E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
mike98151986

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Lightbulb 2000 bmw 323i fault code: p0740.. HELP!

Just over 30 days ago I purchased a 2000 BMW 323i. My "Service Engine Soon" light came on. We the computer diagnostic check and we got code: "P0740"-"Torque Converter Solenoid". I have a general idea of what can be done, I was told service the tranny and clear the code and over time I will eventually need to replace the tranny. I was also told a bunch of other things as well.

Has anyone dealt with this before or does anyone know how to approach this.

Thank you!!
mike98151986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
you can try to drop the valve body and replace the solenoid.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Yeah I'm currently researching this code right now!

My car has it and it won't clear. It appeared with these two other codes:

30 (048) Torque Convertor Clutch - Too Much Slip - aka P0740

31 (049) Symptom Gear Check - loosely related somehow to p0732

01 (001) Terminal 30 Defective - have no clue what this is.

So far I've discovered 99% of the time cars with this p0740 code are still drivable with absolutely no trouble or signs of trouble from the tranny. Some who ignore the code and SES lamp claim to have driven their cars for years and over 30,000 to 60,000 miles and beyond with the code/SES lamp lit up and had no trouble at all.

Those that ignore the code realize the Torque Converter/Tranny replacement can cost from $1000 to upwards of $7,000 so decide to just wait until the Tranny conks out completely before deciding whether to keep the car and fix it, ditch it all together.

Most people who cleared the code have found that it turns out to be the TURBINE SHAFT O-RING P/N 24121422247 PRICED AT $1.59 (which is replaced with the Shaft seal P/N 24121423529 PRICED $26.13 ) in the tranny spine that wears out causing it to slip.

The seals are cheap but going from the REALOEM picture below the entire tranny must be dropped and removed from the car to access the spine and replace the seals (realoem pic# 1,2 and 3) so you can expect a pricey labor fee.

That said, replacing these seals have been documented to clear the p0740 codes.

Other people have said it was replacing a broken/worn soleniod part which related to the no-reverse issue. Doing this cleared the p0740 code.

Some say just replacing the old fluid/filter on high mileage cars have cleared the code.

A few have just done a full tranny swap to clear the code.

Finally back in 2005 someone mentioned a software update that fixes and clears any SES transmission code to work. Not much was ever said about it. The BMW Dealerships knew little about it. And indy shops charged from $90 to $150 to update the car's software.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 03-10-2012 at 03:06 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
you can try to drop the valve body and replace the solenoid.
The soleniod solution seems to ONLY be related for those that have the REVERSE issue in addition to the p0740 code.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
delmarco

Lots of cool information here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=409201

Also some interesting Service Bulletins on the TCC codes.

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI 24 03 06 dated February 2008.
designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT

ZF 5HP19 Transmission - Diagnosis of EGS FC 048 (30 hex)

MODEL
E46: 323i, 325i, 330i with M52TU, M54, M56 and ZF 5HP19
E39: 525i, 530i with M54 and ZF 5HP19
E85: Z4 roadster 2.5, 3.0 with M54 and ZF 5HP19

SITUATION
"Service Engine Soon" is illuminated and fault code 048 "Converter lock-up excessive slip" (30 hex or P0741) is stored in the EGS transmission control module.

CAUSE
Possible cause: deterioration of the torque converter turbine shaft seal

PROCEDURE
1. Remove the torque converter. For the removal procedure, refer to Repair Manual RA24 40 002. [S2406U01.JPG]

2. Drain the fluid out of the torque converter, and carefully inspect the turbine shaft seal (1) INSIDE THE BOTTOM OF THE TORQUE CONVERTER for signs of damage (cracks, splits, etc.). Helpful Hints:

3. Use a small flashlight to illuminate inside the bottom of the torque converter to examine the turbine shaft seal. The turbine seal is brownish orange in color and measures approximately 1" in diameter. If evidence of seal deterioration is found, replace the torque converter.
Additionally, if the transmission fluid shows signs of deterioration ("dirty fluid"), the fluid should be replaced in conjunction with the fluid strainer. For the strainer replacement procedure, refer to Repair Manual RA24 31 151.

4. Refill and/or top off the fluid level according to Repair Manual RA 00 11 500, using ESSO ATF LT 71141 (P/N 83 22 9 407 807).

