E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #1
slo scraper

My Ride: E46, Repsol
Eating and lifting guidance needed

Hey all

Big time lurker here, rarely ever post, but occasionally visit the site. I've never asked questions regarding my fitness on a web site before, I'm going to try and be completely honest and open with my eating habits and regime, so be easy on me

My questions are the same ones that have been asked many times, but everyone is different, and I'm just looking for some info/opinions to make sure I'm going about this right for myself.

Aight, as the title states I need some guidance on my fitness and eating habits. Long ass post, if you guys need any more info to help me out let me know.

27, 6-1, about 195-200 lbs (scale stopped working recently) Had never actively "worked out" until I began running/swimming in 2010. Did that for about 2 years, got into crossfit a bit about 2 years ago, and from there started lifting about 1.5 years ago. Been experimenting with different routines, but I stick to a 3 day split of Chest and Tri, Back and Bi, and Legs and Shoulders.

My regime more or less looks this, utilizing a 10-8-6 rep style with increasing weight, unless otherwise stated
Chest and Tri:
Bench press
Incline dumbbell bench press
Flat bench dumbbell flys or cable flys
Inclined dumbbell flys
Pull Downs
Skull Crushers
Dips
Back and Bi:
Wide front grip pull down
Narrow reverse grip Pull down
Seated row
Deadlift 3x5
Seated Preacher curl machine
Hammer Curls
Standing preacher curls (with or w/o bench)
Concentration curls
Legs and Shoulders:
Squats 3x5
Leg/quad raises
Calf raises
Leg curl
Seated military press
Shrugs
Shoulder Raise
Lateral Raise

(The names of some of these moves may not be "correct", its just what I know them as)

As for cardio, I've just started doing some HIIT on either the rower or stationary cycle for about 20 mins after each gym session, as well as riding my bicycle 1-3 times a week for about an hour, ranging from 8-12 miles (working on increasing this as well)

As for my diet, I wont lie, it could be better, but I do try to watch it, after all, thats usually the common problem with staying in shape, no? I still havent really grasped the whole macros idea, but I do understand the calories in, calories out side of things

My diet breaks down like this:
I try to drink plenty of water through the day, I do enjoy coffee, but I try to drink that black or with a little creamer in it, rarely drink soda however.
After each work out I take two scoops of whey, and prior to each work out I've been using Jack3d pre workout (although I never really notice anything with pre-workouts, other then being itchy ha)
I eat some form of fast food maybe 1-2 times a week, but mainly I eat a turkey sandwich on wheat with mayo and cheese for lunch almost every day, with 1 yogurt.
I enjoy cooking, so I try to cook my own food as much as possible, mainly chicken or beef, been using a slow cooker a lot recently.
I eat fruit quite often, apples, pineapple, grapes, bananas etc
Honestly, I only eat breakfast on my days off (2 off), the rest I eat lunch and dinner, with usually granola/protein bars of some kind in between.

Heres a current shot of me. If a better shot is needed lmk

What I'm curious about is first, my diet. There is always a lot of talk of cutting, bulking etc. Basically, I don't really know what I need to be doing when it comes to cutting or bulking. Should I focus more on losing weight and build from there? Or bulk up and then cut it down? I know the latter is usually recommended, but I just need to be sure what would work best for me. There is so many opinions and articles out there about dieting, "dont eat this, dont eat that. Dont eat after Xpm" etc, which can get very confusing. In a perfect world I would love to be told "okay only eat this, this, and this, at this time", realistically I would just like some opinions on being more efficient with my diet.

Second is my regime, How is it? Enough/not enough intensity? Should I change things up? Better more efficient workouts? etc

My goals? Well, pretty much what a lot of people want, lean with good muscle definition! I'm aiming for a swimmers type body. If you wanted to picture it using a celeb, I'd say along the lines of Ryan Reynolds or Jake Gyllenhaal in Jarhead (no h0m0 here, just trying to paint a picture )

I will work on getting you guys an actual caloric break down of my diet with proper numbers in the next few days, figure some info is better then none at the moment. I have the myfitnesspal app as recommend by dabears, just gotta start using it again

Thanks guys, honestly, I just feel a little discouraged/like a fat ass, but I know these things take years of training, and I want to bust my ass earning it. Like I said, this is a bit new for me, but I love working out and being active, I just want to get to that next level.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
slo scraper

Red face

Here's a shot of what my diet was a while back, pretty similar now, prob a lil higher calorie consumption atm

Old 12-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
curtisfisher

My Ride: car
You can't do both - either you're going to get lean or you're going to put size on. Now if you're trying to get like Ryan Reynolds you're going to have to put on more lean muscle mass. In order to get to his lean body mass size, you're going to have to get bigger. By looking at your picture if you were to come down to 180 pounds you're not going to be lean like Ryan Reynolds which means you're smaller - lean body mass wise.

