E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
DenisM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 E46
Question 2012 X3 35i or 2012 Touareg Highline

Hi guys,

I am considering purchasing an SUV and two models are on top of my list, 2012 Touareg and BMW X3 35i.

Here in Canada, price-wise they come very close (V6 Touareg highline, X3 with Premium package) so price is not a decisive factor in this case.

They both have their advantages; Touareg being a larger,heavier vehicle perfect for harsh Canadian winters, while BMW has an impressive performance and solid 4 wheel drive capabilities. X3 grew in size recently and although smaller then T-eg, it provides a decent amount of space inside.

I don't drive off-road so Touareg might be an overkill for me but, on the other hand, its size and weight makes it more safer in winter conditions (at least in my mind). At the same time X3 has impressive performance and probably sufficient size and safety factor for city driving in the winters.

So in other words, X3 would satisfy the majority of my needs and it's more fun to drive, but it seems that T-eg has better value considering that you get more space, better equipped, "real" SUV for the same price.

I was wondering if there are other factors that could help me decide which one to go for. Maybe maintenance cost and overall reliability?

Curious to hear if others experienced similar dilemma ..

Thanks,
Denis

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Never driven in a X3, but ive got some seat time in a 1st gen Touareg and i gotta say, one solid vehicle. Id be hard pressed to decide too if i were you, tho i'd be thinking more X5.
I think the AWD system in the VW is better than the Xdrive setup tho. It seems from what ive gathered, that the BMW relies on more electronics than the VW/Audi/porsche system.

I cant even detect the AWD system at work in the touareg here in this harsh German winter. PURE effortless driving, almost as if its not even driving over ice and snow and sh1t. BUT again, cant say how the BMW does.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
carbon_schwarz

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
We've got the 06 touareg v10 tdi and it is an amazing machine. Touareg will have a much nicer Interior than x3 IMO. Not sure what the power is like on the v6 but the v10 twin turbo is staggering. Even though i am a BMW guy iv never been a fan of their SUVs, if I had the money I'd go for a q7 or cayenne.
carbon_schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Snik
OEM ///Member

Would love to get a V10 diesel.

Carbon, you need to see the X3 with the factory sport kit. I used to hate it, and the X1 too, but the more i see here in Germany with the factory kit, i start to like em. For a stock vehicle, tho, i think the X5 Sport is the best looking.

But hooked up touaregs are so rare, it makes it more appealing. I think ive only seen maybe 3 hooked up Touaregs.
The only thing i hate is that ugly 4 spoke VW steering wheel.

Whats do used V10 run for these days?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Snik
OEM ///Member

Not sure you guys can see this, but i saw this on Felgenoutlet's FB feed today. Love it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Would so love to replicate that, even with a V6. Its soo sexy.
where does one get fender flares like that for these?

Last edited by Snik; 04-19-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
carbon_schwarz

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
http://www.lltek.com/volksgate/html/..._touareg_1.htm

We have the hofele kit on ours with a custom grille, here in Canada for 06 they are going for about $30k-35k. Pretty expensive but I think that here in Vancouver there is probably only 5 in the whole city so it makes it pretty cool
carbon_schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Snik
OEM ///Member

yeah i did a quick look on autotrader. V10s are up there.
I like the Caractere kits, love them with fender flares.

Last edited by Snik; 04-20-2012 at 04:16 AM.