E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum

Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum
Post your positive or negative feedback about transactions with members here.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
goofiefoot

My Ride: 2004 Imola ZHP Sedan
Negative Experience with Khoalty

I really didn't want to have to write this review. In the grand scheme of things, I'm not out much money, and it is not a matter of life and death. However, I have given Khoalty plenty of time and opportunity to make this right, and it has not happened. And I am not a happy customer.

This is a matter of a retail entity neglecting basic customer service. For the idea of customer service to work, you need to listen to your customer's needs and concerns, and stand behind the product you sell. The internet has allowed businesses to function behind the veil of anonymity, and this unfortunately leads to situations such as mine.

My wife ordered for me a set of front grills for my car for Christmas. I had specified that I would like the piano black grills. Unfortunately, Khoalty was out of the piano black, and only listed the matte black on the site as available for my vehicle, so that's what she ordered. It would have been just as easy for them to list the piano black as backordered, which would have caused less confusion, but this is how they handled it. Not a huge deal, but it comes up later. At this point in time, I am still a satisfied customer.

My wife felt bad that she ordered the wrong part, so contacted Khoalty, and once assured they would have the piano black in stock, paid to ship the original grills back for exchange. 3 weeks later, we finally get the correct grills in-hand. We have paid a total of $80 with the back and forth shipping, and extra cost of the piano black. A little frustrating, but certainly nothing we would be unhappy with.

The night I received the correct grills, I visited the Khoalty site, and watched the installation video provided. The installation looked painfully easy, and taking the old grills out was a piece of cake. I'm a relatively handy guy, so all said, the entire installation should have taken less than 15 minutes, and that's just me being careful with my beloved car.

I glanced over the new grilles, and they appeared to be undamaged and ready to install, so I attempted to install the first grill. I put the piece in place, and pushed to snap it in. It didn't seat quite right, so I took it back out, inspected it, along with the metal tabs on the car, and tried again. It still didn't seat quite right. I tried another angle (still well within the installation instructions, as well as general common sense), and when I pushed it into place, the grill cracked, and half fell into my engine compartment. After a few choice words, I carried both halves inside and looked over them.

Each grill is actually 2 separate halves held together by a series of tabs. 4 of the 6 tabs on this grill had either broken completely off, or come apart in some way. I inspected the other grill for reference, and the tabs there looked perfectly intact.

Obviously, I feel there is no way these 2 halves could have come apart like this in normal installation conditions. As easily as they separated, I would have been worried about them staying intact through normal driving. It was my only deduction that the one grill was simply defective.

So, I sent Khoalty an email, with pictures (see below), explaining what happened and asking for them to resolve this quickly, as I had waited a while to receive my actual Christmas gift. I mentioned very briefly that by listing the item as backordered, this might have saved some time (note - this was just an aside, and a suggestion to improve the site experience).

Now, I did receive an email response within an hour, which is impressive, and should be noted. However, the response consisted of 2 very lengthy paragraphs explaining why they didn't want to list an item not for sale, and that it was not their fault my wife ordered the wrong product. The last, very short sentence, then explained they don't replace items damaged during installation. Sorry.

Khoalty, this is where you failed. From this email, I went from a frustrated customer to an ex-customer. My only choice was to continue to try to resolve the problem, then simply avoid any future consideration of your business.

The next morning I sent an email explaining that my intentions may have been overlooked. My main concern was the product failing in a way that should not have been caused by the installation instructions Khoalty provided. Having been as careful with install as possible, it was clear the product was not in the proper condition to have come apart in this way. I made it clear I would like from Khoalty a solution.

I did receive another reply, and this one started out with some hope.

"From looking at the pictures again, the grilles were taken apart for some reason for the install. It isn't possible for the tabs on the outer grill to break off while the inner grill has all the clips in tack without any force of entry."

Then it went downhill. In my previous email, I mentioned reading both good and bad reviews, and that within some of the bad review, they had seemed to try to make things right, and that I hoped they would do the same for me.

"Every company has good and bad reviews, most of our bad reviews is due to customers not installing things right and not getting things their way. We are not responsible for parts being installed on automobiles and getting broken upon install. If the parts came in damage, then it is our duty to give a part that is not damaged and perfect. If we replace everyone's part that when they installed a part and broke it, we will not be in business anymore. We do try our best to solve issues, but sometimes our hands are tied where there isn't a solution as the part came in perfect and not broken."

My response:

"The photos I provided show the assembly after it separated upon installation. Since you saw in the photos that the grills were somehow previously taken apart, and since I did not take the grills apart, it can be concluded that I received parts that were not in the correct condition, and were then faulty upon receipt."

I have heard nothing back. I have left a message on Khoalty's voicemail, and have contacted the manufacturer to let them, too, know of the problem, copying Khoalty on that email. All I am asking for is a replacement of 1 grill, and all I feel I have received is mistrust, neglect, and ill will. I don't feel I can do much more than I have, other than write this review and make others aware of the problem.

goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
goofiefoot

Just a quick follow-up. It's been well over 2 weeks, and I have heard absolutely NOTHING back from Khoalty.

Buyer beware! These guys do not stand behind their products.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
goofiefoot

I just received a PM that made me realize that perhaps my description of events was not clear. I realized I was pretty verbose in my description so here's a quick summary.

1. Received correct color grills after frustration with backorder.

2. Removed grills from packaging.

3. Watched installation video.

4. Removed old grills easily.

5. Installed one new grill.
- The instructions clearly show that the grill installs in one piece, through the front of the hood opening.
I followed this to the letter!
I did not make any attempt to separate the grill.
However the grill did break apart in two halves.

6. Contacted Khoalty, explaining the problem.

7. Received response that they were not responsible for damage occurring during installation.

8. Contacted Khoalty again explaining the damage could not have come from installation, and that the piece had to have been faulty when I received it.

9. Khoalty responded, and admitted the grill had to have been separated to break apart in this fashion.

10. Contacted Khoalty again agreeing with their assessment, and since I did not separate the grills, then I must have received a faulty product.

11. I have heard nothing back.

Khoalty, all you had to do here was stand behind your product. By simply shipping me a new grill, I would have been a satisfied customer. Instead you chose to put the blame on me, and ignore what is obviously a case of product defect or damage. Shame on you.