E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
How protective are you of your car in parking lots?

How protective are you of your car in parking lots? I know I'm a nutcase when it comes to keeping the car out of harm's way. My ex, family, friends, all think I'm nuts. Just wondering if any of you guys do the same thing.

-When I park in a lot with shopping carts everywhere (Walmart Supercenter is the worst), I move every single cart near my car out of the way.

-When I park in a lot, I always aim for an end spot and edge to the curb as much as possible.

-In my driveway, I park as close to the garage door as possible, so when people walk by, they don't scratch the car.

-After eating at a restaurant with my friends, I make them wash their hands before entering the car.

-I try to avoid parking lots where there are no stoppers in the spaces. I've seen these huge trucks that park way past the line and hit the car in front of them. It's retarded.

-When I go into a restaurant or something, I always try to get a seat near the window, so I can keep an eye out on the car.

-If I'm sitting in the car, and the people next to me open their door, I give 'em the stare so they'll be cautious about it.

Anymore you guys would care to add to the list?

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
hahahaha EXACTLY me.... minus the washing the hands... you might wanna get that checked out dude.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
kpeng
Banned User

lol, I don't want their wingsauce covered hands all over my door handles.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
tomalexm

My Ride: 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to tomalexm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
How protective are you of your car in parking lots? I know I'm a nutcase when it comes to keeping the car out of harm's way. My ex, family, friends, all think I'm nuts. Just wondering if any of you guys do the same thing.

-When I park in a lot with shopping carts everywhere (Walmart Supercenter is the worst), I move every single cart near my car out of the way.

-When I park in a lot, I always aim for an end spot and edge to the curb as much as possible.

-In my driveway, I park as close to the garage door as possible, so when people walk by, they don't scratch the car.

-After eating at a restaurant with my friends, I make them wash their hands before entering the car.

-I try to avoid parking lots where there are no stoppers in the spaces. I've seen these huge trucks that park way past the line and hit the car in front of them. It's retarded.

-When I go into a restaurant or something, I always try to get a seat near the window, so I can keep an eye out on the car.

-If I'm sitting in the car, and the people next to me open their door, I give 'em the stare so they'll be cautious about it.

-Ken
haha sounds like me, but i wont make them wash hands unless they are like shiney greasy. i do The Stare, and always unlock early so that the lights flash to warn ppl to use caution opening their doors. i also reverse-park in lots because i find that ppl notice that, and are more cautious of a specially parked car. or maybe i am goin loco.
tomalexm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
afshawnt

My Ride: E30 M3
Washing your hands is cool. And only cool people can ride in my car
afshawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
kpeng
Banned User

afshawnt knows what I'm talking about, haha.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
cncmastr
Carbon Fiber Airbox

My Ride: E30 / E46 / E53
Send a message via AIM to cncmastr Send a message via MSN to cncmastr
I do the same plus:

I try to find spots that have a concrete barrier next to it, so one side is protected. And park as close as possible.

I park usually about 1.5 miles away from any mall to avoid having to park next to other cars, which usually works out because by the time you try to find a closer spot, you could have walked from your far away spot to the mall.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
EUROGUN

My Ride: 04 M3
Parking

Dude!! you are exactly like me. That is why I have 3 other cars to drive. Less hassle and more important, peace of mind. I only drive my bimmer when I know where I am parking, special occasions, cruising (no stopping) or family/friends house. In other words, not at all. I learned my lesson after I repaired 3 door dingies. Ouch!!

- 2004 IR M3 - Chris

Performance Mods - Evosport Headers | Motorsport 4.10 Gears | PowerChip ECU Race | Bavarian CF Intake | Streamline Elbow Intake Hose | TMS Pulleys | RE El Diablo Exhaust | RE Rasp S-Pipe Sec 1 | RE X-Pipe Sec 2 w/EVC Valve | Denso Iridium Plugs
EUROGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH Send a message via Skype™ to THATS FRESH
im 10 times worse... i dont remember the last someone parked next to me.

i dont mind walking a couple hundred yards from my car which is parked by the only tree in the lot with my sunshade up.

to the movies or a crowded lot.. my car sits in the garage=)
Old 08-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
I'm the same. Another technique that I use is:

- When parking in a parking lot, I always park with the drivers side closer to the lines than the passengers side.

Why?

More often than not it's just one person in the car, the driver. Well their drivers side is the passenger side of my car. Therefore I'm leaving them with more room to open their door and lessens the chance of them hitting my car.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #11
DarXide

My Ride: Slammed on F2's
Send a message via AIM to DarXide Send a message via MSN to DarXide
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr
I do the same plus:

I try to find spots that have a concrete barrier next to it, so one side is protected. And park as close as possible.

I park usually about 1.5 miles away from any mall to avoid having to park next to other cars, which usually works out because by the time you try to find a closer spot, you could have walked from your far away spot to the mall.
1.5 miles away form the mall?????
Damn..
Old 08-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
325xiVan

My Ride: 03 M3 Cabrio
Oh boy, it's my first post!

I don't park anywhere near a tree or beneath power lines. Trees release pollen, sap, needles (acidic) and other crud that can dry on the paint. Pigeons also tend to pick trees with cars parked beneath them to take $hit.

I learned this lesson when I started a new job a while back. On my first day, I got a primo parking spot, close to the front-door. I couldn't understand why this spot was free until I came back at the end of the day with bird crap and pollen all over my car.

Cheers.
325xiVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
shad
Banned

My Ride: IMAC G5
Send a message via AIM to shad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng

-Ken
ROFL!! eaxctly how i act with my car to the tee!
shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #14
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
I almost died worrying about my friends ///M in the school parking lot today, and it's not even my car!

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #15
qooldude

My Ride: 328i, M3 & Cayenne S
Absolutely NO drinks or food inside the car. Sucks when I want some drive-thru.

Also, dust off excess dirt on shoes before climbing in.
qooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #16
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qooldude

nice to see I'm not so anal after all, haha.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #17
russ330
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by qooldude

Oh, that reminds me. I've got two trash bags in the trunk of the car. I keep them there so that when my boots are muddy from work I can put my feet in them preventing me from tracking any dirt inside the car or get any mud on the pedals.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #18
OtisBMW

My Ride: E46 323ci/G35
After having all my door dings fixed, I haven't parked my car anywhere besides my garage haha.
OtisBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #19
Dr_John

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
I'm the same. Another technique that I use is:

- When parking in a parking lot, I always park with the drivers side closer to the lines than the passengers side.

Why?

More often than not it's just one person in the car, the driver. Well their drivers side is the passenger side of my car. Therefore I'm leaving them with more room to open their door and lessens the chance of them hitting my car.
On the other hand, when there is a passenger, it's probably a kid who can't handle swinging open the door of a big ass coupe. I've actually seen this hapen more than from another driver.

Last edited by Dr_John; 08-08-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Dr_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #20
russ330
Mod Squad

^ My experiences have been the exact opposite. At any rate I still have more damage on the passenger side door than my drivers side door; one ever so slight dimple on the passenger side door (I can't really see it, just feel it... I know it's there though. ) along with some paint rubbing from other cars vs. nothing of note on the drivers side.