E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
IfUDntLuvMeH8Me

My Ride: is beautiful
UUC OE Brake kit problems

Hey y'all,

I wanted to get some advice from some of the guys who run the setup or have some expertise in the technical area.

Beyond the problems with UUC Motorwerks sales, service, and shipping depts that I have had, I now have a drop shipped set of zinc rotors (the box does say zinc on them and they have a black coating all over the rotor) with the Hawk performance ceramic brakes HB136 fronts and HB227 rears. After installing them today (finally), I drove them down the road performing the brake in as the pads describe (6-10 medium force stops at 30-35 mph and 2-3 hard force stops at 40-45 mph). Throughout the test and still I have very little brake pressure at low speeds, and I have very uneven wear on 3/4 rotors and what feels like a build-up of the coated material on the rotors.

I plan on taking the system apart and sanding of the remaining coating on the contact surface and cleaning the pads before re-installing them and bleeding the lines to make sure I have proper pressure.

Am I doing this right? Is there any other suggestions? the UUC product description says nothing about zinc rotors, but says their rotors are SAE J431 standard for grade 3000 gray cast iron. A buddy who knows a BMW tech says that they don't use zinc rotors because they are too soft and only to use cast iron. Since they were drop shipped could the shipping company have made a mistake? Here's a link to the product I ordered. FRONT pair of OE-type PLAIN replacement brake rotors - 34 11 1 164 539-1532 OE PLAIN FRONT brake rotors for all E46 328, 325, 323

Any and all help is appreciated.

Nate

(|OO\ (||||)(||||) /OO|)
Current mods: 18x8.5 CSLs | BFP CF CAI | Projector corners | eBay Headers | Smoked LED tails & markers | BSW Stage 1 Speaker kit w/ Sub | Conforti Shark Injector | Borla exhaust
Awaiting installation: H&R Cup Kit
IfUDntLuvMeH8Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I bought their UUC/Wilwood BBK...the front slotted rotors were warped (confirmed when I had them machined) after a couple of weeks.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
02gtstang

My Ride: 2005 zhp coupe
The zinc coating is just to prevent excessive rust, the rotors are not completely made of it. The pads don't fully wear the rotor till they are fully seating and all the unlevelness is worn off it the two. Have you replaced any calipers or maybe have a frozen caliper to cause the light pedal?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Why do people choose against original parts is beyond me

Buy original replacement rotors and never worry about such problems as you do with this chinese crap.

Original rotors never rust, wont warp , wont ever give you a problem and they cost less then this china crap. Its a nobrainer to me.

Hope you learned your lesson.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
I saw UUC then it's junk don't buy it!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Why do people choose against original parts is beyond me

Buy original replacement rotors and never worry about such problems as you do with this chinese crap.

Original rotors never rust, wont warp , wont ever give you a problem and they cost less then this china crap. Its a nobrainer to me.

Not sure about the origin of the UUC rotors. There are plenty of parts from China that seem to work fine. IMO, you buy a $100 rotor...you get a $100 rotor.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Blocked Out

There may be some things from china that work fine but I still try to advise against them

I buy OEM rotors for $85+tax each from my local BMW deader and Im sure anyone else can get them at the same price. I dont see any reason to buy aftermarket parts when original parts dont really cost much.

IMG_1725
Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
IfUDntLuvMeH8Me

Quote:

Really? **** you too. This is why this message board has gone to **** in the last five years. If someone does have any knowledge to help out they don't post and those like this dick fill it with personal biases about what they like and insults.

Thanks to those who tried to help. I was able to sand off the zinc coating around the face of the rotor and bleed the break lines. Brakes work better, but I think I have a problem with the break lines.

(|OO\ (||||)(||||) /OO|)
Current mods: 18x8.5 CSLs | BFP CF CAI | Projector corners | eBay Headers | Smoked LED tails & markers | BSW Stage 1 Speaker kit w/ Sub | Conforti Shark Injector | Borla exhaust
Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Blocked Out

I always try to help everyone who s in need of help but we all learn from our mistakes. Your mistake was to use chinese non original parts on a quality car. Those rotors will rust within months, they will wear 3x as fast as original the chances of them warping are quadruple, just wait and see you dont have to argue you'll know once it happens. I honestly really do hope that you learned the lesson.

I've learned ALOT from my own mistakes, believe me and they were alot more expensive then a pair of rotors and I always say thanks when someone teaches me something new.

If you think Im a dick and in no help, then fine. At the end of the day its your choice to use which ever parts you want

IMG_1725
Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
the installation is kinda tricky, you have to make sure the calipers and brake pads are even it took me a while to set the fronts up, i never had any uneven wear but they did squeal a lot. Look thru the instructions make sure the installation was done properly.
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
The_Don

My Ride: 2001, 325Ci
Quote:
. Your mistake was to use chinese non original parts on a quality car. Those rotors will rust within months, they will wear 3x as fast as original the chances of them warping are quadruple, just wait and see you dont have to argue you'll know once it happens.
How do you know these rotors are made in China? Also, I just checked out the website and $68 for a pair of plain rotors ($110 for slotted) doesn't sound more expensive than OEM. Actually, I have used UUC replacement rotors twice and they have been just as good as OEM. Sounds like you're talking out of your a**.

For Sale
The_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Don View Post
How do you know these rotors are made in China? Also, I just checked out the website and $68 for a pair of plain rotors ($110 for slotted) doesn't sound more expensive than OEM. Actually, I have used UUC replacement rotors twice and they have been just as good as OEM. Sounds like you're talking out of your a**.
Where else would they be made for that cheap (34 bucks a piece) You can call them and ask its going to be either made in china or made in us by chinese.

