E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #81
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Good numbers Hockeyman. Keep at it!
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #82
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
I'm also looking for a variable leg exercise to mix it up. The exercises I currently do are front/back squat, dead lift, weighted lunges, calf raises, exercise bike.
Overhead squat
Zercher squat
KB squat clean
Jump rope
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #83
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Overhead squat
Zercher squat
KB squat clean
Jump rope
Cool thanks I'll look into the Zercher. I wish we had KB's at my apt gym.

I'm looking forward to my Spun gear. Ordered it on the 28th so it should be here very soon for me to test drive. I'll write a review on your thread also.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #84
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
why smaller meals more often? I may be wrong but I think there's a lot of bro science with that one. I like eating 3 huge meals and small snacks.
same here
Quote:
I'm not sure of the exact reason but I've read many articles that say more meals in smaller portions can be better for you. When you eat a large meal, your body can't digest the entire meal therefore storing some as fat. or so I've heard, ppl here may disagree.
Basically I'm never allowing myself to get very hungry, or too full. I'm not sure if this is the best way to gain mass, but that's not really my goal. My goal is to stay at the same weight but increase muscle + strength, decrease body fat. I also try to get protein with every meal.
Quote:
I'd like to see the science behind it. I haven't seen anything though. There are a lot of myths about how much protein and sh1t you can absorb in one sitting.
Myth: Maintain a steady supply of amino acids by eating protein every 2-3 hours. The body can only absorb 30 grams of protein in one sitting.

Truth:
Whenever you hear something really crazy you need to ask yourself if it makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's a great way to quickly determine if something may be valid or if it's more likely a steaming pile of horseshit. This myth is a great example of the latter. Do you think we would be here today if our bodies could only make use of 30 grams of protein per meal?

The simple truth is that more protein just takes a longer time to digest and be utilized. For some concrete numbers, digestion of a standard meal is still incomplete after five hours. Amino acids are still being released into your bloodstream and absorbed into muscles. You are still "anabolic." This is a fairly standard "Average Joe"-meal: 600 kcal, 75 g carbs, 37 g protein and 17 g fat. Best of all? This was after eating pizza, a refined food that should be quickly absorbed relatively speaking.

Think about this for a second. How long do you think a big steak, with double the protein intake of the above example, and a big pile of veggies would last you? More than 10 hours, that's for sure. Meal composition plays an important role in absorption speed, especially when it comes to amino acids. Type of protein, fiber, carbohydrates and prior meals eaten all affect how long you'll have amino acids released and being taken up by tissues after meals.

Origin
I think this "30 grams of protein"-nonsense started to circulate after a classic study from 1997 by Boirie and colleagues. "Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion" was the first study to quantify the absorption rate of whey and casein protein and gave birth to the concept of fast and slow protein. After that, whey protein came to be known for it's ability to rapidly elevate amino acids in the blood stream and casein for it's ability to create a sustained release of amino acids. Whey was anabolic and casein anti-catabolic.

Given that 30 grams of whey protein was absorbed within 3-4 hours, I guess some people believed that meant 30 grams of protein can only be used in one sitting. Or that you had to eat every 3-4 hours to stay "anabolic." Unfortunately, people missed a few facts that made these findings irrelevant to real-world scenarios. First of all, this study looked at the absorption rate of whey protein in the fasted state. On it's own, and with no meals eaten beforehand, 30 grams of whey protein is absorbed within a mere 3-4 hours. With meals eaten earlier in the day, or if you'd consume a whey shake after a meal, absorption would be much slower.

Second of all, whey protein is the fastest protein of all and digests at 10 g/hour. Casein is much slower; in Boirie's study, the casein protein was still being absorbed when they stopped the experiment 7 hours later. Most whole food proteins are absorbed at a rate of 3-6 grams an hour. Add other macronutrients to that and they'll take longer.

More:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/

Last edited by sweetbro858; 09-04-2012 at 03:58 PM.
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #85
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
same here

Myth: Maintain a steady supply of amino acids by eating protein every 2-3 hours. The body can only absorb 30 grams of protein in one sitting.

Truth:
Whenever you hear something really crazy you need to ask yourself if it makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's a great way to quickly determine if something may be valid or if it's more likely a steaming pile of horseshit. This myth is a great example of the latter. Do you think we would be here today if our bodies could only make use of 30 grams of protein per meal?

