E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Llink78

My Ride: 2002 330i
SC prep

So with the busy holiday season coming up ill be working tons of overtime. I want to treat myself with a VF Supercharger come spring time. Iv done most maintenance. Suspension, cooling system, CCV, gaskets and Vanos. This winter the car is getting the rear subframe dropped and the rear bushings and reinforcement plates installed.

What else would be recommended either motor or otherwise? The car is a driver and has lived its whole like in NY. I drive it, enjoy it and put it away dirty. I already have most performance mods to go along with the SC.

234HP/197TQ Just bolt ons :) New Numbers Coming Soon!
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Stick or auto ?

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Llink78

Sorry. 5 speed.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

I'm sure you've done most if not all things in order to go ahead with your VF S/C install, so the list I give is really just the "over the top" items or suggestions.

1) Raceware Head Studs
2) Supertech 9000 RPM Valve Springs & Titanium Retainers (For any future missed shifts)
3) Rogue Engineering Octane Shifter w/ Heavy Shift Rod
4) Steering Wheel Gauge Pod for AFR & Boost
5) Water/Meth Kit to Spray Before & After the S/C
6) LSD
7) VAC Oil Pump Kit Upgrade (I've got a new one in a box)
8) ATI Damper (I know someone with a brand new one that was Never Installed)
9) 2.5 LBS Halon Fire Extinguisher w/ Metal Bracket
10) Dinan Big Bore TB (I'm staring at my spare sitting on my coffee table)

Things to consider,
Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Llink78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I'm sure you've done most if not all things in order to go ahead with your VF S/C install, so the list I give is really just the "over the top" items or suggestions.

1) Raceware Head Studs
2) Supertech 9000 RPM Valve Springs & Titanium Retainers (For any future missed shifts)
3) Rogue Engineering Octane Shifter w/ Heavy Shift Rod
4) Steering Wheel Gauge Pod for AFR & Boost
5) Water/Meth Kit to Spray Before & After the S/C
6) LSD
7) VAC Oil Pump Kit Upgrade (I've got a new one in a box)
8) ATI Damper (I know someone with a brand new one that was Never Installed)
9) 2.5 LBS Halon Fire Extinguisher w/ Metal Bracket
10) Dinan Big Bore TB (I'm staring at my spare sitting on my coffee table)

Things to consider,
Rob43
Thank you rob!

1) YESSSS!!!! Thank you, forgot the name of those!
2) Will probably skip the valve springs.
3) Shifter will skip only bc my clutch is original at 150k so i don't see it lasting more than a summer after.
4) YES to the column pods.
5) Water/meth kit is being discussed.
6) LSD is waiting bc if i come across a decent 6 speed i will be doing that and doing to a higher ratio diff.
7) What makes the VAC oil pump better than a welded nut or safety wire? I know the shaft can still shear off but........
8) Didn't even think of a ATI damper, PRICE ON SAID ONE YOU KNOW OF?
9) Fire ext, yea guess it would not hurt.
10) I have a very limited run of the MAXBORE TB

If all goes as plan SC this spring, then upgrade the trans and diff next winter.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llink78 View Post
Thank you rob!

2) Will probably skip the valve springs. Not absolutely necessary, but good insurance.
3) Shifter will skip only bc my clutch is original at 150k so i don't see it lasting more than a summer after. Be prepared to Immediately replace your clutch.
5) Water/meth kit is being discussed. Good
6) LSD is waiting bc if i come across a decent 6 speed i will be doing that and doing to a higher ratio diff.
7) What makes the VAC oil pump better than a welded nut or safety wire? I know the shaft can still shear off but........I want to say a stronger shaft, but I can't remember.
8) Didn't even think of a ATI damper, PRICE ON SAID ONE YOU KNOW OF? I'll send you a PM, I have NO IDEA if he's selling, but he never used it.
9) Fire ext, yea guess it would not hurt. Yes, this is one of those things that's overlooked....until it's to late.
10) I have a very limited run of the MAXBORE TB I've got the other one, thanks to "B"

If all goes as plan SC this spring, then upgrade the trans and diff next winter.
Like I said, start planning on the clutch now. (I've got a used 1.3K UUC Clutch & LTW Flyweel sitting)

ATI PM coming,
Rob43

Quote:
Old 10-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Llink78

I know the clutch is a huge gamble, but we will see how it lasts. If at all. Surprisingly there is no slip at all. Even with the amount of rubber that was destroyed this summer.
Also switching out wheels to lighter square setup. Hope the car scoots well.

