E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
AgentJBOND

My Ride: '01 M3
M3 won't crank... sometimes...

So for the past few months, it seems that on especially cold days, my 2001 M3 convertible sometimes needed the key turned a few times (2-6) before she would crank. Whenever she would crank, 9 times out of 10 she would start immediately. 1 time out of 10, she would crank for 5 seconds, then I would turn the key to off; I would try again immediately and it would start immediately.

This morning, in the garage, I experienced this problem... except I could not get it to crank after about 15 times of trying over the course of ~5 minutes.

Video of the problem:
The first minute is me being frustrated, then at 1:07 I tell you that there is some sound happening when I turn the key to start position; then at 1:25 I hilariously imitate the sound by singing. Enjoy.

This thread makes me think I should remove and clean (or replace) my ignition switch.. but I was hoping anyone with expertise could check out the video and offer their opinion.

Also - if I am looking at cleaning/replacing the ignition switch... will I need to reprogram keys or anything like that?
AgentJBOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
jcns

My Ride: California
just confirming that you have checked the battery voltage.
If your battery is going, cold weather can exacerbate the problem.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
lamonster56

Hey guy! I've got the same problem as you. My car is in the shop & has been for about 3 weeks now. He's not coming up with any fault codes and is trying to track it down. I'll keep you posted if I find anything out. Sorry I couldn't help.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
lamonster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
lamonster56

Jcns- my car started doing this during the warm weather (miss). Its almost like its a key battery problem but my key was still communicating with the car.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
AgentJBOND

Thanks for the replies! When I bought the car in May, it interestingly came with 3 keys... I ordered a backup key (the little gray one) - and using the backup key makes no difference.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Here's your TS guide;
First you rule out the battery. (electrical connections)
Then the starter.
Then the ignition switch.
Then the key / imobilizer.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Check voltage at the starter. Info in my No start thread!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
AgentJBOND

Thanks for the guide, and thanks for pointing me to the No start thread. I haven't had time to dive into troubleshooting yet, but here is a new development, in case it could help narrow my search...

This morning, I got in the car to see if I might start. I turned the key, and it didn't crank at first, but after a split-second, it cranked and immediately started. What could that mean?

Fingers crossed it will start in the parking garage today...

For reference: lslszx's No start thread

Last edited by AgentJBOND; 02-12-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
lszlszx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentJBOND View Post
Thanks for the guide, and thanks for pointing me to the No start thread.

This morning, I got in the car to see if I might start. I turned the key, and it didn't crank at first, but after a split-second, it cranked and immediately started. What could that mean?
You are welcome!

Intermittent cold start with no codes points to ignition switch.

Clutch switch and starter are also suspects.
There are many possibilities, that's why I made a thread for it.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
SaveTheSeaTurtles

My Ride: Imola E46 M3
Go under the driver side dash remove the panel. 3 screws and 2 plastic fasteners and make sure your clutch start switch on the clutch lever is centered. If its a little off center the car wont crank.

I just recently had a problem with mine and decided to just do a bypass diy

Last edited by SaveTheSeaTurtles; 02-12-2014 at 05:35 PM.
SaveTheSeaTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
Apexeon

My Ride: 2001 M3
You don't have gas, so even if it started you're not going anywhere.

Joking aside, before you spend a lot of money, look at your clutch pedal. There is a little switch that is IN when clutch is not engaged and prevents, amongst other things your engine from starting. When you engage the clutch, the pedal moves away and a little plunger comes out of the clutch switch and allows your car to start. There's an similar device for your brake pedal, which is easier to diagnose. I believe you'll have to unscrew the cover that hides the steering column (I had to on my E36)

I would start there because it's cheap and won't take you more than 5 minutes to replace. Feel free to rip off the old one.

Alternatively you can test this bypass http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=879399 to see if it is indeed your clutch switch that is failing.

----Edit

What SaveTheSeaTurtles is talking about.