5. If after careful inspection it appears that the turbine seal is intact, contact Automatic Transmission Enhanced Technical Support (TeileClearing) for further diagnostic instructions. Submit the "regular technical support" PuMA case, referencing SI B24 03 06 in its title.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Please refer to the latest KSD for the appropriate model applicable labor allowances.

Defect Code 24 40 02 61 00
Labor Operation 24 40 002

Main Work*
Replace torque converter or Labor Operation +24 40 502
Replace torque converter

*Main Work: Use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.

SI B 24 03 06 Automatic Transmission December 2008 Technical Service
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI 24 03 06 dated February 2008.
designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
ZF 5HP19 Transmission - Diagnosis of EGS FC 048 (30 hex)

MODEL
E46 : 323i, 325i, 330i with M52TU, M54 , M56 and ZF 5HP19
E39 : 525i, 530i with M54 and ZF 5HP19
E85 : Z4 roadster 2. 5, 3. 0 with M54 and ZF 5HP19

SITUATION
"Service Engine Soon" is illuminated and fault code 048 "Converter lock-up excessive slip" (30 hex or P0741 ) is stored in the EGS transmission control module.

CAUSE
Possible cause: deterioration of the torque converter turbine shaft seal

PROCEDURE
1. Remove the torque converter. For the removal procedure, refer to Repair Manual RA24 40 002.

2. Drain the fluid out of the torque converter, and carefully inspect the turbine shaft seal (1) INSIDE THE BOTTOM OF THE TORQUE CONVERTER for signs of damage (cracks, splits, etc.) .Helpful Hints:

3. Use a small flashlight to illuminate inside the bottom of the torque converter to examine the turbine shaft seal. The turbine seal is brownish orange in color and measures approximately 1" in diameter. If evidence of seal deterioration is found, replace the torque converter. Additionally, if the transmission fluid shows signs of deterioration ("dirty fluid"), the fluid should be replaced in conjunction with the fluid strainer. For the strainer replacement procedure, refer to Repair Manual RA24 31 151.

5. Refill and/or top off the fluid level according to Repair Manual RA 00 11 500, using ESSO ATF LT 71141 (P /N 83 22 9 407 807).

6. If after careful inspection it appears that the turbine seal is intact, contact Automatic Transmission Enhanced Technical Support (TeileClearing) for further diagnostic instructions. Submit the "regular technical support" PuMA case, referencing SI B24 03 06 in its title.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Please refer to the latest KSD for the appropriate model applicable labor allowances.
Defect Code 24 40 02 61 00
Labor Operation 24 40 002

Main Work*
Replace torque converter or Labor Operation +24 40 502
Replace torque converter

*Main Work: Use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+ ) labor operation code.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
delmarco

Just read this at the fest very informative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooray! View Post

Ok, just had the most informative conversation with a ZF authorized BMW repair facility out there in CA, Dose BMW 619-322-3065, www.dosebmw.com. Steve Dose knows his ZF stuff... bottom line, likely the TC seal is torn, apparently very common on our trannys.

Shaft seal BMW P/N 24121423529 priced $26.13 (pic #2)
TURBINE SHAFT O-RING 24121422247 priced $1.59 (pic #3)

Also, the impact of not repairing it right away is that the torque converter may not lock up at highway speed which in my case means rpm's of 2900 at 80mph vs. 2750 (slightly worse gas mileage). He thought my trans safe mode / alternator event was a coincidence vs. the cause of the code 48. Also said that ESSO is now TrueLife and that Valvoline MaxLife $5 is just as good, he uses TrueLife only becuase using MaxLife (red) can confuse the uninitiated and they can make the mistake of putting in regular ATF. He also clarified the "no flush" theory is bunk, old tranny's used to varnish up which some believe can "hold together" an older transmission. For mine, under 65,000, the fluid is likely fine but if I wanted to flush it, I could (I'm secretly hoping that will eliminate the code 48 by some magical means). Otherwise, his suggestion, new TC, they sell ZF rebuilt ones for $475. He said check on the cheaper $200 units you hear about and make sure they are actually rebuilt by those that know and have the replacement parts to fix them. So my plan is RedLine in the engine, Valvoline MaxLife in the transmission and RedLine in the rear diff. Hope this info helps anybody searching on this issue / code.

