E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
My car progress to date!

Hello all! Just a nice and quick little thread about my car + wheels..

Like most people here, my car has been through a lot! This was my car way back when i bought it totally stock about a year ago.

My first mod, apart from the sound system, was to throw some 19" CSL Reps on it. Mainly because many people from here had installed these wheels and they grew on me a lot. I also liked the fact that these wheels gave a nice, subtle OEM look. Specs are 19x8 all around.

After having the 19's on i decided it was in need of a drop so installed BC Racing coilovers (type BR from memory). The coilovers in my eyes are my favourite mod as they provide you with ADJUSTABLE ride height! ME GUSTA!

Sadly i only have this photo of my car lowered on the CSLs, but you can see how it sat.

After a few months with the CSLs, i decided that i wanted something more aggressive as the CSLs were getting a tad boring for me. So after a long search i was lucky enough to purchase a nice set of Style 95's thanks to Nick! =) Specs are 18x8 +15 front and 18x9.5 +25 rears with 225/40/18 rubber all round. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE these wheels, they are perfect.

Washed and ready to go!

I put the rims on eventually, drove it about a 10m down the road, and all i heard was SCRUB SCRUB. The rubber was literally eating the guard. And this was why Lol;

You could literally sit a piece of paper in between the rubber and the guard.

Stupidly, i raised the car about 1cm thinking it will be alright, and drove around with them on that day just cause. I drove to the city that night and i parked in some car park that had a fairly decent sized entry ramp. I heard my wheels scrub pretty loud. Parked the car. Saw this. FUKNFML.

The rubber was literally sliced by the guard.

It was made quite clear to me that I had two choices, put the 68's back on, or the CSL's - Untill i get my guards rolled.... (it was easier to change the wheels rather than raising the car again) So decided to put the 68's back on cause i havnt seen what they look like on the car since lowering it!! ... It was wayyy too low.

So finally the time came around to getting my guards rolled (and flared a little). Sydney Guard Rolling did them and i can say that they did an excellent job! Sorry again but not that many pics.

Now that the guards are rolled, i have a bucked load more clearance. Although, i still had to raise the car abit as the rim is still practically hitting the guard (due to offset) which i need to fix!! But all in all i am happy with the result.

I love the wheels and how they look on the car. Next item on my to-do list is to powdercoat the wheels Palladium Silver or Gunmetal.

Oh and before i forget, here is my sound system... go easy on it as i havn't finished with it yet!! On display, Soundstream SPLX15, and DTR1.1700....

I am dying to do a professional photo shoot of my car but untill then here are some average pics off my iphone at a mates place after a wash! hope you all enjoyed!!! lots of e46 love -Steve

Last edited by steve.k; 05-02-2012 at 08:19 PM.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Pawley

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
where did your csl's end up?
Pawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
I remember seeing your car at uni with the CSLs, it looked really nice

Your boot set up should be good when you finish. We did mine at home too, and I think you can get some pretty decent results that way (shops do bodgy work that only lasts a year, do it yourself and you know it will hold).
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Looks great, killing it. imo don't change the wheel colour.
How do you find the BC's day to day (comfort/handling tradeoff), I think I'm about to pick up a set.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
Evap

My Ride: rubs tires
Where did you find the 18" style 95 reps?? I'd love to go back to 18"s, but I love my OEM 95s so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App
Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
L0s0

My Ride: a car
Looks great I need a pair out here in New Jersey
L0s0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
steve.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawley View Post
where did your csl's end up?
They are all wrapped up downstairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss325 View Post
I remember seeing your car at uni with the CSLs, it looked really nice

Your boot set up should be good when you finish. We did mine at home too, and I think you can get some pretty decent results that way (shops do bodgy work that only lasts a year, do it yourself and you know it will hold).
Thanks!! Yeah exactly, I was quoted 2 grand for pretty much what ive constructed myself. Ive spent probably $40 at bunnings and about half an hour looking up specs of the box. Sound audio places are rip offs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jall View Post
Looks great, killing it. imo don't change the wheel colour.
How do you find the BC's day to day (comfort/handling tradeoff), I think I'm about to pick up a set.
Thanks mate! Yeah well i wasnt going to paint the wheels but the actual colour looks dull when comparing them to my CSLs.. they need a fresh coat of something!

