E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
stoneweed1
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '01 330xi 200K miles
VIBRATION .... Lots of Maintenance Work DONE!!!!

My 2001 Automatic 330xi is about to hit 200,000 miles and i've decided i'd like to keep it going as my daily driver for another 3 yrs - wishing for another 75,000 to 100,000 more miles. I liked the car, but was frustrated by vibrations issues. I've had some vibration issues at 50-70 mph, and more commonly at 60-70mph. I've read up on a few things on this forum. I also had some idling vibration that was annoying.

A replacement of axles with both front R and L remanufactured A1 Cardone axles 6 months ago took care of the vibration by 60%. My rear springs were original and broken for probably a few yrs and hadn't replaced them. Recently, my Michelin Exalto A/S were getting bald and rode like crap and the Right Front Passenger Rim recently developed a bend that leaked 5 lbs of air every day. This caused worsening of ride quality and vibration. So I decided to put some work into the 330xi so it would drive better and possibly last longer.

Here is what I had done in the past 3 weeks, Everything is new unless specified:

Engine:

VANOS SEALS and VANOS RATTLE kit from beisan. I didn't have a rattle but put it in anyway.
Spark Plugs NGK
OIL Change with AMSOIL
Air Filter
Right and Left Engine Mount
Oil Filter Housing Gasket, Oil Filter Housing To Engine Block

COOLING SYSTEM:
Behr Radiator/ Fresh Coolant
BMW OEM Water Pump part#: 11517527910
Expansion Tank (slightly used)
Thermostat Accessory Belt Tensioner Pulley/Roller; Alternator and/or AC Belt
2 Serpentine Belts (AC and Alternator)
The wrong Idler Pulley, Roller for the water pump/alternator was sent, so the original is still on it. (I recently received the proper Idler Pulley but haven't installed it)

DriveLine Stuff:
Guibo Shaft Flex Disc
Driveshaft Bearing
New Shock and Strut Mounts
Koni Shocks and Struts
Slightly used (15K miles used) BMW OEM Front and Rear Springs (I wanted Stock setup for Daily Driver)
New Koni Rear Shocks/Struts
New Front Passenger Rim
4 New Continental DWS Tires
Alignment from NTB from a 5yr plan
Transmission Mount
Transfer Case Support Mount
Power Steering Fluid Reservoir; With Filter
Diff mount rear of subframe x 1 oem
Diff mount front of subframe x 2 oem
Front Left & Right Control Arm Kit w Bushings & Ball Joints LEMFORDER
Front Left Tie Rod Assembly Meyle
Front Right Tie Rod Assembly Meyle
Rear Trailing Arm Bushing x 2 Lemforder
Rear Lower Outer Control Arm Bushing
Front Left Sway Bar Link (Meyle)
Front Right Sway Bar Link (Meyle)
BMW Auto Trans Filter Kit - CRP
Rear Lower Driver's Control Arm (the passenger's Rear Lower CA looked fine

Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter were replaced 6 months ago.
I didn't replace any hoses
I didn't replace the DISA VALVE (its still original)
CCV is still original (I'm pretty sure)
Additionaly I changed out the transmission fluid with AMSOIL ATF and Diff Fluid with Amsoil
Yes, I changed it out from original to Amsoil ATF at 198,800 miles!!!!

I didn't have any codes before the maintenance and do not have any codes now:
Here is what I've noticed - it drives better for sure, seems more solid.....not really a night and day difference, but an improvement.
When shifting from Park to Reverse, it doesn't thump noticeably like it used to. It gives an ever so slight thump.
Vibration: Improved by about 70-85%... its in this range because it seems sometimes I get more vibration on a particular day and sometimes less. Could be due to engine warming up/weather. I think it's a cold engine more vibrations than a warmed up engine. When I had the new tires put in, the tire guy said that the two rear wheels aren't totally round and true, but by putting these rims in the rear, I shouldn't feel them.
The car has better power and a bit more zip, but not drastic.
The idling vibration has improved, but its still ever so noticeable.
I still get this droning type of feel from the car when travelling at 30 to 40 mph and giving it a little gas - feels like its in 3rd gear when it should be in 2nd (been this way for the past 100,000 miles
I was hoping for zero vibration, but too bad.
I had no codes prior to all the maintainence no codes after,
I'd like to know in what way would the following help regarding the 330xi with 200K miles:
Should changing the DISA valve help?
Should changing the CCV help?
Should changing out the original two pre-cat Oxygen Sensor help?
Is replacing the Idler pulley necessary from original at 200,000 miles?
Would putting new rims on the rears help?
Would putting in a new passenger Rear Lower Control Arm help?

Additionally I get a strange sound from my A/C Heater control console when I turn it off (whether key in in or out). Kinda like a Hissing Sound.

