E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
jared_wiesner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 713
My Ride: 1999 328i
I agree its good for much longer periods with the way most people drive their cars. I get where xixixi is coming from though when he says that he flogs on his car and wants to make sure its protected. Especially if you are tracking your car, the oil temps reach extremes, this will cause even the best synthetic to deteriorate in a shorter time period than it would otherwise..
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
I agree its good for much longer periods with the way most people drive their cars. I get where xixixi is coming from though when he says that he flogs on his car and wants to make sure its protected. Especially if you are tracking your car, the oil temps reach extremes, this will cause even the best synthetic to deteriorate in a shorter time period than it would otherwise..
Or running lots of nitrous through a motor. I agree, this isn't a normal practice and for DD (commuters). Just wait for 10k and get a free change from bmw. This is my first hand exp, not everyone will have the same exp.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
jared_wiesner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 713
My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Or running lots of nitrous through a motor. I agree, this isn't a normal practice and for DD (commuters). Just wait for 10k and get a free change from bmw. This is my first hand exp, not everyone will have the same exp.
I dunno 10k just seems extreme to me and from what I've read even well treated oil breaks down before then. Hell even just for the sake of getting a new filter in there before 10k I'd change oil before then. I think the 10k interval is bmws way of saving on maintenance costs.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
I dunno 10k just seems extreme to me and from what I've read even well treated oil breaks down before then. Hell even just for the sake of getting a new filter in there before 10k I'd change oil before then. I think the 10k interval is bmws way of saving on maintenance costs.
I forgot my sarcasm font I'm old school, used to doing oil every 2k. They say the oil is better, longer lasting, more protective, doesn't break down.. etc. I have no issues believing that. I enjoy working on my car. I might change my oil, cause bored Do what you like!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use