E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
matthias2280

My Ride: 2005 m3 coupe
Slight hesitation / stumble coming off idle

I have a slight hesitation / stumble only when coming off idle. The car runs smooth all the way through the rpm range, its just when I'm taking off from a stop. Its very slight...Just a little burp when I give it gas. I've changed the plugs, cleaned the ICV, switched from K&N CAI back to stock airbox and have been told by an Indi shop that a valve adjustment is not yet necessary. Any ideas would be appreciated. The little hesitation is kind of annoying, I would expect an M3 to rev to life without any stumbling.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks dudes and dudettes... :-)
VMR VB3 | Hankook V12 | Hotchkis Sways | ST Coils
/// Deutschland \\\
matthias2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
is your car an SMG? If it is, I've heard it's normal to studder from a stand still, my SMG does that from time to time

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
If its SMG then just do an SMG reset.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
My manual does the same, and its annoying coming out my my parking garage cause the stumble causes the car almost to stall and roll backwards.

There's a thread on M3Forum about a slight stumble at low speed which may be related: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=406142

I have cleaned my MAF and my guibo looks brand new.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
FM3T10

My Ride: E46
Vanos seals.

/close thread.

But seriously, it sound's like the problem I'm having, and my problem is linked to the vanos seals common problem. It sucks especially when in reverse, or stop and go traffic. Not sure if it affects M3's, but definitely something you should look into.

Here's a link with a lot of info: http://www.beisansystems.com/

Last edited by FM3T10; 05-04-2012 at 04:38 PM.
FM3T10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
matthias2280

Thanks everyone. I have a manual and the stumble is def. in the engine. Vanos seals cause momentary hesitation ?? I will have to research that one for sure...
/// Deutschland \\\
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
matthias2280

Hey man. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. My hesitation is 100% engine related. It hasn't gotten so bad where the car almost stalls, but it noticeable (and audible) when I come off idle. Its like there is a 1/4 - 1/5 second pause in engine performance. My car is going ionto the shop sometime soon so I will have them check it out there.

What kind of symptoms does a bad guibo express ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
My manual does the same, and its annoying coming out my my parking garage cause the stumble causes the car almost to stall and roll backwards.

There's a thread on M3Forum about a slight stumble at low speed which may be related: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=406142

I have cleaned my MAF and my guibo looks brand new.
/// Deutschland \\\
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias2280 View Post
Hey man. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. My hesitation is 100% engine related. It hasn't gotten so bad where the car almost stalls, but it noticeable (and audible) when I come off idle. Its like there is a 1/4 - 1/5 second pause in engine performance. My car is going ionto the shop sometime soon so I will have them check it out there.
If you find a solution please post, mine suffers a very similar fate.

Quote:
What kind of symptoms does a bad guibo express ??
Drivetrain slop. A bad center bearing on the driveshaft can have the same affect.

Are you sure the idle is dropping and its not just the drivetrain taking a moment to engage? If the idle doesn't drop, likely its drivetrain slop caused by the guibo and/or CSB.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
FM3T10

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I have a manual and the stumble is def. in the engine. Vanos seals cause momentary hesitation ?? I will have to research that one for sure...
Yes, vanos seal failure can cause a hesitation/stall. Does your idle jolt down for a few seconds?

Did you even bother reading the link? :lol:
Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
whats your mileage, if it around 60K+ just do a inspection II + vanos maintenance.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
matthias2280

Yeah man, I read the link. I dont know if my hesitation is related to this however. My power is smooth all the way through the rpm range. Maybe its just me being overly sensitive to the way the car drives. Its a sports car, not a Cadillac right ??
I will get a Inspection II and Vanos maintenance done in a few thousand miles. We will see what that does to the way it drives.

Just to let everyone know, the car drives perfectly. I love the way this vehicle sounds, handles feels, all of it. When I ask these kinds of questions in the forums I am looking for how to fix it obviously, but I am also looking for any feedback that would let me know I am damaging my car permanently. I have read several posts where people are complaining about random knocks or pings or whatever, and forum members have told them to check rod bearings or cam bearing, and low and behold the early warning saved their engines from further damage. I appreciate everyone chiming in. If I find out what fixes this annoyance I will be sure to post it to these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM3T10 View Post
Yes, vanos seal failure can cause a hesitation/stall. Does your idle jolt down for a few seconds?

Did you even bother reading the link? :lol:
/// Deutschland \\\
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
FM3T10

I'm the same way as far as making sure everything is in perfect working order, and over cautious. If possible, upload a video so we can better see what your problem is. You may be right, it may not be the vanos problem, I'm just trying to help out.

A lot of us don't hesitate to help out, at least I don't.

Question, when your car's warming up at idle, does your idle jolt down for like a quick second and then almost instantly return to normal?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
I have this same problem when my car starts up cold. It isn't consistent though. Just so you know I had my Vanos and all the seals replaced, but it will still hesitate when cold.. especially while backing up. I just always thought it was because I have a stage 2 feramic clutch and it's just trying to catch. I know the type of hesitation you are talking about though. Does it happen every time you're in lower gears at lower speeds? My hesitation disappears after the car is warm. It could just be normal...
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
FM3T10

I hope the hesitation some of you are referring to isn't the one felt when accelerating with the clutch engaged to far without enough gas.

Keep us updated on what you figure out OP.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Rockyminator

Quote:
I hope the hesitation some of you are referring to isn't the one felt when accelerating with the clutch engaged to far without enough gas.

Keep us updated on what you figure out OP.
Lmao. No it's not the car dying due to lack of gas or clutch. It's a slight dip in the rpm then pops back up again. But like I said, only happens to me briefly when car is cold.

Last edited by Rockyminator; 05-04-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Rockyminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
FM3T10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
Lmao. No it's not the car dying due to lack of gas or clutch. It's a slight dip in the rpm then pops back up again. But like I said, only happens to me briefly when car is cold.
That's strange considering the fact that you did the vanos repair.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #17
Rockyminator

Quote:
That's strange considering the fact that you did the vanos repair.
Yup. Kind of strange. Doesn't really bother me though because it doesn't happen too often... Keep us updated on what you find OP.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #18
silvrXI

My Ride: E46(x2)&E36/7M&YZFR6
grrr

Last edited by silvrXI; 06-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.
silvrXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #19
Alcyon

My Ride: M3
How old is your flex disc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flex_disc_old_new.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	451209  
Alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
matthias2280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyon View Post
How old is your flex disc?
First off, sorry for starting this thread and then abandoning it for a week...I was traveling for work. I hate traveling for work, but that's a different story...

Holy chewed up GUIBO. I wedged myself under my car the other day and verified that my guibo DOES NOT look like that. Its actually in pretty good shape. I am going to upload a video, not for the hesitation, but for a ticking sound that my engine is making. I figure once I get it running quietly and it STILL hesitating, I can start digging deeper, but lets start with the things we can hear first... I'm gonna run to Lowes to get some fertilizer (trying to grow some grass rather than cultivate a dandelion patch). Once the ///M is warmed up I will grab a short video. Stay tuned and thanks everyone
/// Deutschland \\\