Last edited by Llink78; 10-06-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
youre going to be limited to 6.5 psi since VF kits do not have any other upgrades, they do not have an upgrade path like an intercooler or smaller pulleys for higher boost.

Ive had a 330ci with a supercharger and if I were to do it again, I would only consider kits out there with upgrade-ability especially if budget was a factor.

I would also consider going straight to turbo for maximum performance and calling ti a day. After awhile I would get all the race head studs and such once I want to push for more power as you would not benefit from them with a VF stage 1.

VF stage 1, I would only recommend to automatic drivers that are looking for the most affordable way of getting some power down that do not care about more power down the line.

"I catch you in my dreams, just me and you. But you seem confused, I'm not trying to break the rules.
So why do you feel the way that you do? So why do you feel the way that you do?"

2014 LA Autoshow FB Gallery
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Llink78

I don't need more power. I'm actually pretty happy with the car now, but think I'd enjoy the car with close to 300whp. Thinking logically if I wanted big power I would go m3 or find a CO 335. Also with not being to upgrade the VF kit I won't be tempted to keep throwing $$ at a 12 year old car. I have my reasoning going with VF

Old 10-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

The truth is you can upgrade the VF system to a Stage 2 by doing two things:

1) Add a smaller S/C pulley for 8 PSI output. This can be done at anytime, VF said it will Not effect the one year warranty.

2) Spray a W/M system Before & After the Vortech V3 S/C unit. There are many many benefits to doing this, not to mention adding about a 1/2 point in PSI to the system.

VF's tune will adapt to the new parameters.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
Quote:

1) Add a smaller S/C pulley for 8 PSI output. This can be done at anytime, VF said it will Not effect the one year warranty.

2) Spray a W/M system Before & After the Vortech V3 S/C unit. There are many many benefits to doing this, not to mention adding about a 1/2 point in PSI to the system.

Rob43

hi Rob, one question, exist a custom tune for the meth and the VF SC?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Llink78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
hi Rob, one question, exist a custom tune for the meth and the VF SC?

No need, just like how the stock DME can account for small performance mods without software. The VF tune can also read the different air flow/ cooler temps and adjust.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Llink78

Quote:

Rob43
Rob with driving how long would the average tank of water/meth mix last? I know there are a lot of variables but I'm curious. As i want to start planning my setup.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Rob with driving how long would the average tank of water/meth mix last? I know there are a lot of variables but I'm curious. As i want to start planning my setup.
I'll first say, buy a Big one that mounts in the trunk. There are to many variables to this, different manufactures employ different techniques as to turning on the w/m spray. Cheaper systems will only spray at wot, while more advanced systems use a digital boost controller. Both will work, and both will consume your w/m tank at different rates.

If it were me, I'd install & run your VF s/c for at least a month or two the way if came from VF. Then once it's all working well & you're used to the way things are, then install Both the 7.5 to 8 PSI pulley & the W/M system. Then put it back on your dyno to make adjustments (if any) to the w/m system to make sure your AFR numbers are in good.

Recommendation: Every time you do a VF S/C oil change*, also remove the w/m nozzle'(s) & clean it/them also. The blue windshield washer fluid has been known to clog the nozzle'(s) from time to time.

