E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #41
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
I have a empty e46 non m case here, I had it clearanced to fit a 188mm LSD center. I can email you a photo if the clearancing required to fit if you really want to know. It's a decent amount. With a ring gear attached and no spacer to adjust the centerline, it still needed clearance of the case. This was a side project to building up a nice os giken aftermarket unit for e46non-m. Took some spares off the shelf and tried to play the retro fit game. I change diff bearings and set ring /pinion gaps for diff builds, so it doesn't scare me.

The e46 cast housing is designed to clearance open diffs for installation.

if you mess with the spacing bolt on top cap of the e36/30 LSD center capsule the spider gear will also need a spacer. This opens up another very expensive/time consuming can of worms. My suggestion? Don't go there.

Perhaps adapting the e30 bearings and races and spacing would be smarter.
The e30/36 stub axels use a different standard e46, the circlip position is different, geometry also. Will the dust shields all line up post if Frankenstein-diffed?

The e46m unit can be re geared with Oem m division ring and pinion to 3.23 and 3.15 ratio. LSD center can be clutch type or gin visco-lok. I just built one up for turbo use (3.15 e46m clutch LSD diff). This would allow non m cars to Pnp a LSD in matching ratio to a 6500 rpm engine with a m3 rear subframe swap.

The e46m rear diff can be configured with genuine BMW parts to have a 4 bolt front flange that will mate with non m 4 bolt driveshaft 4 bolt pattern, this would allow upgrade of e46m of diff without buying a zhp 6 bolt driveshaft

Also the late model 2005/6 325ci/cabrio 6 speed SMG cars have a 4 bolt driveshaft in 6 speed length, they run a ZF 6 speed gearbox with identical length and mounting position in the body to the e46m gearbox.
So I can take the ring and pinion from a 3.15 open diff and swap it to the M3 rear and it will reinstall it with perfect fit?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
So I can take the ring and pinion from a 3.15 open diff and swap it to the M3 rear and it will reinstall it with perfect fit?
You need the right R+P, not just any E46 R+P

And it's not as easy as just swapping over. Lots of work to swap them.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #43
Hornung418

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
You need the right R+P, not just any E46 R+P

And it's not as easy as just swapping over. Lots of work to swap them.
So do you have links to these special Ring and Pinions?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #44
SoloII///M

nope
Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #45
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Subbed!

Brady, this should definitely be a viable option for non-Ms.

The M3 LSD is so useless with a 3.62. When I repair my subframe this summer, I'll be shooting for a 3.23 LSD, so hopefully this gains some great momentum in the near future!
The E46 M3 ring and pinion fits in the E39 M5 diff, so I would think the E39 M5 r&p would fit in the E46 M3 diff. If that's the case, you'd be able to get a 3.15 ratio.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #46
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Interesting stuff!

Sub'd
Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #47
SoloII///M

I'll probably sound like a broken record here but unless you're an expert on these differentials, they are best left to a pro like Dan at Diffsonline or Metric Mechanic. There are so many little things to setting these up. If you screw up one of them you're going to toast some expensive parts.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #48
crazyxzer0

My Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
Quote:
I'll probably sound like a broken record here but unless you're an expert on these differentials, they are best left to a pro like Dan at Diffsonline or Metric Mechanic. There are so many little things to setting these up. If you screw up one of them you're going to toast some expensive parts.
why even bother posting? I'm pretty sure this thread is just figuring out how to swap a E30/E36 unit into a E46. I think majority of the people in here know about professionals and what they can do.

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #49
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
How do you become an expert sir?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #50
jungy

My Ride: 01' 330i
Any progress updates? If this is successful I wanna try retrofitting the older lsd in my car.
Eurosport Monza wheels, ZHP front bumper, facelift hood, gloss black kidneys, 6000k xenon bulbs, 6000k angel eyes, smoked corners & side markers, ACS roof spoiler, ZHP lip spoiler, EE LED tails, Dynavin D99
Dinan CAI, Dinan exhaust, BB Supersprint Replica Headers, Dinan High Flow TB, Dinan s2 ECU, Dinan engine covers, UUC SSK, Dinan front & rear strut bars, Dinan sway bars, Dinan lowering springs, Koni yellow struts
jungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #51
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Well, I've run into a snag and I just haven't done anything about it. There are several allen head bolts that hold the "cap" on the unit. They are all stripping. All of them. I'm sure I could drill them, pop the heads off, and extract. I'm just not excited about doing that. I have a couple other projects that have gotten in the way and are taking what little cash I have to put towards the project. Trying to get a few things done for a dyno and then needing to get some money put away for a bit of tig welding on my exhaust.

This project isn't dead, just a little on hold.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #52
SoloII///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyxzer0 View Post
why even bother posting? I'm pretty sure this thread is just figuring out how to swap a E30/E36 unit into a E46. I think majority of the people in here know about professionals and what they can do.
You become an expert by trying things and failing. Which is great and I'm all for that approach, except that the OP stated that his goal was to save money.

Ultimately I think it will cost less money and be much less of a headache to just save up to buy an OSG that fits the E46 case and then teach yourself how to put it in.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #53
Hornung418

Since this is an active thread with some knowledgeable people posting in it, I'm curious as to how much lock-up you can modify to a stock M3 LSD. I've found 210mm 3.15 R+P for e39 M5s on eBay for $125, and it's a direct swap to the M3 case. But the OEM lock-up is pretty tame at 25%. So is it possible to add some extra clutch plates with out having to modify the shims?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #54
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Managed to get one of the bolts out by drilling. At least I know the size, now. I'm going to pick up a couple new bits and remove the rest and pull out the internals. Hopefully I can get it in for a little milling soon.

Brady
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #55
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Okay, a little progress. I took a suggestion about using a mean pair of vise grips. Bolts are off. They'll have to be replaced, anyway.

Popped it open:

Inside-out. It was in there pretty tight:

Everything kept in order:

I was worried a little about how everything would look. Aside from the nasty smell of gear oil, I think it's pretty clean. I'll clean everything up and send some pictures to Mr. Wizard to make sure everything is up to snuff. Now I need to get it to the machine shop for a little work.

Enjoy the small update.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #56
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
whoo! looks good!

let's hope this works!

Sent from my DROID Pro using Bimmer App
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #57
Hornung418

That's some exciting stuff!