E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Take 2 - DIY coupe rear window one touch close

The pics were taken down in the original thread found here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=783164

So, please see below

Tools needed - A small dremel kit and an eyeglasses flathead screwdriver
Someone will need to code your car for this as well, more details in original thread link above

Below you will see the driver's side window switch, left to right is facing the front of the car for reference. In this pic, you will see 3 small tabs along the bottom (circled in green) and the actual moving switch piece at the top, in orange. Tabs are on both sides, this is where the mini-screwdriver came in handy. Remove all, I'll explain later why you should remove the tops as well (if it wasn't necessary in the original thread.)

This is what it looks like removed. Now, just so you can get a grasp on how this works, obviously match up the blue dots and you'll see that as the window switch is pulled up by your finger, the white tab at the bottom of it will fit into the notch on the bottom piece. As you lift the switch, that top part where the notch is will actually slide left to right. The yellow and red vertical lines is the dividers inside the housing. The reason why you can't get that 2nd "click" for the back windows, is because the "yellow" is a little 16th of an inch mini strip of plastic that is stopping that sliding mechanism from going that tiny bit more, that is what needs to be dremeled out.

This is the housing from the bottom. In orange, you can see that little piece that needs to be smoothed out.

And dremeled out

Done, put everything back together and make sure you get that second click.

The reason i told you to take off both the inner and the actually switches themselves is... if the actual "lever" or what have you is still attached to the housing, its difficult to get those white tabs to match up with the notches in the bottom piece. Put the bottom piece in first, and you'll be able to see the notches from the top when you put the two "levers" back in.

Oh and obviously make sure your car is coded properly for this. If you don't have someone that can do the correct coding, then this mod will be completely pointless.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Strykr24

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Just tried to follow this, and as soon as I took my switches apart I had an issue... Mine are nothing like what you posted. Guess I'm stuck with holding the button to close the rears.
Strykr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
effay

My Ride: 323Ci
Strykr check into PA software , available on ebay. You should be allowed to fix this function in your car using that software. The price if the product is relatively cheap
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Strykr24

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I already have PA Soft but don't have a second "click" on my rear switches. My switches have individual pots for each contact, and the pots for up in the rear are different than the ones for the front (and only have one position when I push it by hand)
Strykr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
generalvp

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
I just did this mod and instead of dremeling out that little piece as described by the OP, I shorten the little piece on top that moves back and forth and clips onto the window switch. I think this works better, IMO, because there's more room for movement of that piece and it gives an exact feel as the front switch.
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
jm323Ci

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Thank OP for re-posting this again. I had the old thread saved and finally got around to doing this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykr24 View Post
I already have PA Soft but don't have a second "click" on my rear switches. My switches have individual pots for each contact, and the pots for up in the rear are different than the ones for the front (and only have one position when I push it by hand)
Stykr, I had the same issue. I believe if you E46 is 99-00 Production Year, you will have the "older style" switches.
I did some research and compared it with some fellow E46 member locally and found that if you are able to find a set from May2001 Production Year and up, they will match the switches as shown in the OP's picture.

The "older style" will just have a plain black bottom side but the "newer style" will have bronze circles on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvp View Post
I just did this mod and instead of dremeling out that little piece as described by the OP, I shorten the little piece on top that moves back and forth and clips onto the window switch. I think this works better, IMO, because there's more room for movement of that piece and it gives an exact feel as the front switch.
I took generalvp's tip and did the same thing. It was much easier to mod the small black piece that moves back and forth.

Here's what I did. Left is OEM, Right is modded. I followed the ridges and didn't cut any further.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
zfrog

My Ride: M3
I just cut the whole thing off with my dremel.

End result.
zfrog is offline   Reply With Quote