The simple truth is that more protein just takes a longer time to digest and be utilized. For some concrete numbers, digestion of a standard meal is still incomplete after five hours. Amino acids are still being released into your bloodstream and absorbed into muscles. You are still "anabolic." This is a fairly standard "Average Joe"-meal: 600 kcal, 75 g carbs, 37 g protein and 17 g fat. Best of all? This was after eating pizza, a refined food that should be quickly absorbed relatively speaking.

Think about this for a second. How long do you think a big steak, with double the protein intake of the above example, and a big pile of veggies would last you? More than 10 hours, that's for sure. Meal composition plays an important role in absorption speed, especially when it comes to amino acids. Type of protein, fiber, carbohydrates and prior meals eaten all affect how long you'll have amino acids released and being taken up by tissues after meals.

Origin
I think this "30 grams of protein"-nonsense started to circulate after a classic study from 1997 by Boirie and colleagues. "Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion" was the first study to quantify the absorption rate of whey and casein protein and gave birth to the concept of fast and slow protein. After that, whey protein came to be known for it's ability to rapidly elevate amino acids in the blood stream and casein for it's ability to create a sustained release of amino acids. Whey was anabolic and casein anti-catabolic.

Given that 30 grams of whey protein was absorbed within 3-4 hours, I guess some people believed that meant 30 grams of protein can only be used in one sitting. Or that you had to eat every 3-4 hours to stay "anabolic." Unfortunately, people missed a few facts that made these findings irrelevant to real-world scenarios. First of all, this study looked at the absorption rate of whey protein in the fasted state. On it's own, and with no meals eaten beforehand, 30 grams of whey protein is absorbed within a mere 3-4 hours. With meals eaten earlier in the day, or if you'd consume a whey shake after a meal, absorption would be much slower.

Second of all, whey protein is the fastest protein of all and digests at 10 g/hour. Casein is much slower; in Boirie's study, the casein protein was still being absorbed when they stopped the experiment 7 hours later. Most whole food proteins are absorbed at a rate of 3-6 grams an hour. Add other macronutrients to that and they'll take longer.

More:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/
There's some good points in here, but I have an issue with the author's "common sense" idea regarding evolution.

Evolutionarily, it's ideal to have a high level of bodyfat. Evolutionarily, what we are doing is suicide.

I think his ten hour example is bunk, btw. And he doesn't address the fact that most diets aimed at leanness/size use quicker digesting proteins like eggs and fish. His arguments leave gaping holes for counter arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #86
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
There's some good points in here, but I have an issue with the author's "common sense" idea regarding evolution.

Evolutionarily, it's ideal to have a high level of bodyfat. Evolutionarily, what we are doing is suicide.

I think his ten hour example is bunk, btw. And he doesn't address the fact that most diets aimed at leanness/size use quicker digesting proteins like eggs and fish. His arguments leave gaping holes for counter arguments.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #87
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post

yea I think this evolutionary stance regarding fitness needs to relax. Paleo is big on that but I do it because of the health I get now, not because I think it shaped what we are today. If that's what happened in history great, if not who cares. I feel better now than ever so I'm going to stick with it. I couldn't care less if it's a caveman diet since that kind of doesn't make sense given the changing seasons and different meals in different places. This is what most of the paleo pros state as well. If we think about it, we only need to be evolved long enough to plant our seed so health isn't really the issue after a certain point.

Last edited by DylloS; 09-04-2012 at 09:42 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #88
Hockeyman17

Treadmill 15 mins

Deadlift: 12x95, 8x145, 8x185, 8x205
Form is good. Getting heavy. Nice to be in the 200's again with something at least.

Hang Clean : 8x95, 8x75, 8x75
Form wasn't great so I stepped it down a bit. I need to work on this

Chest Press dumbells: 8x50, 8x60, 8x65

Shoulder Fly? (extend arms at sides dumbells) 8x15, 8x20, 8x20

Tricep Dip 15,12,12
Tricep (machine) 3 sets 12?

Did 30 burpees when I got home because I forgot.

Off from the gym for a week. Have 4 sports in 3 days starting Sunday. Tomorrow is cardio (60min run)

Last edited by Hockeyman17; 09-06-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #89
M3Inline6

Quote:
Treadmill 15 mins

Deadlift: 12x95, 8x145, 8x185, 8x205
Form is good. Getting heavy. Nice to be in the 200's again with something at least.

