E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
xslntx

My Ride: 325xi
325xi full strip and custom (boring) paint.

Hey everyone, I haven't been active at all, more or less just lurking. I thought somebody might find interest in my somewhat restoration of my E46.

I bought the car a couple years ago with around 110,000 KM. Currently sitting at 378,000 KMs and I haven't yet thought of replacing it outright. I figured, since it's treated me so well so far, I'd give it a little TLC.

This is the car as I bought it. I took it out east (a 2,100KM trip) just last year.

It ended up being rear ended while on a major highway shortly after returning.

... And then it was side-swiped by a pickup not too long after that.

Both of which happened without me at the wheel. Which was the most unfortunate part of both incidents. If I'm going to buy a car, I feel like I should at least be the one to destroy it. lol

I drove it for about 8 months after both incidents occurred, embarrassing as it was. And when summer came along, I decided to give back to the car that treated me so well in the past.

Stripped down, ready for prep work. Getting to this point took almost half a day.

Replaced the trunk from a donor Xi. I decided to replace it vs. repairing the damaged one so I knew the body was brought back out to where it was supposed to be.

This is just how bad it was pushed in after the collision. The latch of the new trunk is outside of the weather stripping on the body.

More prep work:

Body pulled to line up with the donor trunk:

Taking care of the common rust spots:

More prep. Repairing small dings and chips in the hood, and a couple large dents I didn't even know about.

Finalized prep and ready for paint. In the paint booth now.

I decided to do a full color change on the car. I wasn't a huge fan of the factory color. I ended up choosing a custom, pearlescent color that somewhat resembles "mystic blue". I much prefer it to the steel blue metallic that the car was originally painted with.

After paint and clear:

And here it is after drying. Just waiting to cure before reassembly begins.

And here it is, finally finished, after two *extremely* long weeks of waiting.

And now after all that, I find out my oil pan is leaking and my steering rack boots are nearly non-existant. Oh well. Almost 400,000 KMs and I still can't let it go.
xslntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:10 AM   #2
Poison e46

My Ride: E46 325 m-sport coup
Well done for saving it most people would have just scrapped it
Old 05-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Vader

My Ride: E46 Touring, E36 328
Welcome to the forum!

I like the new color. Its unique. I also found it humorous when you said "a few years" and managed to rack up 270,000km on it!

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
E46 325xi Touring - Orientblau Metallic

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club #343!

Canadian Alpina Forum
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
modjo

My Ride: 330XI
Good job done.
modjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
Inema69

My Ride: 2003 325i
Great color!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Awesome color, especially when the light hits it.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
jaga

My Ride: 2002 325i
Very very nice!!! Your car will run forever.
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote