E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
The Expanse - TV Show

Holy fvck, this show is awesome. Any of you guys watching this? Easily the best sci-fi show I've seen since BSG wrapped up and probably in my top 10 shows of all time right now.

The story line, acting, CGI, and world they created in this is phenomenal. Highly recommend giving it a shot.

SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Stankia

My Ride: F80 M3
I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi stuff but this is decent. The CGI is amazing.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
I'm liking it too. Aside from Thomas Jane's mumbling that makes me almost need subtitles. It's a really good story, and well fleshed out since it's based on a series of books, so we don't have to worry about stupid writers being forced to make up stupid sh!t and ruining it. There's a serious lack of quality sci-fi out there, and this show is definitely quality.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
SamDoe1

I'm blown away by the detail in the world they've created. Even down to acknowledging different gravity levels on different planet and even using "gravity torture" on a person who's used to low G environments.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I'm blown away by the detail in the world they've created. Even down to acknowledging different gravity levels on different planet and even using "gravity torture" on a person who's used to low G environments.
That sounds pretty awesome. I love sci-fi feature films but never watched any shows since Star Trek: TNG with THE Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Since then never watched anything (excluding animated tv shows like Star Wars: the Clone Wars). But this looks good, with a darker side.

Never seen Battlestar Galactica
Old 01-31-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
That sounds pretty awesome. I love sci-fi feature films but never watched any shows since Star Trek: TNG with THE Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Since then never watched anything (excluding animated tv shows like Star Wars: the Clone Wars). But this looks good, with a darker side.

Never seen Battlestar Galactica
No argument there...

This show is NOTHING like TNG though. Instead of the "problem of the week" style show, it's a total storyline with a set goal and a defined run time and a conclusion. Definitely worth your watch though, I started watching last week and have been doing two episodes a day ever since. Almost caught up now.

If you haven't watched BSG, you are missing out. It's another storyline show that is out to tell one story with a defined and well thought out conclusion and not run for 10 seasons.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:39 AM   #7
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
Just spent the last 3 nights watching all 10 episodes. God I hope this doesn't get canceled prematurely like almost all the other recent sci-fi shows.
atinybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:33 AM   #8
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: E46 Dinan 330ci
A good SF series that was ahead of it's time when it came out was Babylon 5. It had an overarching storyline, good (for it's time) effects and was a bit darker than the Star Trek shows.
It did go on for a season too long but the characters and acting was pretty good.

Like a lot of the SF shows, budget concerns were a big issue.

My favorite cancelled series would be Farscape and of course the expected choice of Firefly.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
Just spent the last 3 nights watching all 10 episodes. God I hope this doesn't get canceled prematurely like almost all the other recent sci-fi shows.
Already been renewed for another season.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:17 AM   #10
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & F56 JCW
That finale.. Really sets things up to be interesting.

Also read the synopsis for all the books the series will be based on. This is a series that must live on.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #11
bagher
Account closed.

Send a message via AIM to bagher
I want to watch this but hated BSG
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post

Also read the synopsis for all the books the series will be based on. This is a series that must live on.
Agreed. Looks like it has a long way to go. I wonder if they'll deviate from the books more or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
I want to watch this but hated BSG
Do it. This show is more dark than BSG and is more of a mystery type story more so than one of survival.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #13
Bartacus

Quote:

Agreed! Considering the complete lack of good sci-fi, it would be damn near criminal if this gets cancelled.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Agreed! Considering the complete lack of good sci-fi, it would be damn near criminal if this gets cancelled.
It was renewed back in December for at least one more season. Hopefully more if it stays this good.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Just watched the trailer and it looks well done, but I have to laugh at the idea that people born and raised in a space colony have different accents.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
Bartacus

My only real complaint is Thomas Jane. I like the guys character, but I can't make out a word he says. I ended up stealing the 1080p episodes off the interwebz, and thankfully they came with a subtitle file, otherwise I'd have no idea what he's saying 90% of the time.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #17
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
BSG was a great show
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & F56 JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Just watched the trailer and it looks well done, but I have to laugh at the idea that people born and raised in a space colony have different accents.
It's one of those things you feel like they throw in there because "artistic expression." I really dislike it. But maybe they couldn't think of any other way the culture of a space born group would be different. I think their original explanation for it was all the influences of early pioneering groups (chinese, americans, etc) worked together so languages were fused.

I also don't think it's right to compare it to BSG, their only similarities are that they're scifi television with not terrible quality. If anything the expanse feels slightly more campy than BSG. Still a fantastic show though, It could grow in to something incredible.

Unrelated but I'm also curious how VaderDave would feel about the space mormons..
Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #19
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I laugh at the idea that people born and raised in Boston have different accents than those born and raised in Georgia...oh wait...

Quote:
It's one of those things you feel like they throw in there because "artistic expression." I really dislike it. But maybe they couldn't think of any other way the culture of a space born group would be different. I think their original explanation for it was all the influences of early pioneering groups (chinese, americans, etc) worked together so languages were fused.

I also don't think it's right to compare it to BSG, their only similarities are that they're scifi television with not terrible quality. If anything the expanse feels slightly more campy than BSG. Still a fantastic show though, It could grow in to something incredible.

Unrelated but I'm also curious how VaderDave would feel about the space mormons..
I think it's totally plausible that people growing up in different environments could eventually have different accents, it happens here on earth all the time. Remember that the colonies have been out there for at least a generation or two. It's similar to how people who grew up in low G environments have elongated limbs and heads due to low gravity. I feel like it's just another aspect of the show that makes the world more realistic.

Second, I think it's similar in that it follows a set story with a start and an end unlike other scifi shows that are more "story of the week" type of timeline without much continuity.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #20
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
BSG was a great show
I loved the first couple of seasons of BSG. But the last season or two, it got terrible. Without giving anything away, basically the whole "god" storyline.

I'm also not in love with the show's ending.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote