E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Mellor69

Exclamation Door Problems... could use some help from a guru or two

Hi Guys!

Just bought myself a 320 ci and very happy! So I thought I would join here as when googling some niggling problems on my car this site had some of the best answers and best DYI how-to's.

The main issue I have at the moment is that the drivers side door on my coupe doesnt drop to allow the window to pass the trim when opening the door which is incredibly frustrating!

I understand that this problem has come up on this forum a couple times but my cars symptoms (so to speak) are slightly different so I thought, for piece of mind, I would ask you all :-)

Syptoms:
- Door doesnt drop (unless after a really cold night, has only happened twice in the month i have had the car)
- The instrument doesnt register that the door is open (unless after a really cold night, has only happened twice in the month i have had the car)
- the drivers door never unlocks when using the keys remote
- the drivers door very rarely locks using the keys remote
- the drivers door always locks when the passanger door is open using the keys remote.

very confusing on some of those points :-/

After doing some research I thought/think it may be the drivers door actuator as I can hear it trying to move the doors locking pin. Tahe forum said that the best way to test or fix it would be put a load of WD40 in there and hope for the best...

nothing happened

I have now bought an actuator for the door but while thinking about it... if the instument doesnt say the door is open then whether the actuator was working or not would the door still drop?

Hopefully you guys can help, would very much appreciated!
Mellor69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
WD40 trick used to work on earlier models, not on the E46. The door actuator is probably the culprit. See this, seem similar?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
Mellor69

Quote:
WD40 trick used to work on earlier models, not on the E46. The door actuator is probably the culprit. See this, seem similar?
that does seem like the issue... i had a skim over that thread and it looks pretty impressive and well detailed. guess i will be trying that tis weekend unless anyone else thinks it may be a different issue. thanks!
Mellor69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door lock actuator broken, instrument cluster, key won't lock, locking, window drop