$68 for a pair when originals are $85 each. Not much more expensive ??? How bout alot more expensive, but its a small price to pay for quality.

Im glad that you had a good experience with those rotors, but I can absolutely guarantee that you're the one talking out of a*s. No way in hell are those rotors just as good as originals. No way would those last as long as originals, originals dont rust and all these rust in a matter of months etc. They might be good enough to someone but I know for a fact that original rotors are best.

IMG_1725
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
The_Don

Do you have personal experience with these? Or are you just assuming? Mine haven never rusted, so I am curious where you get your information.

I admit that I think I misinterpreted what you were trying to say about the cost. I thought you were implying that these were more expensive than OEM, not the other way around.

For Sale

Last edited by The_Don; 03-07-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #14
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I have front and rear UUC blank rotors but haven't put them on the car yet because my current ones are still above minimum thickness. My current rotors are a bit rusty in the vane area along the edges, but I don't know if they are OEM or not.

I would think all cast iron rotors will rust a little on the rotor face if you park it wet because you can't have any plating or coating there that will survive an encounter with the brake pads. But the rust also doesn't survive the next braking experience so it doesn't stay long.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #15
IfUDntLuvMeH8Me

I admit that I am now becoming the very same cancer that has eaten away at this message board, but from a scientific and un-biased stand point, look at the following statements and please show me the truth.

Quote:
Where else would they be made for that cheap (34 bucks a piece) You can call them and ask its going to be either made in china or made in us by chinese.
Assumption. I don't expect you to do my research at all, but in a world with little fact, you cannot run around screaming wolf.

Quote:
...but I can absolutely guarantee that you're the one talking out of a*s. No way in hell are those rotors just as good as originals. No way would those last as long as originals, originals dont rust and all these rust in a matter of months etc. They might be good enough to someone but I know for a fact that original rotors are best.
Bias. Show me this "fact" that is, as defined, "a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true." Show us where the tests are that prove wear quality, evenness, and durability of UUC rotors compared to OEM rotors and I will shut up. Show us where as you put, "they will wear 3x as fast as original the chances of them warping are quadruple," and I will make a formal apology to you in writing. Those are very finite numbers for your studies to be false, so I want to see where I went wrong.

My OEMs did rust. It wasn't a matter of months yet a little over a decade. However, trash day was on Monday and I do not have pictures so as far as fact goes, it didn't happen.

Quote:
Quote:
$68 for a pair when originals are $85 each. Not much more expensive ??? How bout alot more expensive, but its a small price to pay for quality.
Finally, As far as teaching me, I am waiting on your test/experiment results done in a un-biased setting with controls and variables. Until then, the only fact here is that...
Quote:
At the end of the day its your choice to use which ever parts you want.
I'll let you reflect on your statements.

(|OO\ (||||)(||||) /OO|)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #16
The_Don

^ hey OP. Sorry I got side tracked, but to help you out with your original post question, the break in is a little different than what the pads dictate. The pads are going to sweep away the black coating after a few days, so try to not brake too hard and create too much heat before the coating is cleared away and the bare rotor shows. UUC probably forgot to send you break in instructions for the rotors( they are notorious for forgetting something these days) and the instructions are for sweeping away the coating. Keep an eye on the rotors as they clear up, and once they do, brake the pads in normally. It worked out well for me and I have had zero problems so far.

For Sale
Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
This thread is full of fail, op my rotors work great and have several thousand miles on them. How are yours? What kinda of scientific proof are you looking for? Common sense trumps scientific knowledge. It's very COMMON knowledge that UUC sucks. I'm sorry you were late to the game.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Don View Post
Do you have personal experience with these? Or are you just assuming? Mine haven never rusted, so I am curious where you get your information.

I admit that I think I misinterpreted what you were trying to say about the cost. I thought you were implying that these were more expensive than OEM, not the other way around.
I dont have experience with rotors sold by UUC but I have had alot of experience with aftermarket replacement rotors sold by other vendors. They rust and they wear out much quicker then originals. This is my 6th car and a 3rd BMW, and I changed rotors on every car that I owned. I dont see how these uuc ones are any better then ones sold by any other aftermarket company.

I might have mislead you myself because I've seen some aftermarket rotors be more expensive then originals, but when you said these particular ones only cost $68 a pair, it shocked me. Now I see why many people choose these , but I still think that the price of originals is a small price to pay for quality.

IMG_1725
Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUDntLuvMeH8Me View Post
Assumption. I don't expect you to do my research at all, but in a world with little fact, you cannot run around screaming wolf.

Bias. Show me this "fact" that is, as defined, "a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true." Show us where the tests are that prove wear quality, evenness, and durability of UUC rotors compared to OEM rotors and I will shut up. Show us where as you put, "they will wear 3x as fast as original the chances of them warping are quadruple," and I will make a formal apology to you in writing. Those are very finite numbers for your studies to be false, so I want to see where I went wrong.

Finally, As far as teaching me, I am waiting on your test/experiment results done in a un-biased setting with controls and variables. Until then, the only fact here is that...

You're the silliest person I've had to speak with in over 5 years.

I dont even know what to say, because your statements are so ridiculous.

IMG_1725
Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
I have R Concepts drilled and slotted rotors front and back my 328ci. They were the cheaper variety of the two they offered at the time. It took about a year for these to show signs of rust, which is normal and OEM definitely rust. I have over 40+K mileage on these and have done atleast 10 auto-X with them, as well as much spirited driving. The car just passed inspection again, and the rotors themselves have a good bit more life in them. Running Akebono EuroSport pads the entire time.

Many people hate on this brand, but I never had a problem with them so I just thought I'd share my experience with China Product...
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
328i, hawk ceramic pads, problem, uuc, zinc rotors