The content of what you're eating is wrong. You need to put down the chart and concentrate on keeping protein high which is a bout 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight (anywhere from 300-400 grams of protein for your body weight) on a daily basis.

Curtis Fisher | Ironman Magazine Blogger
www.dietwhatnots.com
curtisfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfisher View Post
You can't do both - either you're going to get lean or you're going to put size on. Now if you're trying to get like Ryan Reynolds you're going to have to put on more lean muscle mass. In order to get to his lean body mass size, you're going to have to get bigger. By looking at your picture if you were to come down to 180 pounds you're not going to be lean like Ryan Reynolds which means you're smaller - lean body mass wise.

The content of what you're eating is wrong. You need to put down the chart and concentrate on keeping protein high which is a bout 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight (anywhere from 300-400 grams of protein for your body weight) on a daily basis.
I disagree. I think if you eat "clean" and gain definition.

I would say the Ryan Reynolds that you're thinking of is probably around 170 lbs. Eat well, do cardio, lift heavy. Use those people you mentioned but don't be discouraged if you don't end up looking like them, everyone's body is different.
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
curtisfisher

My Ride: car
I don't know how much size you think you can gain by eating clean, but you're either eating a high amount of calories to bulk or you're not. The man was asking whether or not bulk or to diet and get lean. If he plans on getting any bigger there's no way he can diet and do that because if he does diet he'll lose weight and size.

When you diet you are preserving muscle by eating high amounts of protein hoping not to lose any of it. So there is no way he will gain much muscle if any by having a clean diet and doing cardio. So that's why you either do one or the other. Even all pros gain weight during the off season when not on a diet and when they get ready for a show they lose weight and size.

Curtis Fisher | Ironman Magazine Blogger
www.dietwhatnots.com
curtisfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
I disagree. I think if you eat "clean" and gain definition.

I would say the Ryan Reynolds that you're thinking of is probably around 170 lbs. Eat well, do cardio, lift heavy. Use those people you mentioned but don't be discouraged if you don't end up looking like them, everyone's body is different.
you can't gain and lose. Anyone that thinks they can has never made significant changes in either. IE lean gainers or people who are wrong.

OP

I can help. PM me your email address. First step is getting you to understand nutrition. The workout is fine. People spend way too much time disceting the training when 90% of it is just lifting heavy and hitting everything.

Please realize this is a longgggg road. I've been working hard for the better part of 3 years and most people would probably not stick with it if all the saw was my end result. I am 20lbs heavier with the same waist size, much stronger, and happier. But you have to want this life. You can't just make it a 1hr window of your regular schedule.

With all that said I think you should cut for a few months. Get lean when we can focus on getting you more muscular. your natural body type is very similar to mine.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-08-2014 at 10:16 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
slo scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
you can't gain and lose. Anyone that thinks they can has never made significant changes in either. IE lean gainers or people who are wrong.

OP

I can help. PM me your email address. First step is getting you to understand nutrition. The workout is fine. People spend way too much time disceting the training when 90% of it is just lifting heavy and hitting everything.

Please realize this is a longgggg road. I've been working hard for the better part of 3 years and most people would probably not stick with it if all the saw was my end result. I am 20lbs heavier with the same waist size, much stronger, and happier. But you have to want this life. You can't just make it a 1hr window of your regular schedule.

With all that said I think you should cut for a few months. Get lean when we can focus on getting you more muscular. your natural body type is very similar to mine.
Thanks man, and I hear ya, this isn't something that will happen overnight, but I think that builds excitement and motivation for what could be, I just wanted to make sure I was going about this the right way

Pm sent your way