The BC's are awesome. Easily my favourite mod. I drive my car daily, it handles ten times better than stock. I have my shocks on 10 out of 30 (stiffness) and i'd say it feels just a tad bit firmer than stock. If i lowered it down to 5 all around it would be smooth as. But i need the firmness otherwise my wheels srub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evap View Post
Where did you find the 18" style 95 reps?? I'd love to go back to 18"s, but I love my OEM 95s so much.
They arent reps A mate on the forum had them for sale so i had to hit them up! Your wheels look amazing, if they are the ones in your sig - i wouldnt change them!

Edit: Just had a look at your build thread... your 19's look insane... how does that not rub!!!!

Last edited by steve.k; 03-06-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Damn not too many nice e46 coupes getting around Sydney lately... I like this one. Subtle and classy. :-)
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
TWD
The Weekend Detailer

My Ride: All sorts of cars
WOW! Steve, it looks fantastic. Once it is completely detailed, we'll organise a pro shoot with my photographer
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie.k View Post
If anyone can help me on how i can get more clearance in the rear that would be much appreciate it! its painful knowing my car isn't at its lowest height
Have you adjusted your rear camber arms? Or get adjustable ones?
ating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #11
forzamilan10

My Ride: '04 325Ci Sport
Nice car Steve, I'm thinking towards matte black kidney grills and spray paint my CSL rims gloss black, which seems to be the latest trend with European sports cars.

'04 325Ci + MYSTIC BLUE + EISENMANN RACE EXHAUST & MID-PIPE
forzamilan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
aar0n_91

My Ride: 05 BMW325CI///MSport
i made the cur. hells yea!!!!!!

BMW 325 CI ///M-SPORT INDIVIDUAL
aar0n_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #13
niiCk

My Ride: E90
STEVE bro! that looks awesome!

farout, your car mustve been pretty low to have sliced the tyre like that haha..but luckily its better now.

as for the rear..i rekon you should get some adjustable camber arms (which is what i was going to get)..just get the ones off ebay which are about $180 including delivery. They're fine, INDOMI is running them with no problems. Then you can camber in the rear a tad and lower it more
btw, if you want to lower the front, you could get skinnier tyres? theres some 215/40/18s tyres for sale lol then i can take back the 225/40s

and yeah, dont change the colour! maybe powder coating them in silver would just top it off, just to make it shine
niiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #14
Pawley

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
[QUOTE=stevie.k;14153421]They are all wrapped up downstairs /QUOTE]

PM me your asking price

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Pawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #15
steve.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E465 View Post
Damn not too many nice e46 coupes getting around Sydney lately... I like this one. Subtle and classy. :-)
Thanks man! Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post
WOW! Steve, it looks fantastic. Once it is completely detailed, we'll organise a pro shoot with my photographer
Yes!! I was hoping you would say that after looking at the e36 m3 shoot! haha.. definitely a photoshoot after the detail bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
Have you adjusted your rear camber arms? Or get adjustable ones?
I need to do my research on rear camber arms. I have no idea where they go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzamilan10 View Post
Nice car Steve, I'm thinking towards matte black kidney grills and spray paint my CSL rims gloss black, which seems to be the latest trend with European sports cars.
Thanks for the compliments Forza! Yeah i only installed the grills about a week ago.. they are slowly growing on me. I'd love to see what our colour car looks like with black csl's. Ps i want to hear your exhaust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiCk View Post
STEVE bro! that looks awesome!

farout, your car mustve been pretty low to have sliced the tyre like that haha..but luckily its better now.