I've put in about 500 miles and so far its driving better than before all the work, but still not smooth as silk.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by stoneweed1; 02-27-2012 at 02:30 AM.
stoneweed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
if the disa valve were shot, you'd get an error.

good luck on perfection.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Actually, funny you mention the droning about the gearbox feeling like it's labouring. Mine's on half the kays yours is on and it does that (along with assorted problems). The BMW dealership is taking it in this week to hopefully sort everything out so I'll get back to you when I have word on it!

EDIT: APparently it was my MAF>

Last edited by trive2; 02-28-2012 at 11:44 PM.
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
The CCV would definitely be a good thing to do, especially since you live in a cold climate. Cleaning or replacing the ICV would be a great idea too. I mention replacement because it is a mechanical device, and with 200k + miles, you have gotten your money's worth. Replacing out of round wheels would improve vibration, without a doubt. The question you need to answer is if the cost of doing so would be worth it. I get the feeling you may be a little tight with money!
The DISA could be functioning improperly, and not throw a code. It definitely should be looked at, and have a new O-ring on hand when you do so. If it is completely OK (which would be unusual), you would want to change the O-ring when you re-install it. Make sure you read up on what the failure points are on the DISA before you check it out.
Definitely replace the idler pulley!
I am amazed that you are not getting any codes for any vacuum leaks. I would say to replace the intake hoses and the other vacuum lines, but with no errors at this point, you may as well just wait until something happens. You have been pretty fortunate. But, don't be suprised if some of the intake/vacuum lines break when trying to get to the DISA and the ICV.
To tell the truth, I am almost inclined to advise you to leave those things alone, given the lack of vacuum leaks. It is almost guaranteed that one or more of those hoses will break when you start digging in there. But, a DISA failure has the potential to spit the pivot pin into your engine, which can be a catastrophic failure. So it really should be looked at.
All in all, you have been extremely fortunate, given the milage, the lack of error codes, and the number of parts that had not been replaced. But I am not suprised you were having vibrations coming at you from every part of the car!
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I like the icv too for your rough idle, and I didn't see the lower boot on your list...but the list is so long, I may have missed it.

There's a diy smoke test you might play around with also.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
moranor

My Ride: 323i
'wheels aren't totally round and true' if this is the case you really wasting your time with the other driveline stuff till you change them...
moranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
dmax

I missed the wheel issue. I was thinking that from the get go of your post...saw you replaced one wheel though, so that's probably why I missed that.

Spin the wheels by hand...use a friend...while you watch the rim for a hop. Even if the wheel balances, you'd still feel it.

High speed balancers spin the wheel so fast, a rim flat spot will be missed. Do it by hand and you'll notice it much better...and pay attention to the inside rim in particular. The wheel is much 'softer' there. If you notice a flat spot on a front wheel, move it to the rear...and technically, since we're not supposed to rotate wheels, if the tires have a large number of miles on them, keep the tires where they are (suppose you could move the whole wheel/tire first to see if that's really the issue and if it lessens the vibration, but you notice any squirrleyness in handling, move the tire back to the corner where it came from and either get a new wheel or just keep it in the rear where vibration will be less.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I like the icv too for your rough idle, and I didn't see the lower boot on your list...but the list is so long, I may have missed it.

There's a diy smoke test you might play around with also.
You're phoning it in today dmax! He does not have any CEL's, and never has. So, that makes a vac leak pretty unlikely. He also mentioned that the tire installer told him that 2 other wheels are out of round, so he put them on the rear. You must be tired today. You are answering like one of those fake chat programs some companies use to make you think you are chatting with a live person!
Sorry, I just had to give you a hard time!
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
stoneweed1
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '01 330xi 200K miles
ICV was cleaned 6-7 months ago. Though I have no codes, I'm considering putting in new oxygen sensors pre-cat and a new disa since they are 11 yes old and 200000 miles. Avg MPG is 21.9 mph mostly highway.
stoneweed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
You're phoning it in today dmax! He does not have any CEL's, and never has. So, that makes a vac leak pretty unlikely. He also mentioned that the tire installer told him that 2 other wheels are out of round, so he put them on the rear. You must be tired today. You are answering like one of those fake chat programs some companies use to make you think you are chatting with a live person!
Sorry, I just had to give you a hard time!
MJ, you mean you read his post? I thought when they were that long, skimming was okay?

Sorry if I missed all that stuff. I'm trying to wean myself from fanatics...maybe sucking at it is my way of making it easier to do so?

Anyway, my wheel comment was probably because I noticed the speed dependent vibration, and wheels often seem to have a range within which you get vibration, but before and after you don't. Also, I've learned to trust few, and many of those I don't trust are those who balance wheels. High speed balancers can hide flat spots.

Also, I do tend to ignore what was done sometimes, just because sometimes they're not done right...and focus in mostly, when I can, on the symptoms presented.

That, and I was playing cello, teaching my cat to pee in the toilet, and critiquing some of my students' business writing...so phoning it in was my only option!

Thanks for keeping me honest, though. I appreciate it! Really!

A recent set