E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
911 > Cayman - Proof that the 911 Turbo S is bulletproof

Just thought I'd toss that thread title out there to rustle some jimmies.

This makes all other cars with launch control look weak. Just that sound of the throttle blipping on redline before take off 50 times in a row must be pure HEAVEN.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63
boxster>all
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.2
^ this. Who would pay 100k for a pendulum? Morons. Give me a baseline convertible any day.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 04-10-2014 at 08:07 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
trizzuth

While it must be cool to do that 50 times over and over again, I can't help but be disappointed in how autonomous newer cars are these days. Simply set launch control, mash the gas pedal, hell, even let your hands off the wheel up into the air and go. Where the F is the driver interaction? Sure, it is lightening fast, but it still makes me sad.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
While it must be cool to do that 50 times over and over again, I can't help but be disappointed in how autonomous newer cars are these days. Simply set launch control, mash the gas pedal, hell, even let your hands off the wheel up into the air and go. Where the F is the driver interaction? Sure, it is lightening fast, but it still makes me sad.
That's the way the morons that buy 911's want it. They don't want to drive. They just want to own a fast car - fast in a straight line, especially.

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Properstyle

My Ride: 2002 SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
^ this. Who would pay 100k for a pendulum? Morons. Give me a baseline convertible any day.
a base model vette? seriously c4 slow even from the day it came out. c5 still slow and getting walked by heavier cars, c6 oh we finally get some power at the entry level and now the c7 has finally but a base model vette on the map. oh by the way it takes vette 2 years every time to beat the nurburg record set by a porche. this being consistant for the last 2 decades not to mention unless our buying a carbon, or zr1 the interior panels of a vette are crap to say the least.

When you start paying for my Mods, I'll start caring what you think of the ones I've chosen...

Last edited by Properstyle; 04-10-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Properstyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
trizzuth

I just saw a comparo on 5th gear pitting the 911 Turbo S vs the Noble M600 vs the Nissan GTR Track pack. 911 lit them up in every single straight line run, and I think the GTR ended up winning by a hair... and the noble was straight up rear wheel drive, manual tranny, with zero traction control, it had issues putting the power down, but when they came to a straight, it would literally slingshot past both the 911 and GTR, then get overtaken in the corners because 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
If those 0-60 numbers are correct, this car will give a GTR a run for it's money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
IFX

My Ride: AW //M
the price tag imo, is a little over the top...
Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Very impressive, but boring. I'd love to play around with that on the track, but if I was buying one to drive on the streets, I'd still want the manual.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
If those 0-60 numbers are correct, this car will give a GTR a run for it's money.
Here, watch this 5th gear episode around the 2:50 mark, 911 beats the GTR every single time in the drag races, 0-60 or 1/4 mile, always wins, hands down. Noble disappears in the rearview because of it's inability to put the power down.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
The Noble needs more electronic nannies.

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Properstyle

My Ride: 2002 SMG M3
Becomes a weight thing once you get down to it. GTR out weighs a 911 by a few hundred so it should be losing when they are making close to the same numbers for HP and TQ

When you start paying for my Mods, I'll start caring what you think of the ones I've chosen...

Last edited by Properstyle; 04-10-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Properstyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
a base model vette? seriously c4 slow even from the day it came out. c5 still slow and getting walked by heavier cars, c6 oh we finally get some power at the entry level and now the c7 has finally but a base model vette on the map. oh by the way it takes vette 2 years every time to beat the nurburg record set by a porche. this being consistant for the last 2 decades not to mention unless our buying a carbon, or zr1 the interior panels of a vette are crap.
lol wut?

1.) How did you get corvette from convertible?
2.) A base Corvette costs half as much as a base 911 to start with.
3.) A Corvette ZR1 is faster than any 911 around the nurburgring. Doesn't matter when it happened, it happened and the vette is cheaper...by $50k. So in theory you could buy a ZR1 and another nice car for the cost of one 911 turbo.
4.) A Corvette Z06 is faster than most 911 models around the nurburgring and costs even less than a ZR1.

tl;dr: Porsches are great cars but they aren't the best out there. There are plenty of cars to be had that are cheaper and faster. Corvettes continue to be an incredible performance bargain.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
lol wut?

1.) How did you get corvette from convertible?
2.) A base Corvette costs half as much as a base 911 to start with.
3.) A Corvette ZR1 is faster than any 911 around the nurburgring. Doesn't matter when it happened, it happened and the vette is cheaper...by $50k. So in theory you could buy a ZR1 and another nice car for the cost of one 911 turbo.
4.) A Corvette Z06 is faster than most 911 models around the nurburgring and costs even less than a ZR1.

tl;dr: Porsches are great cars but they aren't the best out there. There are plenty of cars to be had that are cheaper and faster. Corvettes continue to be an incredible performance bargain.
+123456
Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #16
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Threads like this always bring out the stupid in people. How you can make emotional arguments about cars is beyond me. Misguided Corvette hate, random hate for superior transmission systems, etc. If you don't like it, don't buy it jackasses.

BMW VIN Decoder
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #17
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
I've owned an 01 911 and an 06 Corvette and honestly the corvette is not built very well. They never seem to want to go back together like they came apart. That said the drive train was bulletproof. It bucks and shimmy's like a freight train but once it hooks up it's solid. The vette also had alot of oversteer on the track and the steering was vague and imprecise.

The porsche was completely opposite. It felt like a precise driving instrument. Incredibly well built and flexible on the track. But I found the drive train was a bit brittle. Lots of little thing breaking on it. However, it always went back together the way it came apart. It was a pleasure to work on, where the vette was kind of PIA in the shop.
erickonphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Vettes and Porches are only meant to be comparable in performance. Any other comparison, and the Vette is going to get crapped on due to all it's value going to performance and not much else.

BMW VIN Decoder
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63
i agree with Lair...he is the ultimate authority when it comes to porsches. he owned a few and concluded that a boxster is the ultimate porsche.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Just thought I'd toss that thread title out there to rustle some jimmies.

This makes all other cars with launch control look weak. Just that sound of the throttle blipping on redline before take off 50 times in a row must be pure HEAVEN.

Ha...Bill is my step brother.

In before cool story bro.