E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
XI or xDrive?

Ok so im contemplating making the switch to an E90 and wanted to get your thoughts on the AWD systems. Would you stick with the XI system and get an 07-08 or bite the bullet and spend a few extra grand on the LCI E90 with the xDrive system? My car currently has 118k on it and im thinking of moving on from it while its resale is still pretty good, that is until the F30 comes out and makes it 3 generations old.

Ive found a few nice 09s for 27-29k with under 35kmi that seem to be worth it. What's your thoughts on the a chestnut interior on Deep Sea Blue Metallic?

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Call me crazy, but i would save the weight, money, gas mileage, and so forth and get RWD. Get bridgestone blizzacks, enjoy the winter because the car will do just fine, in fact, i'm sure they will exceed your expecations. And then when the summer comes around, you won't be kicking yourself in the ass for having AWD when you don't need it.

I've been driving my car on blizzacks in the winter for 5 years now. I can't tell you how manageable RWD cars are in the snow with these tires. Made it up plenty of steep hills, dug myself out of plenty of parking spots, and the car always turns/stops on a dime considering the road conditions
Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
I'd dont like the styling of the e90s. I think it'll go down in history as a bad generation for BMW. THe F30 looks much nicer. I don't think the arrival of the F30 is going to hurt the resale values of the e46 nearly as much as the e9x...

xdrive is much better than what we've got. Our cars have three open diffs and rely entirely on brake intervention to prevent slippage. The xdrive system in the e90 is capable of shifting power from the rear to the front by way of a clutch mechanism. It's center diff is a type of LSD, though not a torque sensing one (i.e. not torsen). Also, it's 100% rwd until slip id detected. xdrive is a pretty good system. our awd system on the other hand is pretty much the worst on the road.

Unless you live someplace with mountains, I'd skip AWD and go RWD like he said ^^^.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
wdeerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Call me crazy, but i would save the weight, money, gas mileage, and so forth and get RWD. Get bridgestone blizzacks, enjoy the winter because the car will do just fine, in fact, i'm sure they will exceed your expecations. And then when the summer comes around, you won't be kicking yourself in the ass for having AWD when you don't need it.

I've been driving my car on blizzacks in the winter for 5 years now. I can't tell you how manageable RWD cars are in the snow with these tires. Made it up plenty of steep hills, dug myself out of plenty of parking spots, and the car always turns/stops on a dime considering the road conditions
while i respect your opinion and your driving abilities in the snow with your coupe, i will still get and AWD car due to how much i drive in the snow to get the freshies in the mountains. I even pair it up with snow tires. Im not looking to get a car for speed but for versatility, handling, fun to drive factor.

Lets not turn this into the typical RWD vs AWD that you always seem to push in all of our XI threads

BACK ON TOPIC..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
I'd dont like the styling of the e90s. *I think it'll go down in history as a bad generation for BMW. *THe F30 looks much nicer. *I don't think the arrival of the F30 is going to hurt the resale values of the e46 nearly as much as the e9x...
xdrive is much better than what we've got. *Our cars have three open diffs and rely entirely on brake intervention to prevent slippage. *The xdrive system in the e90 is capable of shifting power from the rear to the front by way of a clutch mechanism. *It's center diff is a type of LSD, though not a torque sensing one (i.e. not torsen). *Also, it's 100% rwd until slip id detected. *xdrive is a pretty good system. our awd system on the other hand is pretty much the worst on the road..
Styling queues aside, i think the xDrive system might be the better bet and having a longer warranty is a bonus. Ive never had problems with the xi system but it would be nice to have all rwd in the xdrive when awd is not needed. I dont live in the mountains but in the winter months i drive through blizzards at times to get to the chairlift, so id like to stick with an awd.

Last edited by wdeerfield; 11-17-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
while i respect your opinion and your driving abilities in the snow with your coupe, i will still get and AWD car due to how much i drive in the snow to get the freshies in the mountains. I even pair it up with snow tires. Im not looking to get a car for speed but for versatility, handling, fun to drive factor.

