E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Building A New Custom 3" Exhaust, Quiet & Powerful !

As always, the quest for more WHP.

Right now I'm running the Magnaflow #16533, I really love this exhaust, but I'm going to try something different. My goal is simple: To have the quietest exhaust possible, but try to make race car like WHP; lofty goals I know.

Here's the plan: I'm going to start by coming off the headers with a Flowmaster #Y214300 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-Y214300/, this uses two 2.25" into a single 3" outlet. This will then go back a few feet using 3" tube to where the stock second resonator would normally sit. At that location it will feed into something like a Magnaflow #11219 http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9311. Directly connected to the end of this 3" muffler/resonator will be a 3" exhaust cutout #SUM-670137 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-670137/, & of course an electric exhaust cutout will be mounted to it #SUM-670150-2 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-670150-2/. On the electric cutout side, I'll probably just come off it a few inches with a 3" tube & have it slightly turn down towards the road surface. On the other side of the cutout, (non electrical side) I'm going to reduce the 3" down to a 2.5" exhaust tube & continue back to the stock muffler location. At that point I'll install a Dynomax 2.5" turbo muffler #17749
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo, this muffer should be fairly quiet but still have reasonable flow.

So when the electric cutout is closed, I think this will provide a reasonably quiet exhaust sound, hopefully just a little louder than stock. If I still think it's not quiet enough, I'll install one of these Car Chemistry #3D125R 2.5" inserts http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCI-3DI25R/.

When I open up the electric cutout, I figure all hell will break loose & it will make Maximum WHP. Time will tell, I of course will give this setup a before & after dyno. Your thoughts ?

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trick Exhaust.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	437681  

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
LOL, love the drawing Rob.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
why put the cutout behind the 'muffler'? why not put it in front of it?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Awesome. I've been contemplating the same idea in my head using a Dynomax muffler for quietness. Do post clips when you are done. I'm very curious to see how these "quieter" Dynomax mufflers sound.

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
replace the magnaflow with a borla, and you'll be onto something. :p

Also, why do a 3" exhaust to a 2.5" muffler? that doesn't make any sense. if you're doing 3", keep it *all* 3". reducing the size of the pipe isn't going to make any difference, except adding restriction where you don't want it. With good muffling full 3" isn't going to be loud. you have space to add another muffler or resonator, where a cat would be.. hell, even a high-flow cat really won't hurt.

I sort of agree with putting the cutout before the muffler - BUT - some tracks have noise limit restrictions. I dunno. I don't really see a huge benefit to the cutout on an N/A car anyway. Maybe put it in front of the muffler, and only use it when you can. Or ditch it because the weight and cost probably outweighs any benefits..

I have 3" exhaust, with a magnaflow ceramic cat (do NOT get a ceramic core cat! I wish I had a metal core one!), borla center muffler, and dynomax rear muffler. It's a tiny bit boomy at idle, but otherwise dead silent and it doesn't drone much at all (only really at like 1500rpm in 5th gear).

I'd much rather hear BMW intake noises, than exhaust noises...

btw, you're going to run out of space a LOT sooner than you think.

this article has a TON of good information, and was part of what convinced me to build a 3" exhaust:
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...exh/index.html

this is an E30 M3, but still worth reading (and really, the same principles apply to almost any car/engine)
http://e30m3project.com/e30m3perform...haust/exh1.htm

I think you'll see why I say keep it full 3"...

Last edited by hassmaschine; 02-20-2012 at 07:58 AM.
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I am going to have to look up the lengths of your mufflers. I'm worried it's still going to be too lout for you. I really think that if space/room isn't an issue, cutout should be closer to the motor, though.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
The 3" Borla Pro XS is nice a quiet, but reduces to 2.5" internally, just FYI.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
NICE! I will be doing something similar...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Bmw_fever

My Ride: 01' 325i ZSP ZCW
woo I wonder how it will sound with the cutout open!
Bmw_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
I'm building one myself in the next few weeks. Best place to get a nice 3in muffler with dual tips? Or can I buy the tips sperately?
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
I think vibrant has a 3" muffler with 2 tips
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Rob, check your PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
This is sort of what I have on the M50 e30. Just ebay headers, to a custom y pipe with flex, and then a 3" tube all the way back to a cheopo turbo muffler from summit. On teh stock tune, you can tell the engine lacks backpressure when its cold. Need to get to the dyno soon,.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
why put the cutout behind the 'muffler'? why not put it in front of it?
I am trying to still keep the noise levels down a bit, but because of space limitations I may need to move the cutout forward to where the first stock muffler/resonator would sit & suffer with the extra loudness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
replace the magnaflow with a borla, and you'll be onto something. :p

Also, why do a 3" exhaust to a 2.5" muffler? that doesn't make any sense. if you're doing 3", keep it *all* 3"...............

I sort of agree with putting the cutout before the muffler -...............

btw, you're going to run out of space a LOT sooner than you think.
I was thinking it would be easier to mount a 2.5" tube & muffler, also a little more back pressure & quietness. I might just stay with 3" all the way back, still thinking about it. You may be correct, I may run out of space & have to install the cutout before the muffler/resonator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
I am going to have to look up the lengths of your mufflers. I'm worried it's still going to be too lout for you. I really think that if space/room isn't an issue, cutout should be closer to the motor, though.
Like already stated, you may be correct. I just wanted the muffler in front of cutout for noise reduction, I figured any flow loss wouldn't be measurable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_fever View Post
woo I wonder how it will sound with the cutout open!
REALLY LOUD !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Rob, check your PM.
Got it.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 02-20-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Got it.
Are you DTB?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
jblack03zhp

My Ride: 330i zhp
I really am digging your idea here. I was actually sitting in physics the other day contemplating the exact same idea! I have some experiences with cutouts. Had one on my silverado I built before the BMW and now on my jeep, wonderful things they are. Only difference in my plan, a Borla 3" in the mid and a magnaflow tipped muffler, 2.5" inlet, on the the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I am trying to still keep the noise levels down a bit, but because of space limitations I may need to move the cutout forward to where the first stock muffler/resonator would sit & suffer with the extra loudness.
Out of experience I can notably say that you do not want the cutout before the muffler, especially if you do not plan to run cats after the long tube headers. There will not be sufficient back pressure and you will actually lose power. The plan, as is, is perfect. MAYBE go with a short first muffler. Other than that, you have an ideal system IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
The difference being men don't make excuses to rationalize why it's okay. We do as we please. No fucks will be given. You ma'am, give a fuck.
jblack03zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
In for results. Hope this project works out well for you.

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
defiantly want to see the results as im currently brainstorming an exhaust ideas for future use
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
This is what I did to get it quiet with low back pressure, just with no cut-out.

3" Magnaflow parts from Summit Racing:

Y Pipe #10778 = $27.36
18" long/9" wide Oval Muffler #11249 = $92.70 (straight thru for resonator)
18" long/8" wide Oval Muffler #12259 = $147.00 (offset for lower sound)
5.5" wide Oval Tip $114.28 (pricey for a small item)

Subtotal = $381.34 + freight

The 3" stainless tubing (5 ft) and hangers and installation will need to be added in and this came to about $500. Total is well under $1K - not bad when compared to the alternatives.

It is very quiet as it passes the critical test - my wife approves.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
jblack03zhp

My Ride: 330i zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
It is very quiet as it passes the critical test - my wife approves.
Got a good chuckle of that..

Do you happen to have any photos or video clips of this set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
The difference being men don't make excuses to rationalize why it's okay. We do as we please. No fucks will be given. You ma'am, give a fuck.
jblack03zhp is offline   Reply With Quote