E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Chowda633

My Ride: 01 325I
Head damage pics/ Notes

Well after a long few days finally got the head off and took some pics of the damage.

Few notes though I have a M54 engine and the DYI's out there are not too bad. Defiantly help you out but don't just use one DYI. Read them all, do your homework, and ask lots of questions and most importantly take your time!

All the DYI's I read failed to mention that there are a couple of more tiny bolts that hold the head down around the vanos system. It may just pertain to the M54 or the specific engine I have but we wasted an hour trying to figure out why the head would not seperate. Turns out there where some tiny star head bolts in the front of the head by the vanos holding it on.

And the head CAN be removed with the headers still attached. They are long tube headers and we just cut the bolts right by the firewall.

Its a 100 times easier with another person. I pushed it out from below guiding the headers out while my buddy sat in the engine bay and pulled it out from above. WEAR THICK GLOVES! The head slipped coming out and a sharp bolt almost went through my entire hand. Made a huge bloody mess at 1 am but at least the head is out!

The DYI's out there are awesome but not many pics at all. Just take your time do things right and you will save a lot of money in broken parts.

Like everyone says I too have built some motors done all kinds of auto work and this by far was probably one of the hardest jobs just getting it out. I ended up just taking my time and still broke stuff. Looks like its going to be AT LEAST 1,500 dollars in parts alone to fix everything and replace everything I want to while I am in there.

Here is the damages:

#6 Cyl.

Bottom of the head

another cyl. Notice the valves. Can't tell if they are coroding away on the edges?

Engine

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Chowda633

Something all you Socal and south people never have to deal with like we do in the north!

RUST!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
So how did this happen?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
asma123

My Ride: 330ci
one quick question how did you remove the valves? I don't see any bolts holding them on top of the combustion chamber.

also you might want to replace your rings since I see there's some coolant in there
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Chowda633

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
So how did this happen?
Damn good question!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma123 View Post
one quick question how did you remove the valves? I don't see any bolts holding them on top of the combustion chamber.

also you might want to replace your rings since I see there's some coolant in there
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Chowda633

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma123 View Post

There is keepers that hold them in you need a spring compressor to remove. Everything is still together in the pic.

Rings are fine all that is, is residule coolant that came out of the head when we pulled it off just extra coolant trapped in it
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Interesting how the cylinder with the bad valve looks, partially burned fuel and oil make a mess of the walls. Assume this will clean up and clear up once the head is back on.

Starting to wonder if the burned exhaust valve are happening due to lean conditions in some of the cyliners? A side effect of vacuum leaks that are not bad enough to trigger CEL or cause rough running??

Hopefully this is not a new trend.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Killabeast

My Ride: 01 325ci
It looks almost exactly like mine haha. Carbon build up is what I figured killed my valve. Maybe the same for you.

Sorry about the timing chain cover bolts haha. I know the diy's were missing that part when I did mine too but I pulled them just because.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Chowda633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killabeast View Post
It looks almost exactly like mine haha. Carbon build up is what I figured killed my valve. Maybe the same for you.

Sorry about the timing chain cover bolts haha. I know the diy's were missing that part when I did mine too but I pulled them just because.
Lol thx yes MASSIVE buildup from the pcc or pvc system cant remember what its called. Injectors, plugs, intake etc all covered in oil. Best bet for future people is seafoam the hell out of your motor to remove build up like this. It will eat through all the carbon like this.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Sapote

My Ride: E46 2000 323i wagon
I agree that too much carbon build up in the chamber and on the EX valve heads. I think a piece of the hard carbon fell off and jammed to the EX valve/seat. That jammed valve was cocked unbalanced and the strong spring snapped the valve close and broke its edge.

The photo shows you choose to pull the head out with the EX manifolds attached -- I think this made the job much difficult. As I said before that I did this alone and did not break any things.

What bold that cut your hand? I think you meant the head studs might be.

You will have tough time when install the head with those ex manifold on it.

As for the broken valve, to prevent this happen, I think we should periodically clean the carbon from the chamber. How, I don't know but if there is a way to inject water into the intake, it sure will clean the carbon up real nice. I know this because my cracked head cleaned the cylinder and the chamber under it really well.

Sapote
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Chowda633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
I agree that too much carbon build up in the chamber and on the EX valve heads. I think a piece of the hard carbon fell off and jammed to the EX valve/seat. That jammed valve was cocked unbalanced and the strong spring snapped the valve close and broke its edge.

The photo shows you choose to pull the head out with the EX manifolds attached -- I think this made the job much difficult. As I said before that I did this alone and did not break any things.

What bold that cut your hand? I think you meant the head studs might be.

You will have tough time when install the head with those ex manifold on it.

As for the broken valve, to prevent this happen, I think we should periodically clean the carbon from the chamber. How, I don't know but if there is a way to inject water into the intake, it sure will clean the carbon up real nice. I know this because my cracked head cleaned the cylinder and the chamber under it really well.

Sapote
Actually leaving the manifolds attached made it WAY easier. Your in socal you guys have no clue what rust is lol no offense! Look at some of the pics some of the bolts/studs are completely corroded away from the salt here.

Every single stud came out with the stud as well because of the rust on them.

I think it was one of the studs on the side of the head somewhere when we were lifting it out.

Going to have someone help me re install it might put the ex mani's on after the head is in the car this time as well have not decided yet.

And your right about cleaning the cyl heads. Seam foam does this EXTREMELY well. I wish I had done it a long time ago. I have used it on many of my vehicles. Creates one hell of a smoke show!