Lets not turn this into the typical RWD vs AWD that you always seem to push in all of our XI threads

BACK ON TOPIC..
definitely not trying to make this a debate and i was giving my honest opinion for typical NE driving... however since you do mountain driving i can understand why you would want AWD

leaving now
Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
wdeerfield

Quote:
leaving now
you are more than welcome to stay. SG FTW

Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
JJR4884

fine i'll stay

ALL YOU AWD PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME, YOU DON'T NEED AWD, ITS NOT NECESSARY AND OVERKILL FOR NORMAL DRIVING, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO HAVE THE EXTRA 300LBS IN YOUR CAR AND WASTE THE GAS MONEY AND HAVE A JACKED UP CAR THAT LOOKS LIKE A CROSSOVER COMPARED TO THE SPORTY AND SLEEK STYLING THAT THE E46 SHOULD HAVE. THIS IS BULLCRAP! SMOKINS BAD MKKKKAY?

hahahhaha

in all honesty... i like the e90's, and i don't know much about the X-drive system but from what i do know... i like the sound of it. besides... the LCI looks lightyears better IMO. also with the warranty you can't go wrong... if you can afford it, go for it IMO. the one thing i would look into is any first or second year known issues... i have yet to hear anything, but the first year or two of bmw's "new" technology is always a work in progress. if it seams bullet proof and there aren't any known issues like the overheating and fuel pump issues of the N54, i say
Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
tanayast

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I own a 325xi and personally will still go with AWD. At times I have to come to work between midnight and 3am. During winter, on unplowed roads, AWD comes really handy.

Quote:
Call me crazy, but i would save the weight, money, gas mileage, and so forth and get RWD.
You have a point, that's why I keep the '95 M3 for my summer / weekend car

(just sharing, didn't mean to turn this into "E36 fanatics")
tanayast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
TiAgXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post
fine i'll stay

all you awd people are all the same, you don't need awd, its not necessary and overkill for normal driving, why would you want to have the extra 300lbs in your car and waste the gas money and have a jacked up car that looks like a crossover compared to the sporty and sleek styling that the e46 should have. This is bullcrap! Smokins bad mkkkkay?

Hahahhaha

all you flatlanders are all the same. You come to colorado and try to drive your crappy rwd cars into the mountains in a snow storm and then you get stuck and cause a massive traffic jam and i and give you the finger when i pass you and then i laugh when i am getting face shots in 16" of fresh snow on the ski hill and you are busy waiting for a tow truck to come help you. I laugh again when i am at home and i sip my bourbon after i just got out of the hottub and you are busy riding on the back of a flatbed in the dark and cold. I dont laugh however when i am sitting in the traffic jam you created. Get a clue flatlander noob.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
JJR4884

Quote:
all you flatlanders are all the same. You come to colorado and try to drive your crappy rwd cars into the mountains in a snow storm and then you get stuck and cause a massive traffic jam and i and give you the finger when i pass you and then i laugh when i am getting face shots in 16" of fresh snow on the ski hill and you are busy waiting for a tow truck to come help you. I laugh again when i am at home and i sip my bourbon after i just got out of the hottub and you are busy riding on the back of a flatbed in the dark and cold. I dont laugh however when i am sitting in the traffic jam you created. Get a clue flatlander noob.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
+1.

He took an icy off-ramp at 40mph one time with blizzaks and thinks AWD isn't necessary. Haha. Hahahahahah.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Ok so im contemplating making the switch to an E90 and wanted to get your thoughts on the AWD systems. Would you stick with the XI system and get an 07-08 or bite the bullet and spend a few extra grand on the LCI E90 with the xDrive system? My car currently has 118k on it and im thinking of moving on from it while its resale is still pretty good, that is until the F30 comes out and makes it 3 generations old.

Ive found a few nice 09s for 27-29k with under 35kmi that seem to be worth it. What's your thoughts on the a chestnut interior on Deep Sea Blue Metallic?
I race an e90 in my class- it's a 2007 328xi. He's about 1-2% quicker than me around a dry 1.5 mile autox course. He's probably got about 40 hp on me (roughly 200hp vs. 240hp). I'm sure I could beat him with an extra 40hp. Assuming we have the same talent, the e46 is the quicker chassis. Even with our so-called INSERT AN IGNORANT COMMENT HERE AWD system.

