E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #141
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
You are allowed to install equipment that was optional, aren't you? Not sure how that'd work with say.. a 3.38 or 3.64 diff (both of which were technically optional)
Neither of those ratios were optional on a manual-transmission 330i so they are not legal for a manual transmission 330i in STX.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #142
wanganstyle

My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_B View Post
@Wanganstyle, if you're still around I'd like to talk to you about an LSD for my ZHP. Although the OS Giken site lists a unit for the 330Ci, as you know the regular 330 has a 2.93 ratio, while the ZHP has a 3.07 ratio. I'm not sure I'm allowed to change the ratio in my SCCA Solo STX class.
for 188k units
2,65 / 2,79/ 2,93 / 3,07 use one offset of flange for the diff/ring gear relationship

3,15-4,10++ use a different offset of geometry. the measurement data is listed on Quaife and others websites

For solo rules one will not be able to legally change the final drive to a different one as there were no "options" for final drive ratios.
OS Giken does not make a LOW offset unit for 188K;

IF one was to fudge the truth a little......a 3,15 final drive would fit with OS giken directly into the 188k 330i case; and even I cant figure out the difference without unbolting the cover and checking the stamped ring gear code.

I'm not suggesting cheating or lying.....just suggesting being competitive

3,15 / 3,23 / 3,38 are all pretty common ratios for the 188K and very very close to the ZHP original 3,07.......

if you have a nationally campaigned car with good results OS even sponsors serious racers

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 11-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #143
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I'm sure no company wants to sponsor cheating...

I may be looking to sell my Blanton-built 3.07 ZF LSD soon, need to send it to him to have a clunk checked out.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #144
wanganstyle

E30/36 LSD into E46 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
I'm sure no company wants to sponsor cheating...

I may be looking to sell my Blanton-built 3.07 ZF LSD soon, need to send it to him to have a clunk checked out.
If you are scared to compete in Motorsports then church may be a better location than the Scca solo event on Sundays.

If one wishes for faster times the ancient ZF would be replaced by a modern OS Giken. Doesn't matter who magically builds the ZF; I build them with unicorn special ramps here for each specific car/driver;

OS units product faster lap times from better engineering

Competition adapts to competition. If you are not cheating the rules in Motorsports you are not trying hard enough;

The Japanese tire companies are most famous for having "street rating tread wear" tires that look like the represented street tire at "180 wear" but seem to just have about the grip of a "60" tread wear dot R. I'm sure it's just a special spray or something.......not.

Somehow the top runner spec e30's and spec miatas always have quite a lot more acceleration although the dyno numbers are supposed to be within range. Have you ever listened to a spec race in person???

Spec cars have identical intakes and mufflers; but somehow the front runners engines produce significantly more volume from the spec muffler everyone runs. How does that work? Might someone or more than a third of the pack be cheating with a bigger built engine???

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

LSD dreamers thread

Last edited by wanganstyle; 11-13-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #145
murph1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
If you are scared to compete in Motorsports then church may be a better location than the Scca solo event on Sundays.

If one wishes for faster times the ancient ZF would be replaced by a modern OS Giken. Doesn't matter who magically builds the ZF; I build them with unicorn special ramps here for each specific car/driver;
Wow dude, way to go off the rails...

Yes, an OS Giken should be faster, but given that everyone in grid knows it can't fit legally, showing up with OS Giken stickers and their name in your sponsor line is a great way to end up without valid times or a sponsor.

Quote:
Competition adapts to competition. If you are not cheating the rules in Motorsports you are not trying hard enough;
BS drivel from someone who clearly has never actually competed at a high level, especially in SCCA Solo!

I'm not interested in finding out who can cheat the best. I'm interested in finding out who can build and drive the best. Thankfully autocross is so heavily weighted toward driving skill that minor cheating like a 3.15 instead of a 3.07 is likely to be overshadowed by that chump's inability to turn a wheel competently.

Seriously, this isn't spec Miata, we're competing for $5 trophies, at the national level maybe they're $10 trophies.

I sit on the SCCA Street Touring Advisory Committee, and I'd suggest that maybe the local drag strip is a better place for you on a Sunday morning...
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #146
wanganstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
Wow dude, way to go off the rails...

Yes, an OS Giken should be faster, but given that everyone in grid knows it can't fit legally, showing up with OS Giken stickers and their name in your sponsor line is a great way to end up without valid times or a sponsor.

BS drivel from someone who clearly has never actually competed at a high level, especially in SCCA Solo!

I'm not interested in finding out who can cheat the best. I'm interested in finding out who can build and drive the best. Thankfully autocross is so heavily weighted toward driving skill that minor cheating like a 3.15 instead of a 3.07 is likely to be overshadowed by that chump's inability to turn a wheel competently.

Seriously, this isn't spec Miata, we're competing for $5 trophies, at the national level maybe they're $10 trophies.

I sit on the SCCA Street Touring Advisory Committee, and I'd suggest that maybe the local drag strip is a better place for you on a Sunday morning...

I race wheel to wheel; have you ever raced wheel to wheel with contact?

I find very few solo superstars dare to actually race. Even locals with solo national champ jackets don't handle 150++ cars wheel to wheel on a road course very well

Wheel to wheel Endurance racing is a much better use of time than Solo "racing"; solo is not racing.

I'll be at the road course where real motorsports happens. I only show up a few times a year to the local parking lot events for amusement and practice. You have obviously never watched a spec race in person if you don't believe in motorsports cheating - do you drive on road courses often?

