E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #81
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
ESS Twin Screw

what are the hp/torque numbers of your car?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #82
signalwest

My Ride: 2001 330i Sedan TS2
I'm guessing around 385hp and about 350ft-lb torque. No dyno yet. Maybe this summer. I can put about 5 or 6 car lengths on an e92 DCT/comp pkg M3 (friends car) from around 80km/h to 265km/h (he would kill me on the track...no LSD yet) on the Autobahn. I can almost keep up with a new 991 Carrera 4S...it can put about 1 or 2 car lengths on me doing the above speed until I hit my limiter (165mph)....then he really pulls away. I am going to shave off 1mm on my pulley to see what that does for me. It is a fun car on the autobahn.
signalwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #83
jdjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalwest View Post
I'm guessing around 385hp and about 350ft-lb torque. No dyno yet. Maybe this summer. I can put about 5 or 6 car lengths on an e92 DCT/comp pkg M3 (friends car) from around 80km/h to 265km/h (he would kill me on the track...no LSD yet) on the Autobahn. I can almost keep up with a new 991 Carrera 4S...it can put about 1 or 2 car lengths on me doing the above speed until I hit my limiter (165mph)....then he really pulls away. I am going to shave off 1mm on my pulley to see what that does for me. It is a fun car on the autobahn.
nice numbers, I asking you this because I recently bought the Twin Screw ESS SC + 8.5 psi pulley to my e39 530i 5 speed manual and I want to figure it out what are gonna be my real HP/Torque numbers in to my new setup...
right now I have 265HP/255lb-ft torque NA + 3.15 LSD dif (custom made)...

regards,
Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #84
signalwest

That will be a great setup. I did add headers, catback Magnaflow exhaust, modified pulley and methanol injection to name a few. You should be able to pull some good numbers with your setup, but remember it is addictive and you will eventually want a little more. Have fun with it!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #85
jdjg

ESS Twin Screw

Quote:
That will be a great setup. I did add headers, catback Magnaflow exhaust, modified pulley and methanol injection to name a few. You should be able to pull some good numbers with your setup, but remember it is addictive and you will eventually want a little more. Have fun with it!
do you have 2.5" or 3.0" exhaust pipe?
I also have headers + single pipe 2.5" SS + center resonator Magnaflow + Remus muffler.....
and Im wondering if I need to "upgrade" my exhaust pipe diameter from 2.5" to 3.0" because the charger......

regards,

Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #86
signalwest

Stett headers and Magnaflow 16533 (I think 2.5 with 3 inch tip). Looks like the Stett for the e46 non-M is out of stock. Ebay headers are probably just as good and a little cheaper...the last link was suggested by someone also that fit well. Good luck! It is a fun project.

http://www.shop.stettperformance.com...7&categoryId=4

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?id=7292

http://www.bimmerbrakes.com/BimmerBr...n3-325-330.htm
Old 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #87
jdjg

ESS Twin Screw

Quote:
Stett headers and Magnaflow 16533 (I think 2.5 with 3 inch tip). Looks like the Stett for the e46 non-M is out of stock. Ebay headers are probably just as good and a little cheaper...the last link was suggested by someone also that fit well. Good luck! It is a fun project.

http://www.shop.stettperformance.com...7&categoryId=4

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?id=7292

http://www.bimmerbrakes.com/BimmerBr...n3-325-330.htm
thanks.... but I think I asking in the wrong way....
actually, now I have a full cat back in my car, made by me plus a SS Headers with NO cats, my single pipe exhaust are 2.5"....
what In asking you, what are your exhaust pipe diameter and if you recommend a 3" single pipe exhaust since the Supercharger.....

regarda,

Old 12-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #88
signalwest

Looks like 2.5 for me also looking at my exhaust specs. I know ESS says for their next stage (3) porting the exhaust ports 8-10mm wider. I think going 3" would be good especially if you are looking to add more power in the future and eliminate some back pressure. Have you talked to ESS about your setup?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #89
jdjg

Quote:
Looks like 2.5 for me also looking at my exhaust specs. I know ESS says for their next stage (3) porting the exhaust ports 8-10mm wider. I think going 3" would be good especially if you are looking to add more power in the future and eliminate some back pressure. Have you talked to ESS about your setup?
yes, but they do not say anything....
I also asking them to put my rev limiter in 7,200 rpm
Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #90
signalwest

I wish I could go to 7200. That would put me around 175mph or a bit more instead of the 165mph limit at about 6800. Not that I do that all the time

Revs come quick in 1st and 2nd, but Hans from ESS told me that kicking up the RPMs at high speeds like you can get on the autobahn is just too much wear and tear which makes sense. If you raise the limiter then definitely get aggressive cams and maybe start spraying meth like I do for additional safety (and especially if you are in a hotter area). It is fun adding new stuff and testing out the performance. But be careful out there!
Old 12-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #91
jdjg

ESS Twin Screw

I want 7,200 with stock cams (for now) because this is my actual NA setup an its great, but I do not push my motor to that rpm often....
yes, Im planning to install Meth/Water in the near future.....
you actually see any notorious HP/Torque gain?
also, with the Meth/Water, your boost still in 8.5 psi?