Also, if you like to DIY, the E90 is not for you.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
wdeerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I race an e90 in my class- it's a 2007 328xi. He's about 1-2% quicker than me around a dry 1.5 mile autox course.

isnt the 328xi the same drive system as the 325xi? They made the change to xdrive with the LCI models.

Also, could you elaborate what you mean by not DIY friendly for the E90? Mostly i would rely on warranty for any major problems, but would take care of brakes/suspension/oil changes.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
TiAgXi

Quote:
I race an e90 in my class- it's a 2007 328xi. He's about 1-2% quicker than me around a dry 1.5 mile autox course. He's probably got about 40 hp on me (roughly 200hp vs. 240hp). I'm sure I could beat him with an extra 40hp. Assuming we have the same talent, the e46 is the quicker chassis. Even with our so-called crappy AWD system.

Done. But I wouldn't say it's ignorant. I think the e46 awd system is objectively worse, at least for snow handling.

And also, all of the opinions I've heard (except yours) are that the e90 chassis is an improvement over the e46. I don't know why they say that but I think it had to do with their method of welding the unibody or something like that. IIRC, it's more rigid without sacrficing too much weight. But it's really apples and oranges b/c like you say, the e90 is more powerful.

Last edited by TiAgXi; 11-17-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
JJR4884

Quote:
+1.

He took an icy off-ramp at 40mph one time with blizzaks and thinks AWD isn't necessary. Haha. Hahahahahah.
see comments like this are what causes the rwd vs. awd debate...

shut your mouth, you love starting shiit. i have done just fine in the winter months with blizzacks for 5 years now, you think anything you say matters?

carry along now.. i should have know you would say something. oh and for what its worth... staying neutral around a bend and not shifting weight from front to rear is what you want to do... how would AWD help me in that case? just wondering....
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
svdw

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Ironic this one came up this morning. Although today's drive was only over a couple inches of fresh snow, I've encountered some horrible driving conditions in my 5 years in Northwest Montana. Since buying my XI two years ago I can't tell you how many cars and four wheel drive pickup trucks I have passed that have been fishtailing, spinning out or have landed in the ditch. No snow tires for me either, just all seasons. Not the most sophisticated AWD system according to some but my car seems to handle weather as good or better than the WRX or AWD VW I owned previously.
svdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdw View Post
Ironic this one came up this morning. Although today's drive was only over a couple inches of fresh snow, I've encountered some horrible driving conditions in my 5 years in Northwest Montana. Since buying my XI two years ago I can't tell you how many cars and four wheel drive pickup trucks I have passed that have been fishtailing, spinning out or have landed in the ditch. No snow tires for me either, just all seasons. Not the most sophisticated AWD system according to some but my car seems to handle weather as good or better than the WRX or AWD VW I owned previously.
wow i'm shocked to hear that... i thought our Xi's were mediocre in the snow where the WRX's were beasts.... did the WRX have softer tires?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
TiAgXi

WRX and VW aren't exactly the two best AWD systems on the market.... haldex and VC center diffs are a mild upgrade from our cars, imho.

Torsen and xDrive are big upgrades.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #19
wdeerfield

Well by the sounds of it, looks like im going to keep as planned with an 09 - newer xdrive sedan.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
svdw

My Ride: 2003 325XI
The WRX was a beast. It is the only car I ever regret getting rid of, although it wasn't my choice (divorce). I kept the Integra but later got rid of it for an '04 Passat 1.8t 4motion. Horrible choice. It had so many problems, mainly electrical, so I traded it off with 35,800 miles on it. Not the point.

Both my current 325xi and my old WRX have the same size tires, 205/55/16. Not really sure about the softness of the tires for comparison purposes. I think it has a lot more to do with driving style. I drove the WRX harder, beat on it from time to time, but it was tough. I always felt in control because the car seemed to correct itself when I got too squirrelly with it. It was more of a toy at times. I think I baby my BMW in the snow in comparison. Maybe it is because I have more money into it and plan on keeping it. What I like best about my XI is that it is a perfect dual purpose vehicle. I can take corners hard and hit high speeds when the weather is good if I want to and I can also be very tame with it in the winter and it will get me through most anything.
svdw is offline   Reply With Quote