E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Shadetree

My Ride: 2000 323i
E46 No reverse

So I joined the no reverse club a couple of months ago. Since then my pristine 323 w/ ZF trans has been parked like the scrap metal that it is. Does anyone have any experience driving these transmissions WITHOUT fixing them? Does it do further damage? I need temporary transportation. Does anyone have any actual experience doing this? Thanks!
Shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
you need to replace reverse drum. or push out parking spot.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
You can still drive it. Just won't have a reverse. There's a DIY on replacing the reverse drum. When mine went out I drove it for a month without reverse then tackled the DIY. I now have reverse, that was 3 months ago and so far shes still reversing strong! Look through my profile and read some of my threads. I have the parts needed listed and where to get them, along with some pics.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
the no reverse transmission problem is "common" around here. You can drive the car around without any issues but like everyone said you won't have the reverse function when you really need it. the good news for you is that the repair is not that expensive. you don't have to take your car to a bmw shop. Just take your car to any transmission shop and they can rebuilt your tranny for you (almost every transmission shop knows how to work on ZF and GM trannies).

I hope this helps/. good luck
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
"the good news for you is that the repair is not that expensive."

This isn't true...sorry. The repair is expensive. The cheapest I was quoted to just fix the drum was $2500 and I was supplying the parts. Another shop wanted $3500 for the whole rebuild.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchjer View Post
"the good news for you is that the repair is not that expensive."

This isn't true...sorry. The repair is expensive. The cheapest I was quoted to just fix the drum was $2500 and I was supplying the parts. Another shop wanted $3500 for the whole rebuild.

It isn't expensive if you fix it at home, and $2500 to fix a car isn't nearly as expensive as replacing it. The fix is permanent, as far as anybody knows.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Bimmage01

My Ride: 330ci ZSP
Bought my reverse drum from here http://www.latransparts.com/store.php?crn=59

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have a few days you can do the job yourself. Theres DIY's and step by step guides all on the forums if you search. Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
redneckrice94

My Ride: 2000 323i
Just park far away from everyone, pull through spots, and stay away from anywhere downtown.

redneckrice94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
BMWUSMC3051

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Same happened to me I drove it for 3yrs 3yrs with no reverse no problems just changed it with a used one n am having other gear issues now but it'll b fine
BMWUSMC3051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
rcg323

My Ride: E46 coupe 09' m3
It's not the reverse drum, you may experience that your car goes into reverse sometimes ** it's something totally different but I'm not sure..
rcg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg323 View Post
It's not the reverse drum, you may experience that your car goes into reverse sometimes ** it's something totally different but I'm not sure..
if its ZF transmission, its the drum.
if its GM transmission, its the solenoid.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
rcg323

My Ride: E46 coupe 09' m3
Oh yeah your right nevermind! Sorry lol
rcg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Guy_who_has_an_e46

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Smile Hey

This is my first time ever posting on a forum and I thank everyone that ever provided their knowledge in helping me and others. I have a 2000 e46 that I bought at an auction. The first night I drove I was going to a friends birthday party in dt Los Angeles and I was trying to make a u turn and fell short so I tried to reverse. That was the first time I ran into the no reverse issue. I had to be towed out 20 feet and was charged 70 bucks!!! Anyway I'm a smoker and when I tried to use the cigarette lighter in the ash tray it didn't work. Upon further inspection I realized a fuse was missing, so I replaced it. A few days later the car caught on fire and firefighters came to put it out. I had a friend of mine who was an ex bmw tech come and check it out and it turned out I had to replace the interior wiring harness. It took me two months to replace the harness after i got out of work. After I replaced the wiring harness the car has never given me the no reverse issue so I'm lead to believe the issue is electrical and not mechanical by nature. I hope this information will bring someone insight in the correction of this issue. Thanks everyone for all your past help
Guy_who_has_an_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
Encryption76
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76 Send a message via Skype™ to Encryption76
I have the GM tranny here. It will go in reverse every now and then but have gotten so used to it that idc really. I pull forward in most spots and check if it will go in reverse before I pull into a place where I can't pull forward or find a place with an incline so the car will just roll backwards.

lol, I just put up with it. The ZF on the other hand won't go into reverse at all from that point on until it is rebuilt or replaced.
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, no reverse, zf trans