Good luck,
Rob43

* VF oil changes are the cheapest most affordable S/C oil changes around.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
SC prep

Quote:
No need, just like how the stock DME can account for small performance mods without software. The VF tune can also read the different air flow/ cooler temps and adjust.

thanks bro..... but I think if you tune to use Meth/Water, your HO gain gonna be a lot......
I asking this, because I recently bought my Aquamist Meth Injection to my ESS TS2+ Supercharger and Im looking for a custom tune....

Last edited by jdjg; 10-07-2014 at 10:08 PM.
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
Why do that Vac oil pump upgrade when you can do the vaio/bimmerworld one?
Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #17
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
You're good to go with your car as-is, though like Rob said, be prepared to replace the clutch.

I have chosen to keep the VF kit the way it came, and instead spend my money on exhaust/headers/clutch/flywheel/differential. The next step will be swapping the cams, and then possibly water/meth. I have a new car coming with WMI already installed, so I'll see how I like it and report back.

Expect the supercharger install process to take longer and be more expensive than you're told to budget, unless you're having it done at a shop that has done many of these kits before.

Other than parts broken during the install, the only thing I've had to replace is the original clutch (with 130k total miles, and the first 55k miles probably weren't good miles based on the condition the car was in when I bought it 8 years ago). I'm of the mindset that you should make the car run more efficiently first, and upping the boost is the least desirable way to make more power on a car not originally designed for forced induction. "Efficient" = exhaust, WMI, cams, drivetrain, etc. These engines are proven to a lot more than 6 psi though, so 1-2 psi extra shouldn't cause major issues.

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
Llink78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
You're good to go with your car as-is, though like Rob said, be prepared to replace the clutch.

I have chosen to keep the VF kit the way it came, and instead spend my money on exhaust/headers/clutch/flywheel/differential. The next step will be swapping the cams, and then possibly water/meth. I have a new car coming with WMI already installed, so I'll see how I like it and report back.

Expect the supercharger install process to take longer and be more expensive than you're told to budget, unless you're having it done at a shop that has done many of these kits before.

Other than parts broken during the install, the only thing I've had to replace is the original clutch (with 130k total miles, and the first 55k miles probably weren't good miles based on the condition the car was in when I bought it 8 years ago). I'm of the mindset that you should make the car run more efficiently first, and upping the boost is the least desirable way to make more power on a car not originally designed for forced induction. "Efficient" = exhaust, WMI, cams, drivetrain, etc. These engines are proven to a lot more than 6 psi though, so 1-2 psi extra shouldn't cause major issues.
I figured i would be pretty set. I have been upgrading the car over the last year for a SC. Headers done. Single 3" Exhaust done. Bigger TB done. I have the 3.07 diff there now, and have a 3.23 sitting around. When the clutch does i will be going single mass with a slightly lighter flywheel. Car is also down around 200# from stock form with the mass or it being the sunroof delete, and wheels/ brake combo.

As far as install, taking it over to my good friends shop who has a dyno and lifts. Plan on doing a b4 stock car for a baseline. Then after car install after break in. Then another pull a month down the line. This should all be done come spring sometime. If money is good this winter might just go the clutch also. Or look for a 6 speed.

Last edited by Llink78; 10-18-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
e46t

My Ride: zhp
How do you have maxbore tb? I emailed george and he said hes had them in his shop and hes not able to machine them.

Quote:
Thank you rob!

2) Will probably skip the valve springs.
3) Shifter will skip only bc my clutch is original at 150k so i don't see it lasting more than a summer after.
5) Water/meth kit is being discussed.
7) What makes the VAC oil pump better than a welded nut or safety wire? I know the shaft can still shear off but........
8) Didn't even think of a ATI damper, PRICE ON SAID ONE YOU KNOW OF?
9) Fire ext, yea guess it would not hurt.
10) I have a very limited run of the MAXBORE TB

e46t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #20
Llink78

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46t View Post
How do you have maxbore tb? I emailed george and he said hes had them in his shop and hes not able to machine them.
, was not cheap. Was not easy. He will never make them again.

Last edited by Llink78; 10-18-2014 at 04:35 PM.