E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
searedtuner

My Ride: 325i
Low Coolant Light; Low Coolant, but No Leak?

So today, after I thought I was done with my cooling system for awhile, my low coolant light came on. It turned on briefly when I started the car this morning, but it started to come on while driving later in the day. I also noticed at one point the coolant temperature fluctuate from the middle position on the gauge to about the middle of the cold side of the coolant temperature gauge.

I did open the cap and I noticed that the coolant level did look like it was low. I then proceeded to check for leaks under my BMW, but was unable to locate any (aside from the small oil leak from my oil pan gasket I've known about).

Now the weird part is that I have replaced every component of my cooling system in the past 4 months, everything from the water pump, to the thermostat, to the radiator and radiator hoses and even the expansion tank and radiator fans.

I am kind of at a loss as to what is causing the missing coolant.

I suspected that maybe I had an air pocket trapped in the heater core, which was released since I have been using the heater a lot in the past few days (cold blast in Texas :/), but that wouldn't make any sense because the last person to touch the cooling system was a BMW mechanic from a BMW dealership; you would expect a BMW mechanic to properly bleed the coolant system. It also has been close to a month + a thousand or so miles since that happened.

Tl;DR: Low Coolant light comes on intermittently, Looks like low coolant, No leaks, one time temperature fluctuation to the cold side but stays in the middle , New cooling system parts installed by BMW
searedtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
Koninkaulus

My Ride: E46 323 Ci
Either the dealership didnt bleed it well and the coolant got sucked into heater core (or back of the engine) or you have a leak. There really can't be any other explanation as you said it. Add more coolant and bleed it well. Make sure there is no air in the system. If the same problem occurs you know you have a leak Wouldnt be the first time ppl think theres no leaks but there still is a hole somewhere in the system.
E36 318is Coupe
Koninkaulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
searedtuner

My Ride: 325i
Do you think it would be worth it to have a different BMW dealership flush my coolant system?

They want $150 for a diagnostic, but I'm not sure I want to go with that because I can't imagine a leak would form in parts that are only 1 to 4 months old. I have already dumped a lot of money into the cooling system.
searedtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
If it's a slow leak, you won't see any coolant underneath.
Jack up the front of the car and look up toward the water pump and thermostat.
Look for white residue, that gives the leak away.

They must have bled it well, otherwise it would have overheated over 1000 miles.
Another possibility is a bad head gasket and the coolant is burned in the combustion chamber.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
Koninkaulus

My Ride: E46 323 Ci
As lszlszx stated the leak may be inside the block. I doubt this, but its possible. If its leaking and mixing with engine oil you may smell the coolant odor coming from the exhaust pipe. Sadly its not the other way around so that you could just check the coolant for oil marks

I am not sure how much coolant you need to drain for the sensor to light up, but the engine wont overheat easily if theres only under 1 litre of coolant missing. I mean you cant say for sure it was bled well in the dealership. The bad thing is that if the engine has overheated (air bubbles in the back of the engine, temperature difference -> crack) then the head gasket is propably cracked and you know where the leak is. The gasket may be cracked anyway. Why did you replace the cooling system in the first place? Did the cooling system fail and the engine overheated? :-|
E36 318is Coupe

Last edited by Koninkaulus; 01-14-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Koninkaulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Did you replace the lower temp sensor or temp sensor O-ring in the lower radiator hose?

Very common point for slow leak that is very hard to find.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
There is very likely a leak, you just won't see it easily. Also with your temp guage on the cold side, your thermostat is getting stuck open and is likely on its way out as well. You may want to look at all the connections from underneath the car as previously suggested

Last edited by Tutankhamon; 01-14-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote