E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
modular93fox

My Ride: 1987 R10
'00 F-Body + '99 E39 = MY swap

Little back ground about myself, I am a BMW Master Tech with 4 years experience. Ive made 3 swaps in my time. 1st was my 93 Mustang GT - 5.0 w/T5 swaped in a 2003 4.6 w/3650 manual. Started up 1st try with the factory harness I modified. Modified 4.6 long tube headers to fit the chassis. 2nd swap was my 87 Silverado - 5.7 TBI w/700r4 swaped in a 2004 5.3 w/4l60e. Swaped the intake manifold to a 2002 to obtain the drive by cable . Again, modified the 5.3 harness and integrated it to the original harness and all gauges function including cruise control. Also modfied 5.3 long tube headers to fit the chassis. Last swap was for a friend, 76 nova swaped in a 5.3 w/4l60e. He opted to use a painless harness and later pulled the engine to poke and stroke it to a 383 stroker Also modified the 5.3 long tube headers to fit the application.... think we used F-body headers.

Well today I finally have an engine/trans for one of the 2 BMW's I bought specifically for the LS swap. The lucky winner is the E39 because its an automatic car, and the LS1 came from an automatic car... had it been from a 6 speed car, well it would have went to my E46 thats a manual already. Both cars are in super clean condition and I would get shot for sure if I said how much I paid for them.... lets just say the LS1 /w all the accessories, harness, computer, trans lines, driveshaft, and a/c lines was 2x as much as the car I got the engine combo for a steal too.. probably get shot for saying how much I paid for that too
Engine has 102k on it, transmission has been replaced at some point - it has a GM reman sticker on top of the bellhousing, BBK 80mm throttle body, rusted shorty headers and 8.xx mm Taylor plug wires.

The headers will get choped up most likely as they can't really be used in the current condition. The ball flange is rusted badly.. no biggie, have no idea if they will even fit the chassis, but aleast I will be able to say yey or nay for shorty header fitment
The Taylor wires are getting replaced as I pulled the dang wire off the connector oh well, its a maintenance item anyway that would be replaced anyway.
The BBK throttle body is gonna be a keeper... I did forget the dang mass airflow sensor at the bone yard which is super far from my house Need to see what other vehicles fit that mass airflow and pick one up at a bone yard.
The driveshaft is giving me fits! It seems like the yoke is siezed on the output shaft of the trans. A few dozen good blows from a 2lb ? brass hammer and it didnt seem to budge.. I cant see any way to remove the driveshaft any other way besides hitting the actual shaft (not the yoke as I need it undamaged).. any ideas?
The throttle cable from the camaro is wierd, probably wont even use it as the bone yard seperated the 1 cable from the module.. solution will be to use the Silverado throttle cable. I used that cable in my 87 Silverado when I did the 5.3/Auto swap. As far as Cruise control, I will use the Silverado cruise control module. Simple to wire up.

Other than that, Im gonna pull the M52tu out of the E39 soon, probably post up a ad on craigslist for it for a few 100.... what would be a decent price to ask for an engine w/automatic trans?

For those who have done a E39 swap, Did you reuse anything on the driveshaft? or buy aftermarket parts? If so what did you use for the drive shaft?

Wiring will be the easiest part of the swap and the hardest I expect to be the Headers. Ive got NCSexpert to code the cluster to get it to work properly, Ive coded dozens of cars for other things, so coding this cluster should be no biggie. One goal is to do something with the useless MPG gauges. Maybe turn it into a usefull gauge if possible.. maybe not though..

Here a few pictures of the E39 that I posted in the donor car thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=107

These pictures might not be that flattering as its sat for about 2 months prior to me cleaning it but the car has cleaned very nicely. Only a few odds and ends will be needed.

Man am I excited to tear into this project, I do need to have my garage wired for my 120v welder. I want 10 or 8 gauge wire ran to a dedicated circuit for the welder, so that will slow me down a little... so untill I get the garage wired, I cant make mounts or nada.
One bonus is once I get the mounts and everything in order, I will make a template in autocad, as I will use it to make my parts by printing the template and then transferring it to the metal and cut out the parts i need by hand... I will upload the templates once I know it works.

As it is now, I dont expect to make much progress for a few short weeks... as I do I will post pictures and solutions to things that Ive ran into.

clint

update: removed trans to exhange since driveshaft yoke siezed to trans output shaft... found a 745.00 $ yank ss3200 stall installled

update: got replacement 2003 4l60e trans, 64k miles

update: ordered a load of replacement gaskets and maintenance items
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
modular93fox

even though this is an e39, its gonna be the same process for the e46
Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Bmw_fever

My Ride: 01' 325i ZSP ZCW
I love V8s, almost as much as straight 6's
Bmw_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
modular93fox

made some progress last weekend

clint
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Awesome. I love the idea of putting an LS motor in an e46 (e39 too), I always figured the biggest hurtle would be the wiring. Good luck with the project!

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Looks good! You may beat Vorshlag
Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
modular93fox

dont know why automerge doubles my messages at times but?? heres a few pictures of the 5 as of today..

-8 tube to -6an brazed to all 3 fittings. Worked out exaclty as I had imagined.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6582/7151m.jpg

Factory GM trans lines, cut at the belhousing and flared to inverted 45 to union so it can be removed with ease if i needed to drop the trans for one reason or another. Othwerwise Im not sure if I could get a wrench in to loosen the AN fittings if you go that route.. havent installed the -5 tube to -6 an fitting yet, got lazy. from what Ive read it doesnt matter which way the trans lines go into a cooler if you are not using a radiator cooler... so it looks like the bottom of the trans which is OUT, will go in the top of the cooler as shown in the pic... other wise i would have to cross the lines, no biggie. Does anyone know if this will cause a problem, Hot going from top of cooler and cool out the bottom?

Factory harness installed and routed behind the black firewall trim panel. Factory harness isnt long enough for some sensors, probably on the passenger side since I went back towards center and so on... what I will wind up doing is running new wires to the old connectors. Buy new terminals and reuse the seals... thats the game plan anyway... or buy new seals if i can find em.

Once I finish the harness, i'll pull the motor out again, replace all the seals and gaskets for preventive maintenance and knowing its been done, drain tank, add some fuel , final assembly and fire it up.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Very awesome man. Congrats on the progress.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote