E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
mcabr
Just Marinatin'

My Ride: Chikatetsu
Multifunction DIY

Anyone have a permanent host for one file that is about 470KB big? I want to help people out in the community with the DIY for the multifunction retrofit. I get about 6 or 7 emails monthly for this. I am tired of having to follow up with emails and people that ask me to email them the instructions and then the email comes back to me. So if this could be hosted on the board that would be so much easier.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
I dont know but I am almost about ready to post a DIY wiring harness for the non-multifunction to multifunction steering wheel as well
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
mcabr
Just Marinatin'

My Ride: Chikatetsu
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
I dont know but I am almost about ready to post a DIY wiring harness for the non-multifunction to multifunction steering wheel as well
That woudl be good. I have the PDF files that show all the instructions to do this. Its not that I don't want to help people out its just that it would be so much easier if it were permanently on this website so people didn't have to contact me for it. The instructions really just tell you how to do it but there is a substitute for the wiring harness.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
Ivegotissues666

Lets see how long this link lasts (Probably a day or Less):

Multifunction Steering Wheel Retrofit PDF

If it doesnt last I will store it somewhere else
Old 12-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcabr
Anyone have a permanent host for one file that is about 470KB big? I want to help people out in the community with the DIY for the multifunction retrofit. I get about 6 or 7 emails monthly for this. I am tired of having to follow up with emails and people that ask me to email them the instructions and then the email comes back to me. So if this could be hosted on the board that would be so much easier.
Hi,

I'm hosting a DIY for Technic for the NAV retrofit on my server and badged it all under a DIY page for Tourings and all E46s.

Check out: http://stradasystems.com/bmw/

If that home suits you, and you can definitely deep-link, then send me the file.

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
shd

My Ride: classified
http://shd.mp3.org.by/3543en.pdf

will host it there for looong time

BTW, it works for '99 too. I had posted somewhere link to old version of this document.
shd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
mavic1010

My Ride: 325iT
Does anyone have the P/N for the retrofit wiring harness?
mavic1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:34 AM   #8
Ivegotissues666

just make your own harness i think the bmw one goes for clkose to $100 or more but I could be mistaken. Anyways in the pdf posted above I think it lists the part # for the harness
Old 12-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #9
mavic1010

My Ride: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
just make your own harness i think the bmw one goes for clkose to $100 or more but I could be mistaken. Anyways in the pdf posted above I think it lists the part # for the harness
The part # in the pdf is for the entire retrofit kit (including steering wheel). Went to the dealer to find that wiring harness and he couldn't find it. Basically said he'd have to order the entire kit to see the p/n for the harness.
mavic1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #10
Ivegotissues666

Well in order to make your own harness looking at the 2 step in the pdf that shows the MFL/GRA Wiring diagram all you need to make is three wires

A1 - A6
A2 - A5
A3 - A4

All you need is some wires in about 3 feet in length for

A2 - A5 and
A3 - A4 and for A1 - A6 I would make it at least 4 feet maybe a little bit longer because it has to reach to the DME/ECU through the firewall.

For the socket contacts just go back to BMW or order them I forget the part number but you can't just buy the socket contacts themselves you need to buy the actually little wire thing whatever it's called. If you already have the multifunction steering wheel you can see underneath it what I'm talking about. I will post a picture later. The part only goes for about $10 - $15
and all you need from that wire set is 4 socket contacts.

Don't worry about A4 and A5 you dont need to use the connectors it shows in the diagram. Instead when you get to A4 and A5 and have to cut the wires in the LCM wiring harness just use butt connecters they worked fine for me.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:09 AM   #11
guest1017
Banned

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to guest1017
http://www.nynx.net/phil/3543en.pdf
guest1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 04:57 PM   #12
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
http://www.ocinek.com/3543en.pdf

Let me know if you need anything else hosted... I have 5.5TB of transfer per month so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:37 PM   #13
Ivegotissues666

Wow 4 links to the retrofit now!! Anyways the part I was refering to above to use the pin socket contacts from for making your own wiring harness: The part #'s are as follows:

or

you can use either one all you need are 4 socket pins and both parts come with 8 so pick the cheapest one.

Such a Great Link BMW ETK Online
Old 01-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
Venkie

My Ride: BMW
Red face

First post, so don't butcher me..

I tried searching for the Multifunction retrofit for a 328ci '99, but couldn't find it anywhere. It all seems to be for car's from 6/'00 on. This car doesn't have the "new" 3-spoke sport-steeringwheel with the one split spoke, but the old 3-spoke sport-steeringwheel. So, the question is, is it possible to retrofit the multifunction on this one?
Venkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:20 AM   #15
shd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkie
First post, so don't butcher me..

I tried searching for the Multifunction retrofit for a 328ci '99, but couldn't find it anywhere. It all seems to be for car's from 6/'00 on. This car doesn't have the "new" 3-spoke sport-steeringwheel with the one split spoke, but the old 3-spoke sport-steeringwheel. So, the question is, is it possible to retrofit the multifunction on this one?
Yep, I retrofitted m3 steering wheel on such a car. Basically it's just about connecting 3 wires. I have old version of that pdf, which mentions '99 models. Can't put it online now though, but I can email it tou you - PM me your email.

Last edited by shd; 01-18-2005 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #16
gms

My Ride: E46 convertible
this is a great post,
my local dealer told me it was imposible to do because it is not possible on a 316i, anyone know about this

I also have the old 3 spoke steering wheel and i know there is a multifuntional version of the wheel

Last edited by gms; 01-19-2005 at 09:23 AM.
gms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #17
shd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gms
this is a great post,
my local dealer told me it was imposible to do because it is not possible on a 316i, anyone know about this

I also have the old 3 spoke steering wheel and i know there is a multifuntional version of the wheel
Per pdf file "bmw 3 series coupe, touring, saloon, covertible and comptact from start of the series also for all E46 4-cylinder models with new generation engine N42, LHD/RHD". So if you have such engine then it's possible.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
gms

My Ride: E46 convertible
I entered my chasis number in http://www.realoem.com/bmw
and it says that i have the M43 engine, so the dealer was probably right
gms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:28 PM   #19
freshslo

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gms
I entered my chasis number in http://www.realoem.com/bmw
and it says that i have the M43 engine, so the dealer was probably right
I have M43 engine and i install multifunction steering wheel, tempomat doesn't work, audio function work
freshslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #20
Carlo

My Ride: E46
Hi Guy's

Reviving this thread with a question.

So I did the MF DIY also,ordered the wiring harness and everything went great +all functions work nicely exept now my airbag light is on.

Does the computer has to be reset to make it go away?
Already made an appointment for programming the OBC (did that one as well => steering wheel was of anyway) so they can do this at the same time.
But if this is not the case,I'll have to search for what I did wrong or broke.

@freshslo : on a petrol engine you need an additional actuator to regulate the gasvalve,I just needed to plug in a wire in the main wiring harness and voila (diesel engine )

Thx C