E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
SlimE46

My Ride: 330xi e46
Vibrations and wobbling.

Long story short. Ive got a 2003 330xi, i recently replaced the drivers side front hub assembly, shock , and shock mount/"hat". I noticed when changing it that my axels cv joint boot was ripped but had no time or funds to change the axel at the moment. Now when i drive, at slow speeds and while stopped id i turn the wheel there is an awfully loud creaking/ clicking sound. It was not so loud at first but as the weeks went on it is now very loud and noticeable. I was told many things but is it possible that this noise is from the hub being the wrong one? Its from a 2003 325xi. The manufacturing date is unknown. Symptoms are vibration when braking, the "wobble" effect when driving like my wheel is shaped like an egg. The creaking/ clicking noise when stopped or turning slowly.

Last edited by SlimE46; 11-07-2012 at 02:12 PM.
SlimE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
And..??

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Cool story bro.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
SlimE46

My bad i hit post when i wasn't supposed to lol. Im traveling on a bumpy road right now. I refined my story haha
Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
That's better...LOL.
The creaking/clicking is your CV joint(s)-Shot.
The wobbling is probably the FCABs.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
SamDoe1

As far as I know, the hubs are the same. I'm assuming you mean part 5 (31201096423) from this diagram:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...64&hg=31&fg=10

If yes the hubs are the same:

Quote:
Part 31201096423 (DRIVE FLANGE) was found on the following vehicles:

E46: Details on E46
E46 325xi Sedan
E46 325xi Touring
E46 330xi Sedan
Other than that, I agree with Rickna's diagnosis.

Lastly, why in the world are you posting on here while driving on a bumpy road?

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-07-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
SlimE46

Im in a car as a passenger going on a back road trip, roads are horrible right now haha. I replaced the whole carrier, i got it offline as one whole assembly. It was the hub, kingpin, bearing etc. off a 325xi which i was told was the same exact part as a 330xi. Ok so even if i got the old part there should be no change in the hub. But could something from the whole carrier being different be throwing something off?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE46 View Post
Im in a car as a passenger going on a back road trip, roads are horrible right now haha. I replaced the whole carrier, i got it offline as one whole assembly. It was the hub, kingpin, bearing etc. off a 325xi which i was told was the same exact part as a 330xi. Ok so even if i got the old part there should be no change in the hub. But could something from the whole carrier being different be throwing something off?
Doubt the carrier and hub would make any difference as it's not a rotating assembly. The only thing could be if you installed the bearing incorrectly. If everything has been installed properly, I'm guessing most of your vibration issues are caused by the axle being bad and likely some suspension issues as well. Check ball joints for play, upper strut mounts for play, loose sway bar links and bushings, etc... Basically get under the car and start shaking things till you find something that moves and it shouldn't.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Its not the hub, you tripping! !

Change axle with GKN Loebro Only!!!!!!!!!

. I've found these shafts on both pelicanparts.com and RMEuropean.com for about $280.

Change control arm if still vibrating after axle replacement!!!

I'm %100 that axle is the biggest issue with this AWD front axle!

A lot loose feeling! You can actually tell that the axle is loose inside the differential causing weird handling and vibrations due axle movement on the differential thread not holding the "Aftermarket axle " don't ask me y bra.

If they oem and not making click click sound like there dry, Send them to have the boot repaired and re greased.

GL

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Bimmer App
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Probably left your axle nut a bit loose or perhaps it didn't seat all the way in the diff. I have a 330xi spindle on my 325xi, no issues
Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
SlimE46

I never removed the axel from the diff. But i had a really hard time getting the axel back into the new hub because i did not have a puller so once i got the threads far enough in i put the nut on and hit it with an impact wrench to force it the rest of the way... And here comes the "flameage"... Now that i think about it i re used the old nut saying to myself "ill get a new one tomorrow" and never did... Just bought a new one and im going to attempt to install it while doing my oil change. Ill report back soon... Smh
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
you can reuse the nutts, just make sure they are secured down (pry the little metal tab in, etc).
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
SlimE46

Realized that i don't have the right style socket for the axel nut so ill do it at work tomorrow. The threads look very close to the brim of the nut so i think it may in fact have backed out a bit. O well we will see tomorrow i guess. Thanks everyone for the help
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
SlimE46

Ok so i finally found some time to look at it. Me and a bmw tech found that the shock i had replaced is missing the washers that go under the top bolt where the strut goes into the strut hat. So when i turn the wheel the strut is trying to turn but the bolt is touching metal to metal thus makin the sound.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
SlimE46

I havent had time to take a really good look but do i have to take the whole strut apart and put the washers in and pop it back in or can i pop out the bolt while its still installed in the car and put the washers and close it all back up??
Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE46 View Post
I havent had time to take a really good look but do i have to take the whole strut apart and put the washers in and pop it back in or can i pop out the bolt while its still installed in the car and put the washers and close it all back up??
Take the whole thing out. I wouldn't disassemble a strut while still attached to the car...
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Take the whole thing out. I wouldn't disassemble a strut while still attached to the car...
+1 Unlees you want body parts in orbit...

My_Mods_&_Stuff