnected. In these pictures, the chain has disappeared, into the block, but when in the car it will hang down. Installing this nut for the sprocket is 25Nm. This is a critical task when installing. Pretty much the only way this pump can fail (outside of oil starvation) is this nut falling off.

Update: I found something interesting when I installed everything. If you look at my post on the timing chain cover, you will see that on the crankshaft there is a double sprocket. One of these is for the oil pump, the other is for the timing. This is reversible, so it can go on either way. When I was installing everything, I had the double sprocket reversed from its original position (I didn't know it at the time). When I went to fit the sprocket to the oil pump, it came up about 1mm short. I couldn't understand why. Each of the sprockets on the crankshaft is identical, even when I measured them later. After reversal it fit fine. Why am I telling you this. Well when I initially fit the oil pump, I didn't fit the sprocket to it, I just let the chain hang loose. I then proceded put the rest of the engine together. Head, camshafts, timing, vanos, etc. I then couldn't get the oil pump sprocket on. I had to dismantle the entire engine again to swap over the double sprocket to make it fit. A bit frustrating, but good practice. This would have been a shocker if I was actually rebuilding the engine. Moral of the story, if you are rebuilding the engine, make sure this fits prior to moving onto the next task.

To remove the pump, remove the four bolts at the corner of the bracket that holds the pump. It then will come straight off. There are no O Rings or gaskets. As you can see this needs to be done in order to access the crankshaft at this end. Installation of these bolts is 22Nm.

Pulling apart the pump is very simple. There are 5 bolts at the front that need to come off. Inside it is very simple. Only two moving parts. If you get the chance to have one of these in your hands, spin it around. It's a work of art.

Inside the pump assembly is the oil pressure regulator. Here are some pictures of the components and how it works.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 01.jpg
Views:	6146
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	444102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 02.jpg
Views:	5306
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	444103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 03.jpg
Views:	5371
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	444104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 05.jpg
Views:	5161
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	444105  

Name:	Oil pan 20.jpg
Views:	5312
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	444106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 19.jpg
Views:	5607
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	444107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 04.jpg
Views:	5245
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	444108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 06.jpg
Views:	6379
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	444109  

Name:	Oil pan 07.jpg
Views:	5046
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	444110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 08.jpg
Views:	5129
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	444111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 09.jpg
Views:	5091
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	444112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 10.jpg
Views:	5179
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	444113  

Name:	Oil pan 11.jpg
Views:	7305
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	444114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 12.jpg
Views:	5079
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	444115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 13.jpg
Views:	5113
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	444116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 14.jpg
Views:	5059
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	444117  

Name:	Oil pan 15.jpg
Views:	4948
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	444118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 16.jpg
Views:	5122
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	444119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 17.jpg
Views:	4962
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	444120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 18.jpg
Views:	5117
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	444121  

Name:	Oil pan 21.jpg
Views:	4961
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	444122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 22.jpg
Views:	4966
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	444123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pan 23.jpg
Views:	5103
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	444124  

Last edited by jjrichar; 06-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
great writeup! Which is the bolt that loosens over time causing failure?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Scooby, that would be the oil pump sprocket nut, most people loctite or safety wire it, I used red loctite, if you order a new nut from BMW it has a staking compound in the threads.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
I used the lock wire in my M50 track build. You can also put a small spot weld on the front with no harmful effect.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Lock wire, spot weld, loctite, etc are good for keeping the nut from backing off on everything but an m54b30. Securing the nut just leads to the end of the pump shaft shearing off in those motors.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
trizzuth

My Ride: 234k, 16yr old B3AST
awesome detailed pics man, helps so much when I end up needing to do the oil pan gasket on the wife's car! thanks for these pics and explanations and TORQUE settings!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
white_335i

My Ride: 03 330i/M3/5/6 spd
Thanks for the detailed information. I really appreciate what you are doing. I have the oil pan off and thinking about doing the oil pump overhaul.. I am going to order the pressure regulator parts and the o-ring for the oil pickup tube.

Question for you, Do I need to remove the pump off the engine to access the regulator or can I just remove the circlip and the piston comes out?
white_335i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

You don't need to remove the pump.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Thanks for your efforts on another detailed DIY jjrichar . We know it takes lots of extra time to document it so well

Last edited by DEADF15H; 01-16-2016 at 10:12 AM.
DEADF15H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #10
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
jjrichar, are you located in Syd, Melb, Brisb?

'03 325 Estoril Blue with some love from:
Turner, ECS, Remus, BMW Performance, G.A.S.,
Beisan, Umnitza, TRS, Radium, and more!
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:13 AM   #11
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

Sent you a PM
Old 06-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #12
GuidoK

My Ride: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Is it possible that TIS also doesnt list the torque settings for the bolts that hold the splash guard?
So the M8 bolts and the one m6 bolt.
I couldnt find it but maybe I overlooked it or its listed somewhere else. (you'd think the official bmw system would have ALL settings, in which case it may be listed somewhere else....)
TIS is pretty sketchy on the bottom end in general compared to the rest anyway.

I used 23Nm for the m8 bolts and 10Nm for the m6 bolt (the m6 bolt is not that important imho). Those seem to be about the generic torque setting for bolts that size in aluminium. Like the m8 bolts that hold the oil pump.

When replacing the oil pump nut obviously use a torque wrench that can do CCW torque. Not every wrench can do that, so if you're waiting for that click and it doesnt come.....

This series of threads is awesome btw
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-15-2017 at 05:22 AM.
GuidoK is offline   Reply With Quote