Pay for the OS Giken out of pocket for solo then; and run it - you can obviously afford it. The sponsorship is only a 20% discount; if you can afford a Blanton unit you can afford an OS Giken - full price or 20% off.

LSD dreamers thread

Last edited by wanganstyle; 11-13-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #147
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
This is a great thread, let's not turn it into a "my motorsport of choice is better than your motorsport of choice" please.

The Giken is a great diff once it's set up. Out of the box I'm not sure it's appreciably better than anything else out there. Some people have had pretty bad experiences with the out of the box setup (essentially getting a drift diff for a roadrace car... not good).

Last edited by SoloII///M; 11-13-2013 at 02:09 PM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #148
murph1379

I'll add that at least in my own opinion (and while I've competed nationally for a number of years, I have only a couple trophies and none at Nationals, so take my opinion for whatever it's worth) the less lockup the better for autocross. We make tight enough turns that a diff set for road racing might think it's seeing wheelspin, and then it's push city. (accel or decel)

Some people like that though, they'll set it up with virtually no lock under decel to get it to rotate, then lots of lock on acceleration so they can power out once the car is pointed in the right direction. My feeling is if I wanted to drive that way, I would buy a civic.

I want both ends of the car to turn a bit while braking, and to continue to rotate on both ends a bit as I add power out of the corner, without getting too crazy on either entry or exit. It took three iterations of my ramps and preload before I got it where I like it.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #149
wanganstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
This is a great thread, let's not turn it into a "my motorsport of choice is better than your motorsport of choice" please.

The Giken is a great diff once it's set up. Out of the box I'm not sure it's appreciably better than anything else out there. Some people have had pretty bad experiences with the out of the box setup (essentially getting a drift diff for a roadrace car... not good).
PRO Drift setting for an OS Giken would be a 2.0 way; none of the BMW units ship normally in 2.0 way; one would have to special order the ramps cut for you. Standard OS is 35/65 ramp angles (accel/deccel) for nominal 1.5 way action. Same for Kaaz; deactivating pairs of plates is common practice.

Any aftermarket many clutch + ASYM ramped diff has that issue; the OEM BMW unit is very mild and is a great setup for 1 size fits all; almost impossible to beat it out of the box for a BMW application. 25% locking 2 way equal ramps can rock it out on track, solo, etc.

AutoX is an extremely interesting diff setting that is unique to autoX; Nobody else really enjoys this diff setting. High lock accel and minimal lock deccel. If one desired to customize an OS the negative springs could be changed to very stiff and ramps ordered in 1.2 way (aggressive accel and almost open diff deccel).

Road race cars can run 1.5 AND OR 2 way settings depending on chassis setup / driver.

LSD dreamers thread

Last edited by wanganstyle; 11-14-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #150
M3J0N

My Ride: See Sig
Send a message via AIM to M3J0N
sorry to come in late, but I just saw waganstyle's link in his signature. Did any non-M e46s come from the factory with LSD that bolt into a touring? I was considering swapping in a m3 diff, but there is way too much work and parts required for that retrofit.
04 M3 Coupe 6sp Carbon Black/Black (Sold)
95 M3 Coupe 5sp Carbon Black/Black (Sold)
95 M3 Coupe 5sp Avus/Dove Grey 3.2L Swap (Current)
90 M3 Coupe 5sp Diamond Black/Black 3.0L Swap (Current)
96 M3 Coupe 5sp Estoril Blue/Black (Current)
01 325iT Wagon Auto Titanium Silver/Red Sport (Current)

Last edited by M3J0N; 09-07-2014 at 12:33 PM.
M3J0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #151
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3J0N View Post
sorry to come in late, but I just saw waganstyle's link in his signature. Did any non-M e46s come from the factory with LSD that bolt into a touring? I was considering swapping in a m3 diff, but there is way too much work and parts required for that retrofit.

There currently is a Group Buy going on with forum sponsor M-Factory. A helical lsd which is great for the street is $799. If you want M-Factory to professionally install it for you, just add $400, now you'll have a ready to use diff that has been setup properly.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #152
M3J0N

My Ride: See Sig
Send a message via AIM to M3J0N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
There currently is a Group Buy going on with forum sponsor M-Factory. A helical lsd which is great for the street is $799. If you want M-Factory to professionally install it for you, just add $400, now you'll have a ready to use diff that has been setup properly.

Good luck,
Rob43
thanks. so no e46 came with LSD from the factory?
04 M3 Coupe 6sp Carbon Black/Black (Sold)
95 M3 Coupe 5sp Carbon Black/Black (Sold)
95 M3 Coupe 5sp Avus/Dove Grey 3.2L Swap (Current)
90 M3 Coupe 5sp Diamond Black/Black 3.0L Swap (Current)
96 M3 Coupe 5sp Estoril Blue/Black (Current)
01 325iT Wagon Auto Titanium Silver/Red Sport (Current)

M3J0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #153
Llink78

My Ride: 2002 330i
Nope

234HP/197TQ Just bolt ons :) New Numbers Coming Soon!
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #154
wanganstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3J0N View Post
thanks. so no e46 came with LSD from the factory?

only:

E46 M3
E46 M3 Cabrio

e46 non-M cars and E60/ E39 non-M and e90/92 non-M...... are all screwed.

No OEM LSD avail;

LSD dreamers thread

Tags
e36, lsd