E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
2800 RPM dip w/ Euro2 tune? Do I reflash?

I've always had the ~2800 RPM dip, even after I flashed my DME to the Euro2, which was months ago.

I'm starting to wonder why that didn't fix it and if there is something else I can do to fix it.

I found an SIB that says the fix is to use Progman and update the DME to the latest version with DISv39 or later.

I know my Progman is v32, but I have no idea what version the daten files are. I'm guessing they are good enough.

The Euro2 tune didn't fix the problem, but would I be better off just using Progman and letting it pick the best DME flash and upgrade the DME? Once that's done, I'll just drive around with the CEL on for a while (SAP and Cats) and see if it fixes the 2800 RPM dips.

If it does, would there be any benefit to then flashing back to the Euro2 tune? Anyone else with a Euro tune have the 2800 RPM dip problem? Did you have it before?
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I maybe wrong on this, but my understanding is that there was a flash for the ZHP engines that BMW was doing on a case by case basis for a similar performance issue, but maybe at slightly higher engine RPM's??

The thing that confuses me it why after 6+ years is BMW releasing a new flash for these engines?? What was wrong with the original flash? What problem or issues are they trying to resolve?

It was my take that the DME flash issue is with a problem with the ignition timing prematurely retarding under heavy engine load. I think that maybe BMW felt that long term carbon build up in the combustion chambers may have contributed to the ignition retarding after 6+ years and many miles?? I also heard that there was an issue where under certain circumstances that the DISA was actually rattling at a low enough frequency to trigger the knock sensors?

Well there may be a way to take the DISA noise triggering the knock sensor out of the equation temporarily by unplugging the DISA, drive the car and see what happens. I believe?? I cannot recall what the DISA does when unplugged, but you may see a different performance issue show up, however your 2800 RPM dip may be different or non existent? Its worth a try to see what happens, as I say it does not cost anything! It probably will trigger a CEL for DISA circuit open?

Also I understand the DISA part number has been superseded and the new part number was to possibly combat noisy DISA problems causing issues with retarding the ignition timing and maybe some other changes. Not 100% sure this is totally accurate, but there may be some truth to this??

On the last note, I will know for sure the next week or so, parts just arrived Friday, that there may be some problems with BMW knock sensors aging and becoming overly sensitive and falsely retarding the ignition timing. I have been chasing a problem with one of my cars for over 1 year and I am both hopeful and fairly confident that I have identified and found the issue with faulty knock sensors. I believe that faulty knock sensors and/or noisy DISA may trigger shadow knock sensor codes, shadow engine too noisy codes and possibly shadow crank sensor codes. This is my observation, still do not have enough hard data to back up my findings yet.

So it I were you, if the car has never had a DISA replaced, I would first replace the DISA, then consider replacement knock sensors and I would also consider VANOS seals as well.

Hope this gives you some ideas and some things to think about.

Good luck.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Thanks for the input.

I did read that the dip has something to do with the O2 sensors reading too slow or the knock sensors maybe. No one is really sure. The 2800 RPM dip and the 4000 RPM 'surge' ZHP problem are often mixed together, so it's pretty confusing.

I have replaced the DISA in the past year or so. Just pulled it out to put on the new O-ring, and it still looks good.

The O2 sensors are less than a year old too.

The knock sensors have not been replaced though. I might look into those.

I have changed the VANOS seals in the last year. It didn't seem to fix the problem.

Interestingly, the temp dropped by 30* here, and it stopped doing the 2800 RPM dip. So that tells me that it's related more to knock, as I know that is affected by intake air temp and ignition.

I may still try to update the DME to the latest US version and see what happens. It will only cost me some time. I'll see if I can find a more recent Euro DME version as well.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Mc 007

My Ride: 325ci Performance
interesting
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Check the official thread. Several reported fixes. I posted mine on page 7.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=966614
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote