E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
dogbox46

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323 ci
Thinking of an XI

Okay folks... I own a pristine 2000 e46 (40,000 miles) and I'm considering an all-wheel drive for the winter. Is there anything I should be aware of with the xi, models to avoid or options to insist on? 330 or 325?

I drive a standard but will probably need an automatic for the wife acceptance factor.

Finally, will my 225 45 17's Hankook iPike winter tires fit an xi?

Thanks...
dogbox46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
CLP-WGH

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I do not have much weight behind my words but I thought I would jump in on this one.....

I have owned my 2001 330xi 5spd since January of this year and so far I've had no major issues. The XI handled the peak of the Chicago winter with ease. It truly is an incredible machine. And this statement is made coming off a Jeep. Also, cornering is as they say, "like your on rails."

I personally have noticed a slight vibration that runs down the drive shaft near the transfer case, however, the sound/sensation is so faint, and at 130k miles, it is not worth investigating.

Options I would recommend are the Sport Seats with the seat length adjustment which helps with fatigue on longer drives. Other than that, Heated front seats and fold down rear seats included with the Cold weather package would be great have. If your big on music, cars with the DICE ipod module are a plus. There are plenty of inexpensive ways to add an auxiliary outlet to your head unit if the car is not equipped.

As far as engine displacement is concerned I would recommend the 330. I think the output is very satisfying and does not leave you wanting more. It is also fairly economical. I experience a solid 19mpg in 100% "Big City" driving and 28mpg at 75mph highway travel.

Currently, I have stock 205/50R17 Michelin all season tires, but I have read that 225/45R17's will fit without any issues on the stock 17"x7" wheels. I'm also planing on running 225/45R17's in the near future. Ground clearance, as you may already know, is approx. 3/4" higher than the 330I, which is very convenient when venturing down unplowed roadways.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by CLP-WGH; 10-07-2012 at 10:40 PM.
CLP-WGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbox46 View Post
Okay folks... I own a pristine 2000 e46 (40,000 miles) and I'm considering an all-wheel drive for the winter. Is there anything I should be aware of with the xi, models to avoid or options to insist on? 330 or 325?

I drive a standard but will probably need an automatic for the wife acceptance factor.

Finally, will my 225 45 17's Hankook iPike winter tires fit an xi?

Thanks...
There's nothing to avoid really, all the same things as a RWD E46 apply. Find one with premium package, cold weather package (must!), and preferably the sport package. I personally wouldn't get a 325 but that's a personal choice, can't hurt to get the 330.

Finding an Xi that's 2003 or newer will come with the improvements that many later model E46 cars came with as well as a few improvements on the Xi drivetrain as well, it's worth it.

Things to be aware of: More maintenance, more maintenance costs, front axles die from time to time, many parts are Xi only so more expensive, then the rest of the normal E46 stuff. Remember, it's more or less the same car except with AWD tacked on.

Oh and 225/45/17 tires will fit no problem.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 10-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
gordo325xiwagon

My Ride: '01 325xit Step
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbox46 View Post
will my 225 45 17's Hankook iPike winter tires fit an xi?...
They will fit fine.

1993 300 ZX Twin Turbo (360hp @16psi) // 1997 Jag XK8 Luxor Cruiser // 2001 325xit Best Blend of Ride and Handling
gordo325xiwagon is offline   Reply With Quote