E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Airbag light and removal of airbag itself

I either have a broken metal clip or something but I can't get my airbag off.. I've done it over 10 times so me not doing it correctly is not the issue.. Some plastic part broke in there but doubt that has something to do with it not comming out.. But since the first time it came out the fit has been awfull and haven't been able to get it in with the sleek stock look and in turn my airbag light has Been on for 2 months .. Could I try taking the air bag out with the battery still connected because the light is on and it won't deploy? .. Anyone have issues with airbag not seating itself correctly on assembly? Round bag if it helps.. I just need to get it off then I'll have a indy pop it in correctly

Sorry for the lack of light

Cliffs:
Can I work on airbag removal with battery connected even with airbag light on? Any one have experience with airbag not seating correctly like in the picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1329184358.918898.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	436953  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
wrong place for this thread
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Steven747

general would be the ideal place for this but the threads that go on there are childish. thought id get much better opinions in here.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
xixixi
Banned User

I'm not sure which part of your engine/drive line needs servicing based on the information above. Sounds like an electrical problem. Furthermore, if you never crash. None of the above is needed.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I'm not sure which part of your engine/drive line needs servicing based on the information above. Sounds like an electrical problem. Furthermore, if you never crash. None of the above is needed.
ok understood but could you play along with me and help me out here. i don't want my thread washed into oblivion with all the general section threads which seems to happen quite frequently i just know this forum and know where to post to get my questions answered even if its the wrong section. ill ask a mod to move but do you have any thoughts in the mean time?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
ok understood but could you play along with me and help me out here. i don't want my thread washed into oblivion with all the general section threads which seems to happen quite frequently i just know this forum and know where to post to get my questions answered even if its the wrong section. ill ask a mod to move but do you have any thoughts in the mean time?
Mod the driver and your drive train won't suffer, not to mention you won't need the airbag. EDIT: FFS man, it's about as obvious as a fire truck! INSTALL ERROR! Where IDK, I didn't install it wrong! to general with this mentally challenged thread.

Last edited by xixixi; 02-13-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Steven747

Quote:
Mod the driver and your drive train won't suffer, not to mention you won't need the airbag. EDIT: FFS man, it's about as obvious as a fire truck! INSTALL ERROR! Where IDK, I didn't install it wrong! to general with this mentally challenged thread.
read the op.. :face palm: i asked a question and you are blabbering. just looking for the answer and please stop shitting on this thread

anyone else have a good idea to remove the stuck airbag?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
there is often a "disconnect" under the steering column, where you can unplug the airbag before messing with it.

but otherwise, I wouldn't personally want to be messing with something that can explode while it's possibly connected to power.

An alternative would be to remove the airbag and turn off the light..
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
there is often a "disconnect" under the steering column, where you can unplug the airbag before messing with it.

but otherwise, I wouldn't personally want to be messing with something that can explode while it's possibly connected to power.

An alternative would be to remove the airbag and turn off the light..
right but the thing is that the airbag is stuck in because of a broken clip or something.. good point on it could potentially blow out while working on it but maybe it won't because the light is on i just don't know
Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
hassmaschine

it's not that big of a deal to disconnect the battery. you'll have to reset your clocks, but that's about it. just undo the ground.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
xixixi
Banned User

What you do is, take off your cluster. Get a pair of needle nose pliers, rip out the led behind the airbag symbol. That only fixes the light...
Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
hassmaschine

needle nose pliers? lol. I hope you're being sarcastic

you can also turn it off by reprogramming the cluster with NCSexpert..
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
xixixi
Banned User

Hemos work just as good.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Steven747

resetting clock and service interval take too long like 5 minuets lol but I'm just curious if i can start hacking away on the clips with it connected.

but more importantly has anyone had a problem with the airbag not seating correctly which is my real issue not getting it out
Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
Steven747

anyone have experience with airbag not seating properly?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #16
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
anyone have experience with airbag not seating properly?
You seem to be the best example. Did you take any pictures during the tear out? I don't know how you fvcked, it up. Without pictures! Again, user error, wrong place for thread, fail fail
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Steven747

Quote:
You seem to be the best example. Did you take any pictures during the tear out? I don't know how you fvcked, it up. Without pictures! Again, user error, wrong place for thread, fail fail
i have tried reinstalling it starting with different sides first and it wouldn't work and while trying it like usual a side went in then the other side actually got stuck in..
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
i have tried reinstalling it starting with different sides first and it wouldn't work and while trying it like usual a side went in then the other side actually got stuck in..
take pics man, so we know what your talking about. I just can't imagine this airbag being so hard to put in? Mine goes in and out without a hitch? sport wheel?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Steven747

what can i take pics of that will help you understand? i will take some of the gap between the rim and the plastic part of the wheel so you can see like the pic in the op from different angles but thats all i have because even with the perfect set of flatheads i believe the clip on the right side is broken
Old 02-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
Darksideracer

My Ride: 325
I've had problems with the airbag not seating right. For me it just took about 30min of trying to remove it, and then re seat it. Not sure what broke when you did it, but it probably doesn't have anything to do with it not seating right.

Always disconnect the battery, cheap insurance for your face.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App
Darksideracer is offline   Reply With Quote