E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
C00KIE M0NSTER

My Ride: ZHP Coupe
Steering Problem - Steering Wheel will not Self-Center

I have an '04 ZHP with 160k miles. I've replaced the steering shaft guibo, lower control arms, FCABs, inner and outer tierods, all four strut mounts, all four struts/shocks and rear trailing arm bushings. I just had an alignment recently, and tires have less than 5k miles.

When I make a turn the steering wheel will not auto correct and return all the way to center like it should. I uploaded a video showing what it does. Any idea what it could be? I did a little searching and I'm thinking maybe it's the actual steering rack, the power steering pump, or steering shaft u-joint??

Thanks for any help.

\ - U ///Mirin? - /

Last edited by C00KIE M0NSTER; 12-18-2013 at 11:04 PM.
C00KIE M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
steering shaft guibo - this part is to tight in the steering shaft and creating unnecessary tension to shaft...likely pushing on to the steering rack to mach and making pinion gears inside the rack hart to turn....

Loose your steering u-joint, jerk it up and down a little and tighten back the bolts.

EDIT: post the results once done.

Last edited by mr ilia; 12-19-2013 at 07:36 AM.
mr ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
steering shaft guibo - this part is to tight in the steering shaft and creating unnecessary tension to shaft...likely pushing on to the steering rack to mach and making pinion gears inside the rack hart to turn....

Loose your steering u-joint, jerk it up and down a little and tighten back the bolts.

EDIT: post the results once done.
eh the coupler would just decrease responsiveness. it wont affect outright centering issues. Its hard to tell from the video, but if you are convinced your rack isnt centering it could be the rack or a caster issue. is your caster within spec? Are your strut bearings installed correctly making sure they can rotate?

The coupler should be done regardless but dont expect any miracles replacing just that.

It's a common misconception that the coupler causes the car to tramline, wander, etc. Coupler wont affect the way the front steering performs/behaves but it can affect the way input is transmitted by YOU the user turning the steering wheel to the front wheels (response)

GL

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
mr ilia

I just realized you also changed strut mounts. There is big washer that must be installed between the spring top hat and the strut bearing. Missing or damaged washer will prevent steering wheel to self center, steering may also feel heavy.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
C00KIE M0NSTER

Mango, I replaced the steering coupler within last 5k miles. The strut bearings are new also, and Ilia I made sure to install that washer with the new strut bearings.

My caster was out of spec before my alignment, but they brought it back into spec, only thing that is out of spec with alignment is front left camber.

\ - U ///Mirin? - /
Old 12-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Steering Problem - Steering Wheel will not Self-Center

Disconnect the tie rods and make sure each steering knuckle assembly has full and free movement.

Has it ever been in a wreck?

Was not able to watch video.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
C00KIE M0NSTER

It has not been in a wreck to my knowledge, and doesn't show any signs of it. When I replaced the tie rods, there was some power steering fluid inside the driver side dust boot where the inner tie rod connects to the steering rack. It didn't continue to leak however.

\ - U ///Mirin? - /
Old 12-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
mr ilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00KIE M0NSTER View Post
It has not been in a wreck to my knowledge, and doesn't show any signs of it. When I replaced the tie rods, there was some power steering fluid inside the driver side dust boot where the inner tie rod connects to the steering rack. It didn't continue to leak however.
The fluid in the boot is a sign of leaking steering rack.
It is however has nothing to do with your issue.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
e46_pt

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
The fluid in the boot is a sign of leaking steering rack.
It is however has nothing to do with your issue.
Was this problem solved?
e46_pt is offline   Reply With Quote