E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
bstylz01

My Ride: 1999 328i
Ivini app

Has anyone tried this ?
I have a 1999 en 328i and just bought a blue tooth obd2

The Duo
bstylz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Haven't tried it, but going to install the free one and see what happens. I have the Torque app that I play with from time to time, and the BMW Scanner software on my laptop, but this could be fun to toy around with too, just to see what it does.

My thinking is that for the older models with the underhood round plug, this probably isn't going to do a lot since there are many functions through that that are controlled versus the OBDII port. Guess I'll find out when I get out to the car in an hour from work.

Edit: Pretty much worthless for me, at least the freebie version. Again, it might be better with models that don't rely on the circle under-hood connector for half of everything, but even putting the model into the app it comes right up and says "hey, use a cable instead". Defeats the purpose, really. The only other function that even worked, at least on mine, was the diagnostic, and even that didn't do much at all. Get SO much more out of Torque for a few bucks. You get the real time info, still get scan and reset options, and it's not model specific. This might be great for some models, but early ones, it's got nothing to offer.

Last edited by CharlzO; 12-29-2014 at 10:51 PM.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
BMW-North

My Ride: 01ci,03i,03xi,04xi
I've been reading a lot of hype about this app and wanted to see if it might be a good replacement for my portable setup of BMW Scanner 4.1 on a netbook.

Well I played with the full version for a wee bit today (2 hrs actually before my time limit was up for the $58 Google Play app fee refund) and given a choice between PA Soft BMW Scan 4.1 or this, P.A Soft win hands down despite the fact I have to carry a netbook tethered to a usb cable into the car.

The portability they hype was lost anyway as the blue tooth doesn't work with e46 and so I had to tether it anyway using a UTG cable.

IMHO this Ivini BMWhat app may someday be a fab app but right now it is pretty lame if you own an E46. It has flaky communications and often just hung up while communicating to various ECU's. This is worrying if I were to use it for coding. The info presented is not thorough and being designed for a phone as opposed to a pc the amount of info presented is minimal.

Missing are straightforward methods and prompts to backup data before coding so this is also an issue.

It does have the ability to interpret multiple chassis versions but I've found the BMW Scan can do that although it fails on many modules after 03/07.

The biggest benefit is using your phone for this (I actually bought a cheap android tablet to use for testing - it's going back too) but so far this app couldn't hold a candle to BMW Scan for ease of use and stability for using on an e46.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote