E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #41
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Now that I think about it, I think my w/a injection kit was a big reason why my car runs so well in the heat. I did 2 HPDE weekends in 105 degree temps. Other cars were going into limp mode and mine was still charging along. My temp gauge actually stayed below the halfway mark most of the time and only climbed slightly above the middle during a long session. The only thing that overheated was the driver.

I've seen on other forums that ESS is very against meth injection. Right or wrong? Not sure. I will not depend on meth as a power adder because what do you do when it runs out? To me, that's not something I could consider to be reliable.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #42
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I will not depend on meth as a power adder because what do you do when it runs out? To me, that's not something I could consider to be reliable.
That's what I was thinking. I would really want to use to help prevent heat soak. Kind of like an extra intercooler. Where I'm going I'm going to need all the cooling I can get. You can run the injection kit without DME tuning correct?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #43
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
yes
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #44
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

Sweet.

Another dent to my wallet... lol
Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #45
signalwest

My Ride: 2001 330i Sedan TS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
That's what I was thinking. I would really want to use to help prevent heat soak. Kind of like an extra intercooler. Where I'm going I'm going to need all the cooling I can get. You can run the injection kit without DME tuning correct?
I am not going to tune for mine. My thinking is first as a cooling agent against heat soak, but I am still considering a smaller pulley in the near future with a tune from ESS. Again that tune would be without cams and unsupported by ESS, but AJ says they do have it....but again..he said if my car blows up...don't call him

Last edited by signalwest; 02-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
signalwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #46
signalwest

Finally got the methanol injection completed (just need to tidy up some wiring). I was sent the wrong AEM controller (diesel) and didn't figure it out until after we cut wires off the controller to make it shorter (easier to manage). But AEM said no problem and exchanged for the right one at no extra charge. I replaced the silicone tubing between the MAF and throttle body with an aluminum reducer pipe. We just had to put a slit in the middle and weld it up for that funky bend. This gave me the capability to spray about 4 or 5 inches away from the throttle body to give more time for ionization. We started with the smaller nozzle which seemed to drop the IATs a little bit, but could not feel much of a difference (and no bogging). Again I am not going to tune for the 50/50 mix. We then went to the middle nozzle which supports up to 350hp. At lower end I seem to notice it is slightly quicker. At higher speeds and punching it there is not much of a difference. I did notice that before spraying my boost gauge shows around 8psi at WOT. But now it is around 9. The middle nozzle does not ever bog down the car..at all. We will try the largest nozzle next (350 to 600hp). Attached is a picture of the aluminum piece finished, but we had not tapped the washer tank yet so no hose coming out of the AEM nozzle (I put a plug in it). Once I find which nozzle is best I will then find the best start and max boost pressure when spraying. Right now it starts at 4psi and max at 8psi. I did run with a MkI GT3 (997) (and not on the track, but on the Autobahn..he would smoke me on the corners) and we were about neck and neck...he slowed and pulled to the right and gave me a thumbs up. I was running almost neck and neck with a friend's 2011 DCT M3 Sedan before spraying (I have a video, but it is very choppy). We will give it another try once I get the right nozzle and setting and will capture another video for comparison if anyone is interested.

Last edited by signalwest; 05-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #47
signalwest

Oh..I did get up behind a new Audi RS6 MTM Avant (with the quad pipes) and he left me in the dust. 730HP!!! http://www.mtm-online.de/en/Audi/RS6...=m1rs6580730qx
Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #48
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
Car looks like it really hauls a$$!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #49
signalwest

Verdict

Running the ESS TS2 with headers, Magnaflow Exhaust and BMW performance intake and prefabbing the above setup for the AEM Methanol spray, I can firmly say that the car runs like a champ. I am using a 50/50 mix (1 gallon of -20 Blue Windshield Washer mixed with 3 bottles of HEET). I am using AEM's largest nozzle with no bogging down possibly due to better atomization because of the location I am spraying from (directly after MAF). There is no pinging running hard on the Autobahn at around 80F outside. My next venture is having a 80-81mm pulley made (I am running the 83mm) to squeeze some more boost/horses out of the car. Here is a recent run against the latest model (make 2 facelift) 997/911 Carrera S. Drive safe.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #50
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

Nice install!