regards,

Old 12-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #92
signalwest

I can't say if the butt dyno gave me any extra with the 50/50 mix. I want to say maybe a little because of the octane boost, but I have not tuned for it. What gave me a kick in the pants was having the smaller pulley made. So I am about at the 82mm pulley size and I added the meth to compensate for that addition without a special tune. It made quite a difference. I hit revs a lot quicker. Racing the same DCT M3 I was neck and neck before the smaller pulley/meth combo, but after I was putting some car lengths on him easily. Not blowing him away, but gradually walking away from him whereas before we were about even to 165mph (seems we had about the same limit). I had another friend make the pulley for me. I am looking at getting him to shave off another 1mm to 1.5mm, but no more because that limiter comes too fast. My boost is now around 9 or at times almost touching 9.5 at full rev (analog boost gauge).
Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #93
jdjg

ESS Twin Screw

Quote:
I can't say if the butt dyno gave me any extra with the 50/50 mix. I want to say maybe a little because of the octane boost, but I have not tuned for it. What gave me a kick in the pants was having the smaller pulley made. So I am about at the 82mm pulley size and I added the meth to compensate for that addition without a special tune. It made quite a difference. I hit revs a lot quicker. Racing the same DCT M3 I was neck and neck before the smaller pulley/meth combo, but after I was putting some car lengths on him easily. Not blowing him away, but gradually walking away from him whereas before we were about even to 165mph (seems we had about the same limit). I had another friend make the pulley for me. I am looking at getting him to shave off another 1mm to 1.5mm, but no more because that limiter comes too fast. My boost is now around 9 or at times almost touching 9.5 at full rev (analog boost gauge).
Nice!!!
one question, did you know what are diameter of the ESS 8.5psi pulley?
I want to compare this pulley (the one I order) with yours....
Your friend can made me one? how much?

regards,

Old 12-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #94
signalwest

I have the original 83mm pulley that came with the TS2 kit. I believe ESS is selling the 85mm pulley now with the TS2 kit for safety and the 83 for the TS2+...which used to be 81mm I believe. You may want to call them to confirm. The one my friend machined is right under 82mm. I want to go to 81mm or right under 81mm to see what that does. As far as making a pulley I will ask. It would invalidate any warranty you may still have with ESS. Mine was well out of the 2 year warranty before I went with the meth and smaller pulley. You really should call ESS and see what they can do for you after you find out what size you are running now.

Last edited by signalwest; 12-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #95
jdjg

ESS Twin Screw

Quote:
I have the original 83mm pulley that came with the TS2 kit. I believe ESS is selling the 85mm pulley now with the TS2 kit for safety and the 83 for the TS2+...which used to be 81mm I believe. You may want to call them to confirm. The one my friend machined is right under 82mm. I want to go to 81mm or right under 81mm to see what that does. As far as making a pulley I will ask. It would invalidate any warranty you may still have with ESS. Mine was well out of the 2 year warranty before I went with the meth and smaller pulley. You really should call ESS and see what they can do for you after you find out what size you are running now.
remember ESS sold the 8.5 psi pulley.....
with the stock TS Stage 2 kit, came the 8psi pulley.....
so I bought the TS Stage 2 + 8.5 psi pulley

Old 12-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #96
signalwest

Depending on when you bought the ESS kit the pulley sizes that shipped may have changed. Here is an email last year from ESS, but not sure what date they changed the pulley sizes shipping with the kits. I know I got the 83mm for the regular TS2 back in August 2010:

Sent: Tuesday, 24 January 2012, 16:03

Hello, Sorry for the late reply. I do not recommend you to run more boost on this car. Especially since you are doing allot of high speed driving. I our normal TS2 kits we have changed the pulley to 85mm and the TS2+ is now running a 83mm pulley. This is to prevent engine problems as the cars are getting a little older and has more millage on it.
Regards,
Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #97
jdjg

ESS Twin Screw

here, the pulley what Im talking about
http://www.esstuning.com/products/TS...grade-Kit.html

this pulley do not come with the regular TS Stage 2....... you need to bought this pulley apart.....

so my question, do you have what ESS pulley? the normal that came with the normal kit or the upgraded pulley,
like the link?

regards,

Old 12-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #98
signalwest

It says 81mm on the picture, but according to ESS in my previous post this is now 83mm with the TS2+. The TS2 is now sold with the 85mm pulley. I think you can request a smaller pulley from ESS, but not sure if they will keep your warranty if it is still within the two years. Again, you would need to call ESS to verify. I have the 83mm that came with my original TS2 kit before they started going to the 85mm. The one I had made by a friend is right around 82mm. I will get him to shave off that one to about 81mm. Hope this doesn't confuse. Again the best answers would come from ESS on your setup. They are the experts. My TS2 is out of warranty and I thought I would play around and so far has been very successful. I hope it keeps running for a while. If I have anything positive or negative on my additions I will post them here. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #99
GuidoK

My Ride: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
I've bought the ts2+ kit last spring and that came with the 81mm pulley (I've measured it, because the 81mm pulley didn't have '81mm' engraved, it was blank). And I know one person who bought the ts2+ kit in november and it also had the 81mm pulley afaik.

Otherwise it wouldn't be much of an upgrade (apart from the required cams/headers ofcourse)
E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers

Last edited by GuidoK; 12-25-2013 at 07:07 AM.
GuidoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #100
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
I wonder why the differences