Hang Clean : 8x95, 8x75, 8x75
Form wasn't great so I stepped it down a bit. I need to work on this

Chest Press dumbells: 8x50, 8x60, 8x65

Shoulder Fly? (extend arms at sides dumbells) 8x15, 8x20, 8x20

Tricep Dip 15,12,12
Tricep (machine) 3 sets 12?

Off from the gym for a week. Have 4 sports in 3 days starting Sunday. Tomorrow is cardio (60min run)

Keep up the good work. Have you ever posted any pics yet?

P.S. I'm working on my hang clean as well. This morning was the first time that I've ever truly worked the hang clean into my workout (..while simultaneously working on the hook grip). I'm only at 95 lbs. comfortably. I need to really focus on form before loading up the weight.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #90
Hockeyman17

I could post pics I guess to track progress. As for hang clean I'll post a video on my form next time if I can ever drag a friend out to the gym. My friends are lazy. It's like a free gym/trainer for them and no one is interested.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #91
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Keep up the good work. Have you ever posted any pics yet?

P.S. I'm working on my hang clean as well. This morning was the first time that I've ever truly worked the hang clean into my workout (..while simultaneously working on the hook grip). I'm only at 95 lbs. comfortably. I need to really focus on form before loading up the weight.
I need to work on the hook grip. From what I've heard it makes the transition to the shoulder so much easier but I really don't have a problem with that now. I think I'm worried my first pull wont be as strong since I'll have less control of the bar. I don't know though.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #92
M3Inline6

Quote:
I could post pics I guess to track progress. As for hang clean I'll post a video on my form next time if I can ever drag a friend out to the gym. My friends are lazy. It's like a free gym/trainer for them and no one is interested.
Do it man. I'm curious to see where you're currently at.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #93
Hockeyman17

Hook grip meaning thumb on same side as fingers I'm guessing?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #94
M3Inline6

Quote:
I need to work on the hook grip. From what I've heard it makes the transition to the shoulder so much easier but I really don't have a problem with that now. I think I'm worried my first pull wont be as strong since I'll have less control of the bar. I don't know though.
It feels weird to me, but if I can master it I'll have an easier time once I start going heavy. My hands aren't that big, so that makes it even more uncomfortable.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #95
DylloS

Quote:
exactly what I go through man. I have a rotation of about 8 people that come and go and 2 consistent people. I feel like I know enough to get people in shape and I offer that and a free awesome garage gym and it's hard to get people. It all comes down to people not caring enough about the workouts. I tell people my workouts are 10x more fun then the nonsense they did in the past. Tonight I basically go one on one vs my friend of a similar build with an 8 minute amrap of 5 115lb front squats and 5 115lb push presses. I will go first and try to kill it so he can't beat me. To me this is awesome. I love the competition of it. I also have two girls I'm friends with coming so I'll tone everything down for them.

Last edited by DylloS; 09-07-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #96
M3Inline6

Quote:
Hook grip meaning thumb on same side as fingers I'm guessing?
Yeah....The index and middle fingers wrap around the thumb rather than the bar itself.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #97
Hockeyman17

Hockey and soccer season started Sunday. Played a full 90 mins at RM then Div 3 hockey right after. Monday night was hockey with the union team I manage, Tuesday was with the Div 3 team again. By Tuesday my quads were soooore.

Yesterday I did an awesome upper body workout. Took just under an hour:

5 min treadmill warmup

Hang Cleans: 10x45, 8x75x2, 8x80 tried the hook grip. I like it

Pull ups: 5x3 I suck more than Dyllos

Chest Press: 10x60, 10x65x2 ;will jump up to 70s next session

Chest fly: 12x15, 12x20, 12x25

Dumbell OH Press: 12x20, 12x25x2

Tricep Dips: 15, 12, 10

Hammer Curl 10 of each arm 20lb, 25, 25

Tricep (Machine) 3 sets (?)

Numbers are slowly improving. I think my legs numbers will start moving up quickly with all of the sports I am playing.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #98
sweetbro858

Hockeyman shows true potential.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #99
sweetbro858

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.
You spelled c0ck wrong.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #100
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
You spelled c0ck wrong.
sometimes I think you're on drugs