E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
Aventador_nb

My Ride: E46 323i
Fuel Pump Change on E46

Hi guys! So I changed my fuel pump today, it was my first time doing it. There's not many helpful videos online. It's one of the easiest things I've done so far on the E46. However, I have a couple of tips.
First, the gasket on the pump is very important and kinda tricky to put on. If you'll leave it on the pump, it's hard to install. Thread the gasket onto the inner tank gasket before you install the pump. It makes life so much easier.
Second, do the job with a low fuel level. I did it with less than 1/4 of a tank. It seems like a common sense thing but with the tank full, it's really hard to work in there.
When I put my pump on the first time, when I slid the pump in, the gasket had moved out of place. I went to fill my tank to the top. My tank started leaking at the gas station, pretty heavily. I got home, only about 1.5 miles away. I took everything apart and realized my gasket mistake. It was quite scary to see all of that gasoline dripping though. Hopefully this helps someone who wants to do it for the first time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using E46Fanatics mobile app

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
Aventador_nb

Do you guys have any clue what this is for? It was under my seat, unhooked.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
Aventador_nb

For the second time when I was putting the gasket on, I used one of these cable attachments to shut the fuel line. The fuel line was squirting heavily because the tank was full. It fit perfectly.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
allikanbe

My Ride: 2006 330Ci Convertib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador_nb View Post

Do you guys have any clue what this is for? It was under my seat, unhooked.

That wire is for shipping the car. It's not used after delivery. You can find out more info if you do a search on this forum. It's been asked before.

There are a few DIYs on changing the fuel filter. http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Fitting the gasket correctly is mentioned in probably all the DIYs.

You had me worried about the cable splitter until I read the caption. :-)

Good job on replacing the pump. Did you replace the filter also?

Last edited by allikanbe; 03-05-2017 at 06:44 AM.
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
That wire is for shipping the car. It's not used after delivery. You can find out more info if you do a search on this forum. It's been asked before.

There are a few DIYs on changing the fuel filter. http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Fitting the gasket correctly is mentioned in probably all the DIYs.

You had me worried about the cable splitter until I read the caption. :-)

Good job on replacing the pump. Did you replace the filter also?
I haven't changed the filter yet. I'll do that soon. Or should I take it to a shop? I don't have a lift to get under the car, apart from a simple $40 jack.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
allikanbe

My Ride: 2006 330Ci Convertib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador_nb View Post
I haven't changed the filter yet. I'll do that soon. Or should I take it to a shop? I don't have a lift to get under the car, apart from a simple $40 jack.

I bought my filter online and took it to a local Western Auto to have it installed. i didn't feel like laying on my back under the car with gas splashing out. It was worth the $40 to have someone else do it using a lift.
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
I bought my filter online and took it to a local Western Auto to have it installed. i didn't feel like laying on my back under the car with gas splashing out. It was worth the $40 to have someone else do it using a lift.
That's what I was thinking