----Edit

Pictures of the clutch switch show it to be different from the plunger-style brake light switch

Last edited by Apexeon; 02-12-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Apexeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
I also bypassed the clutch switch. This was also the cause ofmy owm experience with troubke shooting no crank.

I have a thread detailing the bypass.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=801247

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 02-13-2014 at 09:59 PM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
cpt03

My Ride: El Coche
This happened to me this morning. I held the key in the ignition position for about 30 seconds and the car started up. No prior cranking, etc.

Just a whole lot of nothing like in the video...then after 30 seconds of holding the key in the ignition position the car cranked, and started up normally.

Still haven't figured out exactly what this is just yet.

Last edited by cpt03; 02-14-2014 at 09:07 AM.
cpt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
///mteknikk

My Ride: 02 E46 M3
if your car is an smg, you can have a brake switch problem or gear position selection issue only when its super cold. won't crank car until it can recognize it is neutral. if you have manual, then your ignition switch can be going bad and intermittently losing signal to contacts for starter. but check basics first, battery/terminals/clutch switch
Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mteknikk View Post
if your car is an smg, you can have a brake switch problem or gear position selection issue only when its super cold. won't crank car until it can recognize it is neutral. if you have manual, then your ignition switch can be going bad and intermittently losing signal to contacts for starter. but check basics first, battery/terminals/clutch switch
+1

plus for smgs, hood sensors play havok with starting/alarms(you can just unplug it)

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
///mteknikk

My Ride: 02 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
+1

plus for smgs, hood sensors play havok with starting/alarms(you can just unplug it)
agreed...hood sensors can also cause flashing gear selection on dash.... and intermittently cause vehicles to stay stuck in neutral...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
03-M3-Vert

My Ride: TiAg Convertible M3
Exclamation

Been reading "no-Start" threads for over an hour. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work & Owners Manual is still on the dining room table at home.

Did I mention I just bought it Friday ...

My history, '03 SMG, 43K miles, PPI ..., no previous signs of trouble, everything working as described until lunch. I jump in, not "noticing" the pump sound, but cannot say for sure (parking lot is noisy), turn key to "on" step on brake pedal, move shifter to neutral ..., turn key to "start" and ..., NADA. I get some relay clicking sounds over my left shoulder that I haven't really identified before (probably because the car started).

Question ..., does the service engine soon light normally stay illuminated until the car starts ..., or now is on because the car did NOT start? I get all the regular warning lights and after a bit of time most go out, but I never noticed that one before.

My tool kit's been picked clean, so I'll have to ask around to see if I can unhook the battery to "reset" anything that might be hung up ..., and no screw driver found yet to open the relay / fuse box under the hood to give the relay a little "tap".

I gave the hood sensor and good wiggle, plunged a couple of times ..., connector was plugged in tight. Check. no change

Tried turning key on / off repeatedly over several minutes, read some more threads ..., try again, still nothing ..., read some more threads ..., probably near 20-times over a good 30-35 minute period. NADA

I opened up the trunk and made sure battery connections were clean and tight. Check. NADA

Temperatures have been up and down here in N. FL, but nothing too extreme.

Did I mention I just bought it Friday, as a birthday present to myself ... I'm going to love explaining this one to my wife?

"Happy Freaking Birthday ...!"

Last edited by 03-M3-Vert; 02-17-2014 at 02:01 PM.
03-M3-Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
lszlszx

What's the battery voltage?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #19
03-M3-Vert

My Ride: TiAg Convertible M3
When I get out of work, I'm going to try the jump starting it ..., if successful, straight home to check battery and go from there. Stranded is no fun ...

Thanks ...
03-M3-Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #20
lamonster56

O3-M3-Vert I know this won't help you out much but for the standard trans guys you can pop the clutch and it should start up. I will be checking with my mechanic tomorrow and see if he's made any progress. Its been in the shop for a month now