I did ask him that and no the TC seal on the new or rebuilt units is exactly the same, meaning we will only get another 40k-120k out of the rebuild! I also asked him about the TC "slippage" and he said that on this design TC, there is always some "slip" as unlike the old tranny's in tucks that locked (clamped) in hard, the clamping force of a locked up TC in this ZF is relatively light. You can tell your TC is locking by driving on a perfectly level patch of road at 80 mph and your rpm will be about 2750. If you depress the gas or go up even a 1% grade, you will feel a "shift" which is actually your TC unlocking and rpms will jump to 2900. Our TC's have this feature in 3rd, 4th and 5th so really we have an "8 speed" transmission. With some paying attention, I can detect the 4th "locked/unlocke" and 5th "locked/unlocked" but not 3rd. Also, the planetary gear noise you hear in 1st geat, and ever so slightly in 2nd gear is a "normal" part of this design.

Regarding burning up ATF, I'm not so sure that the amount of slippage it takes to thow code 48 will do that. In my case, it still locks up (ie 2750 rpms 80mph 5th), so it cant be slipping all that much. The other interesting tid bit on oils is that the original ESSO "lifetime" fluid is man-made but not really a synthetic, this is why the Valvoline MaxLife is the only 2nd substitute in his mind (apparently Valvoline is the only one to indemnify the use of their ATF in a BMW). I want to research the syntheticness of ESSO and MaxLife as I believe RedLine and Royal Purple are full syns...

He also mentioned that some of the bad reverse bell housings made their way into 2002 530i's which sucks. Apparently, all the 323 and 530i wagons with no reverse was due to a ZF supplier that made thousands of bad reverse bell housings... go figure why that is not covered in a recall like this "known" seal issue.

Like I said, Steve seems like a great resource and was very informative as he lives it daily. I wish I was in southern CA where he is because I would bring my car to him to have a new TC put in when I decide to do it. My plan is to do a full 12 qt flush, pan drop/filter with MaxLife (I was leaning RedLine) and see if that helps anything, maybe my tear is really small and some new fluid will provide like new "friction" so the TC locks up a little longer.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
delmarco

Using a PA Soft Scanner I ran the codes again and this time only the P0740 code (Too Much Slip) came up. The other two codes that initially came up with it were gone.

30 (048) Torque Convertor Clutch - Too Much Slip

31 (049) Symptom Gear Check

01 (001) Terminal 30 Defective

I cleared the code about 500 miles ago(60%hwy/40%city). Since I did a lot of driving for two funerals in the last 3 days between upstate NY and Long Island back and forth thru NYC I got to run the full range of driving conditions from fast to slow, city to hwy, cruising to stop-and-go, etc...

Things I've noticed during the weeks of driving around with the orginal P0740 codes present:
1. Actually should be called the things I didn't noticed! With P0740 SES lit up on my dash my MPGs still remained the same. Actually my MPGs were much better since I was driving more careful with my foot lighter on the gas.

2. Highway speeds and cruising performance were great. Usually the P0740 code is felt as erratic shifting and rpm fluctuations by the driver at maintained higher/longer cruising speeds. I did not notice anything.

Things I've noticed since I cleared the code are:
1. Car is driving and shifting better at lower speeds. Before I felt that low speed accelerations and uphill ascents were taking more effort now it seems not to. Could be in my head though.

I'm not sure if the P0740 code will pop back up again but I think part of the reason it stayed cleared may be becauseI did not get the complimentary code p0741 (or other gear codes) with my p0740.

I have a feeling that these two codes often get mix up in the diagnosis of the error read out and usually are taken for the same error when they are different in cause, severity and location of the issue.

I've learned that an ignored p0740 code can possibly lead to a p0741 but the moment a P0740 becomes a P0741 the entire tranny is already shot and goes into safe mode.

People that get the P0741 on its own without the P0740 are also dealing with a different issue regarding their transmission.

Like I said we'll see what happens in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM323

Thank you for the information! I figured the issue was a seal. What is your plan on fixing your transmission? How difficult do you think this would be to fix? I live in SoCal, so I could always go to that guys shop like you mentioned in your thread post.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
BM3R 330

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Using a PA Soft Scanner I ran the codes again and this time only the P0740 code (Too Much Slip) came up. The other two codes that initially came up with it were gone.