as for the rear..i rekon you should get some adjustable camber arms (which is what i was going to get)..just get the ones off ebay which are about $180 including delivery. They're fine, INDOMI is running them with no problems. Then you can camber in the rear a tad and lower it more
btw, if you want to lower the front, you could get skinnier tyres? theres some 215/40/18s tyres for sale lol then i can take back the 225/40s

and yeah, dont change the colour! maybe powder coating them in silver would just top it off, just to make it shine
Haha thanks bro! I need to get that rear tyre changed... i always think it might explode or something cause half of the side wall is cut away lol, Yeah man i will definitely look into the rear camber arms. I have no idea what they look like or where they attach to lol.
I dont think i will go any lower in the front, it scrubs as it is now when i hit a dip in the road lol.. but i am thinking of doing skinnier tyres somewhere along the line, getting a bit of poke.
But yeah, they need a fresh coat of paint! i was thinking gunmetal but everyone seems to be against it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawley View Post

PM me your asking price

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
PM'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0n_91 View Post
i made the cuT. hells yea!!!!!!
haha.... man we need to do another photoshoot!!! we will do harbour bridge or something...

Last edited by steve.k; 03-06-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #16
niiCk

My Ride: E90
Quote:

Haha thanks bro! I need to get that rear tyre changed... i always think it might explode or something cause half of the side wall is cut away lol, Yeah man i will definitely look into the rear camber arms. I have no idea what they look like or where they attach to lol.
I dont think i will go any lower in the front, it scrubs as it is now when i hit a dip in the road lol.. but i am thinking of doing skinnier tyres somewhere along the line, getting a bit of poke.
But yeah, they need a fresh coat of paint! i was thinking gunmetal but everyone seems to be against it lol.
lol so it really sliced the sidewall off? but as long as the tyre is sitting then it'll be fine.
haha these are the camber arms:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-E36-E...item53ebd9b6cf

it attaches to the diff or something..you would adjust it longer i would pressume since its on the bottom, so it would push the bottom of the wheel out more..installing isnt that easy people say but if youre up for a DIY then give it a go!

and yeah if you do get the fronts replace anytime soon i might take the tyres off your hands..ive got spacers for you aswell if you want? HINTHINT!

and no, dont spray it gunmetal..trust me, silver would be best! aluminum silver?
niiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #17
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
and no, dont spray it gunmetal..trust me, silver would be best! aluminum silver?
Gunmetal is crap.... ask me how I know.

In the process of cleaning up my car; goodbye carbon badges, carbon trim, smoked corners and hopefully gunmetal wheels. OEM+ ftw. Keep up the super classy style you've got going, I dig it.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #18
steve.k

Quote:
lol so it really sliced the sidewall off? but as long as the tyre is sitting then it'll be fine.
haha these are the camber arms:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-E36-E...item53ebd9b6cf

it attaches to the diff or something..you would adjust it longer i would pressume since its on the bottom, so it would push the bottom of the wheel out more..installing isnt that easy people say but if youre up for a DIY then give it a go!

and yeah if you do get the fronts replace anytime soon i might take the tyres off your hands..ive got spacers for you aswell if you want? HINTHINT!

Haha i will order this asap! Im guessing it attaches to the bottom of the shock or something... oh well i'm always keen for a DIY so i will give it a shot lol. Im so keen to drop my car on the 95's!!!! But yeah i think i will give them a fresh coat of some bright silver. Cant wait. haha man if i ran spacers i wouldnt be able to drive period, there is about 1mm clearance at the front lol..

whats next in line for your car??? im missing all the wheel updates!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jall View Post
Gunmetal is crap.... ask me how I know.

In the process of cleaning up my car; goodbye carbon badges, carbon trim, smoked corners and hopefully gunmetal wheels. OEM+ ftw. Keep up the super classy style you've got going, I dig it.
Lol ok well it looks like i wont be painting them gun metal then!

Thanks for the kind words man. I like the fact that you are removing those things to 'clean it up', where most people would be adding those things to modify it lol. Boss move. OEM+ ftw!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #19
bmroxm5

My Ride: 135i
looks hot!
bmroxm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
Evap

My Ride: rubs tires
Quote:
They arent reps A mate on the forum had them for sale so i had to hit them up! Your wheels look amazing, if they are the ones in your sig - i wouldnt change them!

Edit: Just had a look at your build thread... your 19's look insane... how does that not rub!!!!

Style 95s only came in 19" off the e65. Maybe Borbet made them in 18" for another car, though. Can you look on the back and see if they're Borbet brand?

And they do rub.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App