I have yet to put mine in. I went with the Snow Performance MPG-MAX kit. Haven't had time to put it in cuz I've been spending my time getting the e30 to run right... lol
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #51
signalwest

Happy New Year! Is your e30 Euro Spec and you got to ship it back to the States? My last mod was a few months before winter (car is in the garage now and I am driving the Golf to work). I had a friend who is a professional machinist prefab a small pully for me. So I went from 83mm to almost 81mm. I went up against an e90 M3 sedan with DCT/comp pkg that I was almost even with in the past and he could not keep up on the A bahn from a 100km/h start He is now currently looking at one of the ESS SC for his e90. You need to get that kit in before you start running in that heat! Let us know how the install and results go.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #52
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalwest View Post
... Is your e30 Euro Spec and you got to ship it back to the States?

You need to get that kit in before you start running in that heat! Let us know how the install and results go.
Yeah my e30 was euro spec. It was 2 years short of being DOT exempt so I had to get it converted to US spec. But I saved all the euro parts and put them back on once I got the car back. lol

I STILL haven't installed my meth kit. Just been busy with the e30 and the new house. I'll get in in there someday. Maybe before Bimmerfest in May.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #53
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Finally got the methanol injection completed (just need to tidy up some wiring). I was sent the wrong AEM controller (diesel) and didn't figure it out until after we cut wires off the controller to make it shorter (easier to manage). But AEM said no problem and exchanged for the right one at no extra charge. I replaced the silicone tubing between the MAF and throttle body with an aluminum reducer pipe. We just had to put a slit in the middle and weld it up for that funky bend. This gave me the capability to spray about 4 or 5 inches away from the throttle body to give more time for ionization. We started with the smaller nozzle which seemed to drop the IATs a little bit, but could not feel much of a difference (and no bogging). Again I am not going to tune for the 50/50 mix. We then went to the middle nozzle which supports up to 350hp. At lower end I seem to notice it is slightly quicker. At higher speeds and punching it there is not much of a difference. I did notice that before spraying my boost gauge shows around 8psi at WOT. But now it is around 9. The middle nozzle does not ever bog down the car..at all. We will try the largest nozzle next (350 to 600hp). Attached is a picture of the aluminum piece finished, but we had not tapped the washer tank yet so no hose coming out of the AEM nozzle (I put a plug in it). Once I find which nozzle is best I will then find the best start and max boost pressure when spraying. Right now it starts at 4psi and max at 8psi. I did run with a MkI GT3 (997) (and not on the track, but on the Autobahn..he would smoke me on the corners) and we were about neck and neck...he slowed and pulled to the right and gave me a thumbs up. I was running almost neck and neck with a friend's 2011 DCT M3 Sedan before spraying (I have a video, but it is very choppy). We will give it another try once I get the right nozzle and setting and will capture another video for comparison if anyone is interested.

Going to ruin those Lamnova Cores...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #54
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Going to ruin those Lamnova Cores...
Please explain....
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #55
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
i guess, due to cavitation there should be erosion and therefore occuring a damage?!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #56
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
also interested to know if the meth will damage the SC
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #57
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

don't think a 50/50 mix will do any harm, as long as it's not getting "dumped" into the airflow...

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Lysholm and they said they are familiar with ESS Tuning's TS kit that uses their SC and they said the rotors are actually still made in Sweden and they are indeed hard anodized and spraying 50/50 meth is good to go. They also said that spraying after the rotors would be best which means I would have to tap into the SC compressor, but they also said before or at the throttle body would still yield decent results....and still safe. Looks like this project will be a go.

Last edited by Dirtboy; 01-30-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Dirtboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #58
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
The Rotors are fine. What I am talking about is the after cooler that is built into the TS it will corroded over time...
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #59
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
I'm a bit worried about that too. Don't really want a piece of aluminium cooling fin to fly into my intake
But ... I don't think it's gonna stop me from installing similar meth kit.
I got a spare motor

OP - do you have custom tune or ESS?

Last edited by lab rat; 02-02-2013 at 12:47 AM.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #60
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
I'm a bit worried about that too. Don't really want a piece of aluminium cooling fin to fly into my intake
But ... I don't think it's gonna stop me from installing similar meth kit.
I got a spare motor

OP - do you have custom tune or ESS?
Hehe