30 (048) Torque Convertor Clutch - Too Much Slip

31 (049) Symptom Gear Check

01 (001) Terminal 30 Defective

Things I've noticed since I cleared the code are:
1. Car is driving and shifting better at lower speeds. Before I felt that low speed accelerations and uphill ascents were taking more effort now it seems not to. Could be in my head though.
I have the same first 2 codes too much slip and symptom gear check codes with my scanner. Ive cleared it 3 times already and its come back within a day everytime but the weird thing is I dont really feel the car slipping...ever.
I have noticed the same as stated above that when I clear the codes,the car performs and shifts much smoother and faster but when the ses light comes on it lags and runs poorer.
After looking around online about this problem, it appears the only thing to do is replace the Torque Converter... So im guessing im fckd? I have 97k miles btw

I have a small signature
BM3R 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Ruthlessone3k

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Yeah I'm currently researching this code right now!

My car has it and it won't clear. It appeared with these two other codes:

30 (048) Torque Convertor Clutch - Too Much Slip - aka P0740

31 (049) Symptom Gear Check - loosely related somehow to p0732

01 (001) Terminal 30 Defective - have no clue what this is.

So far I've discovered 99% of the time cars with this p0740 code are still drivable with absolutely no trouble or signs of trouble from the tranny. Some who ignore the code and SES lamp claim to have driven their cars for years and over 30,000 to 60,000 miles and beyond with the code/SES lamp lit up and had no trouble at all.

Those that ignore the code realize the Torque Converter/Tranny replacement can cost from $1000 to upwards of $7,000 so decide to just wait until the Tranny conks out completely before deciding whether to keep the car and fix it, ditch it all together.

Most people who cleared the code have found that it turns out to be the TURBINE SHAFT O-RING P/N 24121422247 PRICED AT $1.59 (which is replaced with the Shaft seal P/N 24121423529 PRICED $26.13 ) in the tranny spine that wears out causing it to slip.

The seals are cheap but going from the REALOEM picture below the entire tranny must be dropped and removed from the car to access the spine and replace the seals (realoem pic# 1,2 and 3) so you can expect a pricey labor fee.

That said, replacing these seals have been documented to clear the p0740 codes.

Other people have said it was replacing a broken/worn soleniod part which related to the no-reverse issue. Doing this cleared the p0740 code.

Some say just replacing the old fluid/filter on high mileage cars have cleared the code.

A few have just done a full tranny swap to clear the code.

Finally back in 2005 someone mentioned a software update that fixes and clears any SES transmission code to work. Not much was ever said about it. The BMW Dealerships knew little about it. And indy shops charged from $90 to $150 to update the car's software.
I am having this same code on my car along with p1770 and occaisonally few others which are probably not related (misfire on cylinders 3 and 5, also a code about MAF performance that does not go to a full code only a pending code). It is a 2000 323i with a GM trans (10/99 build date) and it does have some noticable driving issues. It shifts smooth for the most part, there are occasionally shifts that I notice are a little different than others, but nothing rough or slipping. It does sometimes seem to want to wait to shift. for example if I'm cruising at 2400 rpm at xx mph and not accelerating in 3rd gear (any gear, just using 3rd for an example) it will just stay in 3rd at high rpm instead of shifting to 4th to drop the rpm.

Also after it warms up I sometimes get a faint smell of ATF through the vents when I stop at an intersection or something like that. I checked to make sure it was not just the power steering and I don't think it is, the smell (as faint as it is) is strongest back toward the firewall, leading me to believe it is comming from the trans not the P/S. And it is definitely ATF I'm smelling not oil, I've been around both long enough to tell the difference in the smell.
Ruthlessone3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
delmarco

Update from me:
My Torque Slip code P0740 never came back red-[fault present] and never set off the SES since August/September. Only one time back in November when I scanned I noticed that it was coming up on PA Soft as yellow-[fault currently not present] but the SES was not set off.

I cleared it and it doesn't show up anymore. Since August 2012 I've put about 2,500 miles on the car with about 1,500 being highway conditions of speeds of 60+ where the SES would usually come on for the Torque Slip.

Although the car drives perfectly and the MPGs are normal I still assume that the issue with the Torque Slip is most likely still there and the reason the SES hasn't popped up, or the code came back as red-[fault present], could be weather related or the fact that the only other change since August was that I fixed a leaky rear tire that was always at 20psi compared to the normal 45psi of the pairing rear tire. This issue, of one tire being low on air, usually set off the dsc flashing each time I accelerated or drove on wet pavement.

So I'm not sure if that somehow made the Torque Clutch Slipping worse(?).

Last edited by delmarco; 12-30-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
Faulty trans shift solenoids
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote