E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Complete Cars

Complete Cars
List your BMW or other cars, trucks or vehicles for sale.

Don't forget to search for deals on craigslist and eBay Motors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
99 328i 5 speed, light mods, in NC

Brief synopsis : 99, 5speed some mods $5k
I've owned this car for awhile now. Shortly after my join date here, I think around Feb 07 so 5 years. Good years, some tough ones at first but good overall. Nothing really wrong with car, it's driving great, not leaking anything, just I seem to have lost the passion lately and am thinking of moving on. I know the book says it ain't worth much, and I'm not gonna be on here asking 10k for it. That said I won't even consider 2 to 3k lowballs. This is a well maintained and upgraded e46. Not upgraded looks but under the hood and suspension. Someone that is into messing with kits and such could have a good car and give it some love again.

SUBFRAME IS FINE.

Anyways, mods/repair since I've owned car:
By Indy mechanic in Asheville:
clutch,pp,to bearing
RTABS
Rear Diff Bushing
Driver's window reg

By myself and buddy:
VANOS seals VC gasket bilstein sports / stock sport springs and swaybar
CCV system

By myself:
Exp tank, WP, Thermostat, Fan switch sensor, Coolant level sensor,
Clutch fan (yes, the car is a factory 5 speed w/ clutch fan very early model)
Plugs, All coil packs, PS Reservoir and leaky hoses (no leaks), Steering coupler, DISA, cleaned ICV, both Intake boots, air pump hoses,
Cabin blower fan & FSR, windshield washer pump, wiper blade relay
UUC SSK, SS brake lines, super blue dot 4 fluid
Meyle HD CA bushings and control arms
Late model Stereo Aux plug installed next to traction control
Satellite Radio
Replaced worn steering wheel with good condition one
Bought replacement style 44s all around
2 10" subwoofers installed in trunk Not a custom install just a standard box
Bee stinger leak fixed with delta faucet bushing, looks completely stock, no leak.
Black out kidneys
Front vapor barriors
There's probably more that I can't think of, please ask if curious, but I think I've hit the majority of the things that most people complain about on e46s

Things that could stand to be done:
5th gear bushing. Not super annoying unless it's very cold out, warms up quickly shifts fine after
ding in top of trunk
bumpers are stock and getting old. An mtech kit would do wonders for the car.
Roundel has finally peeled. I will take care of it before sale.

Currently car has 150k on it, and frankly is going strong. I just feel it's time for a change. Come for a spin in my car vs GFs 3 year newer 325 and you'll see this thing has still got "it"

Pic from last summer:

The car isn't perfect it's 13 years old 07/98 build date (one of oldest on e46f at least in the US I believe, bumpers are aging, have a few scuffs here and there, the main body and paint are in good condition very few dings, scratches, one in trunk as mentioned.

I think the car is worth somewhere around 5k. If I'm off my rocker, well maybe I'll just keep it. But if someone is looking for a cheaper, well sorted e46 5speed, this could be it. Ask any questions you like about car will be happy to answer. I have learned a massive amount about cars and the e46 in general from hard knocks on this car. I have NEVER EVER overheated it, never seen needle move past 12 o'clock. I have always examined leaks as soon as I see them, and have been towed home once even though I could have driven rather than risk overheat. Engine still pulls well. NO CELs.
No software mods.
100% daily driver ready.

To anyone that's come this far: Do you think that's about fair? I feel it's worth at least this much, perhaps that's because of time invested as well as significant $ on parts & tools over the years.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Alexotronic

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
5k sounds great for something so well maintained. Smart mods too. GLWS
Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
k3m0-330i-e90

My Ride: e90 335i,e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to k3m0-330i-e90
only if u wherent so far i need a new daily driver!
2002 Taig / Red / / / M3 - SOLD
2000 328i e46 - sold
1993 325i e36 - sold
2006 330i e90 - sold
k3m0-330i-e90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Brinkley

thanks for the positive responses guys. It's good to know she's still got it. I've had a few pm's with a couple questions so let me save time by posting here:

5k is the minimum I think I'd take for it. I really should have put "feeler" in the the thread title. Any lower than that and I get into my internal debate about how far I've come with the car and I don't think I'd go for it. I know that my car isn't "excellent condition" but certainly isn't in poor condition, and given the upgrades/repairs done, I think this is pretty fair. People still ask me "is that your car?" Also, I am wanting to sell to move to something else, but I am fine with still holding onto her as always.

About issues mentioned: the 5th gear bushing is a fairly common issue on manual e46s, there is a bushing in the selector of the transmission that gets worn out over time and causes the shifter to "lean" towards the pass. side of the car on a cold day ONLY while the car is warming up. It's an inexpensive part but should have been done when trans was out of car, I was not the mechanic I am now when that happened. Car is totally drivable with the issue, it's a slight annoyance that generally I don't even notice.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Brinkley

To all that are asking: No, the 5th gear bushing is not the 5th gear synchro. Do a search for "5th gear bushing" it's a common little bug not a bad trans.

To all that are willing to meet my asking price: Wow, didn't expect so many people! Having a little internal debate...do I really want to sell her, I've done so much and come so far.

Will update with my decision soon.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Fissionx

My Ride: 996 C2, ex: e46 m3
I guess you're keeping it?
Fissionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
kirill1221

My Ride: 05 TL Base 6spd
If I was in your shoes, that internal debate would have been, "Do I want to have 5k in my pocket or a well maintained AW e46 sedan in my driveway?"

I would keep the car because it doesn't really seem like you really want to part with it based on what you have said. If I am not mistaken, this is the last of the non "drive by wire" e46.

Do what YOU think is right but make sure you don't regret it.
kirill1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
Fissionx

My Ride: 996 C2, ex: e46 m3
I had this debate with my e30 318i. I loved the car but just wasn't worth it to keep in my driveway for me to enjoy once a week. Rather have someone own it who would drive it, even tho the $2k in my pocket made no real difference.

I am in the market for a DD, would love to replace my white on black 4 door e30 with another e46. $5k is fair but I'd also rather spend $7k for a 330i with some suspension upgrades.

Make a decision soon and stick with it. If it helps; write down pros and cons of selling on a piece of paper then evaluate objectively.

-Dan
Fissionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Nice car for sure