E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Catella23

My Ride: 04 325xi 06 zx6r 636
Exclamation Speakers Size? Blown Speakers..

Hey guys, I just bought a 04' 325xi last weekend and the passanger door speaker is blown. I am looking to upgrade all of my speakers in my car but cannot find any info on the sizes anywheres.. Makes me literally wanna Can someone help me out please. I cannot stand the rattling and having no bass in my car what so ever. Someones help would be gladly apprecitated.
Catella23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Google Bavarian Soundwerks
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Welcome and great taste in cars !!

Well you thought it was going to be easy - Not. These are Euro sized in mm. Back to easy, you may look for a used pull from a salvage yard but these speakers also have different impedance (ohm) ratings then we're used to with conventional car audio. Should you have looked up Sams tip, you may be recovering from sticker shock. There are alternatives such as Infinity (Kappa series) with a close too but smaller then speaker that with mounting fabrication you can fit. Remember depth is also a concern. There's an "audio" section on the forum that has plenty-o information going into more details but this will address your speaker question. Below is a mm to inch chart to show you just how odd the sizing is. Enjoy your German toy and the wealth of info you'll discover searching on the "General" forum.

Speakers in the rear side panels (coupe) or rear doors (sedan) are a 2.5" midrange and not a tweeter. Otherwise the speaker sizes are exactly the same in both the Standard and HK audio systems.

The main difference between the two systems are the speakers impedance rating.
6.25" Midbass
HK : 3 ohms
Standard : 2 ohms

2.5" Midrange
HK: 4 ohms
Standard : 8 ohms

.75" Tweeter
Hk : 3 ohm
Standard : 8 ohm
Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Catella23

My Ride: 04 325xi 06 zx6r 636
ok so if i was going to buy speakers from "best buy" or a company online what would I wanna purchase for speaker sizes? for all speakers? both front and rears, as well as tweeters.. i mean has anyone put systems in their cars on this site? let me know guys.
Catella23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hmEWAc5...rselector.aspx
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
White_Knuckles

How 'bout you explore the below link. There are many speakers smaller then factory in the 5 - 5.5" size to select from. Finding the correct depth and ohm rating is the tricky part. Remember there are no drop-ins except BSW. Due to fabrication, I'm betting many don't attempt "upgrades" with speakers alone. The head unit, amps, nav and then speaker/subs are addressed with complete system change outs. Just swapping speaks won't gain you much.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Old 02-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Scarlegg_14

My Ride: 2003 325i
i just dont understand, will 6 1/2'' 2 way speakers fit in the front doors? or is that too big and do they need to be 5 1/4''? i have an 03 325i
Scarlegg_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlegg_14 View Post
i just dont understand, will 6 1/2'' 2 way speakers fit in the front doors? or is that too big and do they need to be 5 1/4''? i have an 03 325i
Read through the post and you'll see the front door speakers are 6.25". So yeah, 6.5 don't fit. Co-ax is not what you want. The speaker is factory crossed as mid range where the tweeter would do little. You replace with factory, fabricate or go with BSW replacement.

That's it.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
iclutchpopper

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
im looking for some speakers to..i checked out the website and i found these polk audi speakers that are 6 1/2 and the site says they fit, but you are saying they wont..Im confused
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI6...***details-tab
iclutchpopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
White_Knuckles

Well, one must define "fit". Remember the factory speakers are 158mm or about 6.25". The opening would be a 1/4" shy of 6 1/2 right? So no, they don't fit properly. Should you enlarge the door hole and fabricate a mounting method then they would drop in. The polks are shallow where the magnet won't be a problem but they're 4 ohm not 2 where they would be less efficient should you have the non-HK system. They also are co-axial with two drivers and a passive cross-over. The factory has already crossed the send to mid-bass so no high freq. even gets to them. The tweeter would be useless. The only close-to speakers are Infinity Kappa that offer a 5.25", 2 ohm unit that owners have adapted to the larger opening. They come in co-ax and component separates. There's plenty of info. in the audio forum showing mild to wild speaker adaption. Most change out everything - head, amps, speakers, etc. to get noticeable performance. The factory system with only a speaker upgrade, lets say the BSW babies which are the correct size and impedance, will slightly increase clarity, image and definition. Guys who expect amazing results are often disappointed. The factory system has no headroom or power behind it. You need power to get the big sound. Yes, BSW's are better than factory but aftermarket speakers such as the polks can go the other way being less efficient after considerable expense and installation work.

Edit: Crutchfield sometimes goofs up with misleading info. in this case no. I ran my 03 sedan on those Polks and it came back "Does not fit" but run the car spec. and those speakers are listed with the bracket kit linked below. So they might work with some tweaking and the kit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SABW...er-reviews-tab

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 03-18-2012 at 01:24 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote