E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
diablorojo

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Irradic fuel pressure, thought!?

I need thoughts, leaving no rock unturned with this one....

PROBLEM: priming the fuel pump shows 42psi....then quickly bleeds off (not holding pressure)

Running pressure fluctuates violently between 38-46psi with random spikes of 49ish psi....

The car now idles pretty constant roughly 900rpm, occasional small changes all within 900-1000rpms...so pretty normal

But...giving gas it's slow to respond and dies when the rpm's drop

Only engine code is p1085.

Seems to be little change in disconnecting the vacuum line from the FPR. The line comes directly off the TS to the FPR. No t-ing or splitting.

I have a slight exhaust leak at the header and block section 1
And an exhaust leak post cat after hitting it hard one day (bad weld)
It also sounds like I blew the guts out the small ebay muffler
There was what felt like gargling, but I did best I could to tighten the header and it reduced drasticly.

At one time it reved great but didn't idle, now it's the reverse after hunting the idle issues. I am now sure it's a fuel issue (unless exhaust leaks could cause such a drastic effect)

ATTEPTED SOLUTIONS:

Swapped out the fuel pump
Checked and fixed one leaky injector
Swapped fuel rail
Replaced fuel filter and built in FPR
Rebuilt vanos (though I think I hear rattling once in a blue)

I have no gas leaks, I eyeballed the system and inspected the garage floor.
Is it possible to have air in your fuel line?

I am at a loss with this one...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
diablorojo

Continued to research...going to get a check valve and place it at the fuel pump sender hose. Then I can rule out the fuel pump not holding pressure. Wouldn't expect this to work because I tried two different fuel pumps, though on did hold pressure slightly longer than the other...
Old 04-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
diablorojo

Ok...progress...

I went to bmw and the don't stock the valve. not even available at the universal car stores. I had to order one from eBay.

I turned the key to prime the pump and quickly placed a pair of vice grips on the fuel line. this slow down the fuel leak drastically. I can now safely surmise the leak is at the pump. Hopefully the flow valve will solve this problem.