E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 325i
Spent a While Planning an Aggressive Fitment, Will it Work?

I have spent the last week or so reading up on wheel fitment, offset, etc. I plan on bagging my e46 next month so I am looking to pick up a new set of wheels before getting it bagged.

I was planning on running the following setup:

Front: 18x9 et30 wrapped in 235x35x18 with -1.5 degrees of camber
Rear: 18x10 et25 wrapped in 255x35x18 with a fender roll in the rear

I know the rear will have a mild stretch being wrapped in 255 but I am comfortable with it.

My only question is, will an 18x10 fit with a et25 offset in the rear after a fender roll/stretch?
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
sedan or coupe> that is important to know

I have 19x10 et45 and with rolled 1/4s and mildly lowered I get a little rub both inner wheel arch and outer. This is on my sedan
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
iRide113

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lynel- View Post
sedan or coupe> that is important to know

I have 19x10 et45 and with rolled 1/4s and mildly lowered I get a little rub both inner wheel arch and outer. This is on my sedan

It's a sedan. I've read posts with 18x10 et43 fitting in the rear. I just don't know how much of a difference the offset will make.

I'm going off of this chart via TurnerMotorsports.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1413027356.299609.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	576927

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
willtheyfit.com allows you to get a diagram that shows you the difference

essentially you will always have ET (positive offset wheels) very few cars use negative offset so I wont bother explaining it (though its just a mirror of what I will explain)

When comparing 2 wheels of the SAME WIDTH the one with the lower ET (positive offset) will stick further out towards the fender. Offset is one of those things people don't seem to read up about, but makes the biggest difference to the look of the wheel on a car.

18x10 et25 will poke out 19mm more then a 18x10 et43. Im not even that low and I struggle to see how that's going to go without reasonable camber. I run -2.5degree to fit my wheels.

Good luck guy. Id suggest if you get the wheels anyway, that you give them to the shop doing the rolling so they know how far they need to go. Believe it or not some people just get them rolled thinking rolled is rolled and find the wheels still rub later.
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
iRide113

That makes a lot more sense now. Basically a lower offset means the wheel is going to be closer to the fenders (assuming for big brake kits, etc).

I called a local shop and talked to them about rolling. We are deciding to bring the wheels with rubbers when the car is bagged to try to get the rolling done the first time.

I'm assuming with a some aggressive fender rolling in the rear, they should fit?

Old 10-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
Air bags, or coilovers?

I have no experience with airbags as I prefer they remain in the Veedub scene :p but since I got my 328Ci in Jan 2006 I've had well over 30 sets of wheels and a lot of different coilovers (ST V1, KW V2/V3/Clubsports, TCK D/A, GC, Motons, Bilstein PSS10(dont recommend), FK 4300, JRZ RS and the current and FAR AND AWAY best are the JRZ RS-Pro; not a complete list).

Even aggressive offsets on 8.5/9.5 can be tricky, and coupes fit bigger wheels more easily IME.

I was unable to fit 18x9et22 and 18x10et18 even with perfectly rolled fenders pulled as far as possible. It wasn't until I actually had my fenders flared (cut, pulled, shaped, new metal welded in, etc) that I could fit them properly (the widest set I've tried since are 19x10.5et25 and 19x11et12 wrapped with PSS 265's/275's and running mildish camber of -2.3f and -2.1r).
I would strongly advise getting a set of Turner's adjustable rear control arms.
Less important but still a good idea are front camber plates, but from experience DO NOT SKIMP! It may cost $350-450, but there are some things that you just don't want to get from the bargain bin. Vorschlag has been consistently good, having gone from Stg1 to 2 to 3 etc, but haven't bought any in a few years.

I also would advise against "aggressive stretch" tire fitments, from experience. Not to brag, but my 06 M3 ZCP 6MT (and 328Ci, and to a somewhat lesser extent my 01 325i ZSP 5MT) has(/have) an extremely tight, nearly perfect suspension setup with the best parts available (having seen firsthand what cheap parts get you, and it's throwing away money). I have a separate track log book that records nothing but my alignment settings (before, during, and after), tires (make/model/sizes/miles/temps/etc), and my notes on each as well as the wheels (make/model/sizes+offsets/bare weight/wrapped weight), brakes (I've settled on AP Racing's top 6/4 monoblock setup, but the pads and rotors ie regular slotted/blank/j-hook, plus weights of each)...
Point being, I am constantly trying to improve my car as well as my driving, and there is almost a bell curve to tire width, except that the first slope is extremely gentle compared to the second, which is an immediate plummet.

I found, for example, on my TE37SL 19x9.5f/10.5r, that the absolute best overall widths for me are 255f 275r, which is enough to get the benefits of the stiffer sidewalls, but retains the "right" contact patch.
My friend, who as much as I love the guy doesn't seem to understand the difference between show and go, kept arguing with me about stretched tires (his belief was that you always benefit from more stretch), so I said let's swap wheels and settle this (his car is a, thankfully, cleanly modified E36 M3 GT35R with flared arches).
Not wanting to risk someone else damaging big money wheels, but also wanting to give him a set that I feel are "squared away", he was a bit disappointed that he didn't get my Volk's or LM's but like almost all of my street wheels they're 19's, so onto his car went a set of my DPE RO7-S 18x9.5f/10.5r with PSS 255f/275r.
Onto my car went the RPF01 18x10/10.5 (I actually sold them to him lol) with 235f and 245r Pirelli P-Zero's.

After 30min he called and sheepishly said "you win", lol.
The Enkei's have since worn PSS/P-Zero Corsa in 245-255f and 265-275r and he no longer is unable to use 1st thru 3rd, despite "just" 490rwhp/460rwtq.

I apologize for being preachy, I just would hate to see someone end up unhappy when I may have been able to offer my experience...

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #7
iRide113

I was going to run an air ride setup (airbags). So I'm assuming since you fit 19x10 et25, I should be able to fit 18x10 et 25, right?

Also I read on some stance threads that DNA arms work for our e46's. What would you recommend are the top 5 or so brands to look at for rear adjustable control arms?

Tags
18x10, aggressive, air ride, bag